Sport Seats for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asofine
As for a picture...

Nice seats! I have sport seats as well. I really like them over the standard ones. My previous 1996 C4S didn't have them, so finding them in my current car was a bonus. Anyone needing to add color to their interior must get the sport seats and paint them!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister C
I haven't actually sat in them but I from reading on this forum they seem quite desirable and are expensive. Many seem to prefer them over stock seats. I wish mine had them but the Recaro's it came with are just fine.

They should definitely increase sale price.

Good luck with your hunt. This forum is your friend. I have learned many things from the generous people here.
ok thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TONY AIR C2S
My car happen to come with sport seats, I like them and they seem to bring a premium. I would recommend buying the best overall condition of the car you can find. A 6 speed manual over a tip brings a much higher premium than seats. Good luck with the hunt.
yeah, definitely not getting a TIP!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grappamon
I have that same combo your looking for, not sure I'm ready to sell ...but if the offer is right. I could be pursueded.
beautiful car but my personal preference is not to have the aero kit...otherwise, i would make you an offer for sure!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy88
Nice seats! I have sport seats as well. I really like them over the standard ones. My previous 1996 C4S didn't have them, so finding them in my current car was a bonus. Anyone needing to add color to their interior must get the sport seats and paint them!

Thanks Are your current ones 993 sport seats? Appear to be 996 from the photo...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sports seats command around $4K, so I'd say the market believes they are desirable.

Here's a bad pic of what sport seats look like out of my, coincidentally, Polar Silver over black 993 C4S, plus another shot of my car. Feel free to make me a crazy offer on my car
thanks for the pic! what's the mileage and options? my preference is to have the 18" twists. I'm willing to pay a fair market price for a car. something with 30-50k miles on it for somewhere in the 50's.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
kandles
Intermediate

I might be the exception, but I'm not a big fan of my sport seats. Here are my thoughts on them:

Supportiveness:
- More supportive than the standard comfort seats, but they won't do the trick if you really want to be held in place a la even the least supportive Recaro seat.

Aesthetics:
- Subjective, but I think they look fantastic.

Comfort:
- This is where I believe they lose points. Maybe it's because of my awkward build (5'7", 150 lbs), but I just don't find them comfortable, especially when my basis for comparison is the supple leather comfort seats in my old 911 (the name doesn't lie!). I've never been able to identify exactly what the reason is, but I often find my back aching after I've been in the car for more than an hour or so. I've tried changing my seating position several times to little effect. It could be the lack of lumbar support or maybe just the contour of the seat?

I would bet you'll see anywhere from a $1k-3k premium for a car with sport seats. All else being equal, I wouldn't splurge for the difference. If you're not crazy about maintaining the stock look, you can easily used the saved $ to go for an aftermarket option if the comfort seats don't do it for you. EDIT: I should point out that buying a set of sport seats after the fact is a difficult and expensive endeavor (likely no less than $2k and - if they are pristine - maybe as much as $4-5k). They don't come up FS often and when they do the seller may have you by the *****.

Just my $0.02!
awesome info...thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
kandles
Intermediate

As for a picture...

great pix...thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN
Kandles, here is a picture of my 993 sport seats this will allow you to see what they look like, they are my personal preference and because they are a personal preference like all other options on a Porsche the resale value is between what the buyer and seller wants and feel they need. I think they sell from $2,500.00 to $3,500.00 a pair for used seats when they do become available on the used parts market. ( some sellers on E Bay are asking up to $5000.00 for a pair of sport seats. ).......
sweet...thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by kandles
I'm willing to pay a fair market price for a car. something with 30-50k miles on it for somewhere in the 50's.
Well then my car probably isn't for you.

Though it's got pretty much all of the most desirable options, it's got 91K miles and, even though it's in amazing condition, I couldn't let you pay me somewhere in the $50s for it. It's only worth in the $40Ks.
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The 993 sport seats production came in a few flavors; Full electric, partial electric (manual for and aft adjustment) and heated, non heated versions.

As for fitment and or comfort level, the seats themselves are on the slim side so let that be your guide. I'm 5'10" @ 175lbs and luv the seats fit. Asthetically speaking ,,, that's there big draw.
that's great...im 5 9, 160, so should be a good fit...thx for the info!
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kandles
yeah, definitely not getting a TIP!
Well, if you're looking for an AWD 993 you don't have to worry about whether it is equipped with a tip..............

Back to the seats, no way, no how do I own a Porsche without them. (Unless we're talking about a car that needs a fixed back competition seat.) The ancient units in my '73S were fantastic. The old 930 sport seats were great. The ones I had in my SC that came out a Carrera made the ~20K yr. I put on that car oh-so comfortable. The cloth units OE in the RS America worked just fine for when I got #2, and used it for hybrid street/track duty. Absolutely a deal breaker if my 4S didn't have the hardbacks. And I've got the softbacks from the yellow car sitting in storage (ownership unclear) for whenever a cab or other miscellaneous 964 or 993 drops in my lap.

But that's just me @ 5'9/190, and of pretty normal proportion.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Sport seats average $4200 a set plus shipping, some people think they are over priced but it boils down to what you like ,
As for me I LOVE them and will never own a car with out them

If anyone has a set for sell send me a PM

Last edited by Opo; 07-03-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Kiwi01
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Opo ... has put together a very nice collection ... the sports seats really set his cars off. His $$ is pretty accurate from what I've seen ... I'm not sure if that includes the work he has had done to therm or not. These aftermarket prices are crazy ...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

For desirability, they are very sought after but for comfort they are overrated. I had standard seats in my last car and hard back sport seats in my current car. I'm glad I have them but wouldn't buy a car based on them, the standard seat is about the same in comfort.

Quick Reply: Sport Seats for 993?