993 Forum 1995-1998

Sport Seats for 993?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Seats for 993?

I'm in the market for my first 993. I'm specifically looking for a 993 C4S in Silver or Polar Silver over Black. I know, who isn't right? I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding the sport seats. I've never seen or sat in them and was wondering if they are more desirable than the standard, less desirable or at the end of the day it's just personal preference. Also curious how they effect resale. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't actually sat in them but I from reading on this forum they seem quite desirable and are expensive. Many seem to prefer them over stock seats. I wish mine had them but the Recaro's it came with are just fine.

They should definitely increase sale price.

Good luck with your hunt. This forum is your friend. I have learned many things from the generous people here.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

My car happen to come with sport seats, I like them and they seem to bring a premium. I would recommend buying the best overall condition of the car you can find. A 6 speed manual over a tip brings a much higher premium than seats. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
grappamon
Rennlist Member

I have that same combo your looking for, not sure I'm ready to sell ...but if the offer is right. I could be pursueded.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Sports seats command around $4K, so I'd say the market believes they are desirable.

Here's a bad pic of what sport seats look like out of my, coincidentally, Polar Silver over black 993 C4S, plus another shot of my car. Feel free to make me a crazy offer on my car
Attached Images   
Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I might be the exception, but I'm not a big fan of my sport seats. Here are my thoughts on them:

Supportiveness:
- More supportive than the standard comfort seats, but they won't do the trick if you really want to be held in place a la even the least supportive Recaro seat.

Aesthetics:
- Subjective, but I think they look fantastic.

Comfort:
- This is where I believe they lose points. Maybe it's because of my awkward build (5'7", 150 lbs), but I just don't find them comfortable, especially when my basis for comparison is the supple leather comfort seats in my old 911 (the name doesn't lie!). I've never been able to identify exactly what the reason is, but I often find my back aching after I've been in the car for more than an hour or so. I've tried changing my seating position several times to little effect. It could be the lack of lumbar support or maybe just the contour of the seat?

I would bet you'll see anywhere from a $1k-3k premium for a car with sport seats. All else being equal, I wouldn't splurge for the difference. If you're not crazy about maintaining the stock look, you can easily used the saved $ to go for an aftermarket option if the comfort seats don't do it for you. EDIT: I should point out that buying a set of sport seats after the fact is a difficult and expensive endeavor (likely no less than $2k and - if they are pristine - maybe as much as $4-5k). They don't come up FS often and when they do the seller may have you by the *****.

Just my $0.02!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

As for a picture...

Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Kandles, here is a picture of my 993 sport seats this will allow you to see what they look like, they are my personal preference and because they are a personal preference like all other options on a Porsche the resale value is between what the buyer and seller wants and feel they need. I think they sell from $2,500.00 to $3,500.00 a pair for used seats when they do become available on the used parts market. ( some sellers on E Bay are asking up to $5000.00 for a pair of sport seats. ).......
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

The 993 sport seat production came in a few flavors; Full electric, partial electric (manual for and aft adjustment) and heated, non heated versions.

As for fitment and or comfort level, the seats themselves are on the slim side so let that be a guide. I'm 5'10" @ 175lbs and luv the seats fit.

Asthetically speaking ,,, that's half of the sport seats big draw. My .02
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ Midnight blue Sport seats drive me craaaaazzzzy!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JPP
^^^ Midnight blue Sport seats drive me craaaaazzzzy!
And they're mint...they're electric, they're heated...I'd sell 'em for a pretty penny but I just don't know what I'd replace them with .
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine
And they're mint...they're electric, they're heated...I'd sell 'em for a pretty penny but I just don't know what I'd replace them with .
Well, if they didn't come with the car from the factory, I hope you kept the stock seats so you can realize that 'bonus' later :-)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JPP
Well, if they didn't come with the car from the factory, I hope you kept the stock seats so you can realize that 'bonus' later :-)
Factory-equipped...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
I always wanted sports seats to complete my car, until just before Christmas.
When I had the opportunity to sit in them and to be honest they are uncomfortable, that don't rap around your body like the standard seats, it was like sitting on top of a seat and not in the seat.

I imagined the sports seat to be like a race seat, but it was like the opposite.

I think the issue is that the sides of the sports seats angle out, hence don't rap around your body.

I am not a big person, so may be the race seats are for a bigger person, but then you would be sitting on top of the seat more, than in the seat.

I still like the look of the sports more than the standard, they do finish off the look of the interior.

Last edited by Neil Perry; 01-25-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by kandles
at the end of the day it's just personal preference. Also curious how they effect resale. Thanks for your help!
personal preference.

imo they are an overpriced "notch-in-the-options-belt",
but
I like the way they fit my body, and they look cool if the backs are painted body color.

figure on ~ $1500 increase in sale price if the car has them
but
plan on paying close to double that if you buy them "aftermarket".
crazy logic, but true imo.

good luck with your hunt.

Quick Reply: Sport Seats for 993?