Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Installation thread for KONI FSD suspension - UPDATE #1

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Granted, you're not supposed to use a cordless impact wrench on these bolts... but I would. Perhaps tighten a strap around the shock shaft to help prevent rotation, then hit that nut with the impact wrench. Otherwise you're scrapping the shock. I guess you could take your broken Allen wrench and weld it to the shaft top. Personally, I'd say hell with that, just use the impact wrench. People with moton/JRZ/mcs do so every time.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that are following along w/ CRW - let me add emphasis to checking the front control arm bushings. Even though my car has only 22k miles on it - I took the sage advise of RL members - and pulled the control arms and checked the bushings. They were visibly sagging; my mechanic agreed they were shot.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Dplus
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry you ran into trouble; hopefully you get it sorted without too much pain and expense. I plan on installing the same set up one day so thanks much for taking the time post this!
Undercarriage looks great too.

Good Luck with the rest of the install!

D.

Last edited by Dplus; 02-05-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4nih
They were visibly sagging.
Sagging? You mean the rubber turned to mush at a mere 22K miles?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

For those that are following along w/ CRW - let me add emphasis to checking the front control arm bushings. Even though my car has only 22k miles on it - I took the sage advise of RL members - and pulled the control arms and checked the bushings. They were visibly sagging; my mechanic agreed they were shot.
Therein lies the truth: time takes a toll.

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Sagging? You mean the rubber turned to mush at a mere 22K miles?
Keep on believing your suspension doesn't need refreshing.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 364 Posts

Any updates?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

Yes; they were clearly deteriorated. My car is a '97, so its 16 years old w/ 22k miles (and I put 2.6k of that on it bringing home from LV to VA this fall). I didn't "want" to believe the bushing could be bad since the car is cosmetically/mechanically perfect in so many ways. But the bushings were shot.

Thanks to the "nagging" from RL'ers about checking the bushings, I checked them. So my recommendation to others doing a suspension "upgrade" is to take the extra hour to pull both control arms and check the bushings.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by crw

I am going to get help from a friend on Monday.

I am open to ideas.

What we were thinking is:

1. Tack weld to the allen wrench bit and pull it out.
2. Cut off the 19mm nut with a diamond wheel
3. Clean up the 19mm theads with a die
4. New 19mm nut

If the Allen wrench bit won't come out, I can hold the shock shaft with a vice grip and tighten the 19mm nut down to 43 pounds similar to the OEM set up (which does not have a hollow hex anyway).

I think I can salavge this.

Worse case scenario I am going to have to purchase a new single shock for $250.

Learn from my mistake.

Easily salvageable with a dremel, cutting wheel and a chisel. Cut into the nut with a cutting wheel, taking care not to touch the thread crests of the strut. A hammer and chisel in the lefty loosey direction, should git er done. Even if you cut into the threads a bit, you can clean up the thread with a 3 sided, (60 degree included angle) file.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

My front struts are installed.

While I was in the neighborhood I resprayed the calipers with VHT clear after sanding and they turned out great (there are many threads on this).

- pick of the flaking clear
- light sand the edges
- clean
- 2 light sprays

Very easy!

New rubber dust covers, bumpers, and perch gasket rubber is highley reccomended (the old one had cracks and were not pliable anymore).

Important items are to folow the proper torque settings and have the wheels straight which will make it easier to install.

On this one I still have to tighten the lock ring and do the brake clip.

I have started to install the rear shocks (the one good one I have).

When tightening the shock nuts in the engine compartment be very careful.

A well know Porsche shop told me about a customer who dropped one of the nuts for the rear shcoks into the back of the engine bay. it was never found and made it's way into a part of the engine that locked up the cam and caused significant damage to the valves .

As a caution I put some paper as a saftey back there just in case the nut got loose. It's a very tight space with little eye view or room to work. Also, I taped the nut to the extension before threading it on. It's very hard to thread 2/4 nuts on with your hand - no room. This is a nut you do not want to drop into the engine abyss back there.

----------

As I mentioned in my previous post - I screwed up 1 shock by cross threading the wrong side nut.

To make a long story short, I can't salvage the shock (the piston got damaged trying to cut the nut off).

Worse, you cannot but a single shock retail, they only come in a kit.

I called Koni, NA and they are going to provide me with a replacement shock at a nominal charge. I have to wait for it to some from Belgium - it should be here in 2 weeks.

Also, Koni has certain warranty rules regarding the where you purchase you kit from.

They have been a big help.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

crw - Great tip on taping the nut to the extension. Your thread on the install has been a big help to me since I'm doing the same and am about a week behind where you are. This weekend I'm reinstalling the re-bushed front control arms & front struts.

Question. What size did cut the notch for the front brake lines?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
Also, Koni has certain warranty rules regarding the where you purchase you kit from.

They have been a big help.
I was told by my mechanic that Bilstein will not warranty anything bought outside of the US. Is this the same with Koni? I was thinking I might buy these from Carnewal but don't want to buy them if they don't have a warranty.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

I would cut them as @ 8mm to fit the line in.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Yes; they were clearly deteriorated. My car is a '97, so its 16 years old w/ 22k miles. But the bushings were shot.
I wonder what got to them. Mine are on a '95 with double your mileage and still as good as new.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
kg4nih
Intermediate

Not sure what whacked them. The car was a SoCal (w/ 6 months in LV) car all of it's life. The bushings were dry & cracked (think old rubber band). My wrench says, in part, its simply age & the weight of the car that causes the bushings to deteriorate & deform over time.

But my real point is, if you're replacing the struts/shocks - spend the modest extra time to pull the control arms & check.

OT - Alex, like your motorcycles & alps touring site. My last bike was a '76 Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans. I owned it from 78 - 84; a lot riding time in Colorado, Utah, NM & (after re-assignment) mid-coast Cal. Sold it in '84 IOT buy a '64 356 SC coupe.

Last edited by kg4nih; 02-07-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Coyote
Advanced

Yes; they were clearly deteriorated. My car is a '97, so its 16 years old w/ 22k miles (and I put 2.6k of that on it bringing home from LV to VA this fall). I didn't "want" to believe the bushing could be bad since the car is cosmetically/mechanically perfect in so many ways. But the bushings were shot.

Thanks to the "nagging" from RL'ers about checking the bushings, I checked them. So my recommendation to others doing a suspension "upgrade" is to take the extra hour to pull both control arms and check the bushings.
Is there a way to check these bushings without removing the control arms? Any photos or detailed instructions would be nice. I have looked at mine as best I can but it isn't obvious with them in the car.

Quick Reply: Installation thread for KONI FSD suspension - UPDATE #1