Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Are you really still on the fence about it? Just buy thedamn thing already!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ginch

+1....or let someone else have it.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude. If you want a 15+ year old car to not have any issues, a Porsche 993 is not for you. Buy a Toyota or something else.
It looks like all the major repairs that need to be done to an older 911 have been done. Make your best deal, buy the car, keep some money aside for repairs and enjoy it!!!
If you dither too long someone here will buy it from under you ....
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
Dude. If you want a 15+ year old car to not have any issues, a Porsche 993 is not for you. Buy a Toyota or something else.
It looks like all the major repairs that need to be done to an older 911 have been done. Make your best deal, buy the car, keep some money aside for repairs and enjoy it!!!
After putting the dealer through all this I hope you buy this car
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I'M WITH YOU GUYS!!!

Originally Posted by Rialas
+1
Originally Posted by ginch
Originally Posted by e3photo
+1....or let someone else have it.
Originally Posted by RS man
After putting the dealer through all this I hope you buy this car
First, YES!!! Make no mistake, I am planning to buy this... I have a deposit on the car, a price set, paperwork is in the mail.

Not sure if you guys read the whole thread, but I was looking to the more tech inclined guys here to chime in, on engine re-seal, PPI and then differential. They raised some really good points and the dealer, Brumos and sales guy John Schaefer, more than accommodating to my questions and requests.

I appreciate everyone here, but really felt torn at certain points, I kept getting this kind of positive response, which is awesome; but also a lot of questions on how work was done, etc. which I wanted to follow up... I am sure some questions have not been answered as well as some would like, but I feel now I have a very strong take on the car and can move forward with it, regardless of others opinions either way!

That said, everyone here rocks and the input has been invaluable... next posts will hopefully be introducing the car!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Well after all this, don't expect anyone to offer a good reliable delivery service to send the car to LA. If you fly to the East Coast and drive it back to CA you get extra Rennpoints. I'm coming to CA to drive a 993 back to FL then up the coast to CT next week...if I hadn't already booked a flight I'd offer to drive your car out there for you

Good luck with your car...if this one isn't it...there is another one out there with your name on it.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Academictech
Well after all this, don't expect anyone to offer a good reliable delivery service to send the car to LA. If you fly to the East Coast and drive it back to CA you get extra Rennpoints. I'm coming to CA to drive a 993 back to FL then up the coast to CT next week...if I hadn't already booked a flight I'd offer to drive your car out there for you

Good luck with your car...if this one isn't it...there is another one out there with your name on it.
Extra Rennpoints!!! I like it, where do I redeem?

I have been looking at a few enclosed carriers to ship back here if I can't do the drive... any issues with those if bonded and insured?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've shipped a car that I sold in an open carrier, no issues. I shipped a car that I bought enclosed (Passport) and it was immaculate when delivered, but wow was it expensive!

Congrats on your new baby! She looks wonderful and from reading this entire thread, I think you've covered all the bases adequately to say the least.

The problem with these forums is that when you ask for advice or "how does this look?" no one wants to say "that's fine, don't worry." Everyone is wary, cautious and conservative in their advice. So they write things like "make sure he does this" and "absolutely don't buy the car without a detailed oil analysis and have a forensic accountant go through the service history to looks for any anomalies." Which is all great advice, but at some point you just have to trust your gut and do all that can be reasonably done, and go for it.

Worse possible case is that you get a POS and you have to sell it at a loss. I don't think that's a concern with this one.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

+1 with what ^ said.

I would drive it home if you can swing the time. It is great fun and a bonding experience.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 My father-in-law drove a 356 S90 back to KC after buying it Santa Barbara a few years back. A great experience
Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

A little birdie told me you just got your car. Well, actually, that's a lie. I saw your post on a detail thread. So how was the first drive and don't forget you owe us ____________(s)?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Exclamation arrived!!!

Originally Posted by JB 911
A little birdie told me you just got your car. Well, actually, that's a lie. I saw your post on a detail thread. So how was the first drive and don't forget you owe us ____________(s)?
Thx JB

I do owe all of you lots of thanks for the input leading up to this point, a proper intro, my first impressions and some decent pix of the car (anything else???), which I will post in a new thread soon!

But, for the moment, here are a few pix of her in the driveway after she was delivered...

Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Good job, now enjoy it...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Good job, now enjoy it...
Thx dober

Enjoyed it on Mulholland Drive this am... love your neck of the woods, wife is from west coast of CA, we used to have a place in Yaletown

Quick Reply: Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?