Installation thread for KONI FSD suspension - UPDATE #1

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Has the suspension settled some over the past year?
Mine took about 2 weeks and a couple of hundred miles to settle. Since then it hasn't changed as far as I can tell. I have had mine on for about 9 months and about 1k miles.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the first hand FSD-993 feedback. I'm following suit as a winter project. Our 993 coupe was fitted with the M033 spring set many years and miles ago; 2001. Ringing Gert at www.carnewal.com as we speak. Thanks again.

PS. I have 2 new LED bulbs (sourced from Gert) for the front parking lights as fitted to the Euro factory bumper/fog light assemblies lens. The bulbs are free to good home. First PM is a winner. These work just fine and appear similar to the factory Litronic HID lights when lit, just not my cup of tea. Update: There GONE to a Rennlist'r

Originally Posted by MACH993
I've had this set-up on my car for about six months now. You won't regret the choice.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ PM sent.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

1pcarnut - Roger.
The bulbs have been claimed by another Rennlister. And you we're that close.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Just wanted to say this was a helpful thread as I just went thru my suspension for the first time. My stock Monroes were gone and I was getting a shimmy in the steering wheel due to worn control arm bushings. I did not go with the Koni FSD but went with the Koni Sports instead. My primary reason for this was that I wanted to retain my H&R lowering springs because I really like the stance. The Sports were recommended for lowering springs. Here is what I ended up doing on my car:
Koni Sports with H&R lowering springs
Walrod bushings in the front control arms (installed by Andreas)
Replaced one front drop link due to wear (stock Porsche)
Replaced both rear drop links due to wear (OEM)
Replaced both rear lower/toe control arms (stock Porsche)
Replaced the front strut bump stops as they were disintegrated (stock Porsche)
Replaced the plastic clips holding the brake sensors as they broke when removed (Porsche)

Have an appointment to have the car aligned at Johnson's in Torrance on Monday. Will report back once I have a chance to drive and experience the new set up.

New parts! Early Christmas gift to myself.

Control arms came back beautiful after Andreas installed the Walrods and bead blasted them!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Very interested in the update. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Today was alignment day. As promised, I am reporting back. Took the car to Johnson's to have Steve do the alignment. Before we get to my car, here are some photos of not 1 but 3 959's next door at Callas.

Okay, back to my car. This suspension refresh may be the best thing I have done to this car over this past year of ownership. Just to show how important it is to take these cars to someone who knows how to align them - Steve was dumbfounded with "whatever the prior idiot did" when they aligned my car. My car had H&R lowering springs on it but with stock Monroes. It looks like when the prior owner installed the lowering springs, the alignment was really messed up in the rear. It took Steve quite a bit of time to reset all of the bad adjustments that were done (something about adjustment up top that were pushed way out).
Anyway, here is the report on my set up. All I can say is wow. I cannot believe I am driving the same car. Thanks to the Walrods, the shimmy in the steering wheel is completely gone. Everything is now incredibly taut and responsive. This past year of driving on worn Monroes with a bad alignment and other worn suspension parts is now gone and I feel this car has been reborn! I am very impressed with the Koni sports. They are taut yet very compliant over bumps and in fact a bit softer than I expected. They are currently set on the softest setting, so I have plenty of range to tighten them up if I choose to. I chose the Konis because I wanted something close to stock sport and that would work well with lowering springs (I like the H&R stance). I also wanted something that looked fairly stock. The Konis look almost identical to the stock Monroes except they are yellow instead of green. I do not track this car so the better performance of Bilstein wasn't needed for me. The investment of time and money in this project was worth it.
Here is a shot of my car with Steve aligning it. I love the stance!

There was one casualty in this project. My teenage daughter decided to move one of my wheels and let it slam onto its face and destroy the new finish that was less than a few months old. I guess I need to get one refinished #&?!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:56 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that looks perfect!
cannot believe 3 freaking 959s
Old 12-22-2015, 04:38 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Bill did you have a chance to try a 993 with Bilsteins before buying the Konis?
What you describe about the Konis sounds very much what I'm looking for. I had been considering either the HDs or PSS10s but am concerned about a harsh ride.

Beautiful car BTW!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:56 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

That looks like a SERIOUS alignment shop. Are those jerry cans of (sand? Lead shot?) for weighting the driver's seat?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:48 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Bill did you have a chance to try a 993 with Bilsteins before buying the Konis?
What you describe about the Konis sounds very much what I'm looking for. I had been considering either the HDs or PSS10s but am concerned about a harsh ride.

Beautiful car BTW!
No, I didn't get to personally drive a 993 with the Bilsteins. Wish I could have. I had read a few concerns with potential "harshness" of the HD's and the PSS10's just didn't make sense for my usage. The kicker was that I found a very good deal for the Konis during Black Friday. I was considering the Koni FSD based on all the positive reviews but they weren't recommended for lowering springs as well as the Sports. So far I am very happy with the set up.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by bcameron59
That looks like a SERIOUS alignment shop. Are those jerry cans of (sand? Lead shot?) for weighting the driver's seat?
Yes, those were being used for the corner balancing. This shop is considered one of the best in SoCal. Steve is well known in the local Porsche racing circles.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:32 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

That is a great stance!

It would be interesting if you could post your ride height in mm from the factory measuring points - especially the back - since the Koni Sport rears are non adjustable (in height) and perhaps the H&R model number for rl-ers for future reference.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:39 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB 911
That is a great stance!

It would be interesting if you could post your ride height in mm from the factory measuring points - especially the back - since the Koni Sport rears are non adjustable (in height) and perhaps the H&R model number for rl-ers for future reference.
So I measured the ride height of my car. Wow, it is a lot lower than I thought it was. I love the look but am surprised how low it is now that I measure it out. I measured 108 front and 103 rear. Here is a pic of the springs. Now I do not know if they have settled since I am not sure how long they have been on the car (since 2000 if that is a date code on the spring). Again, I love this look but had no idea it was this low
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2015, 10:37 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
So I measured the ride height of my car. Wow, it is a lot lower than I thought it was. I love the look but am surprised how low it is now that I measure it out. I measured 108 front and 103 rear. Here is a pic of the springs. Now I do not know if they have settled since I am not sure how long they have been on the car (since 2000 if that is a date code on the spring). Again, I love this look but had no idea it was this low
Bill, you might want to double check the factory measuring points. RS in the front is 124. 108 would be RS- 16 Not saying it is not possible, but that would be low! In your pic, the stance looks great, but it doesn't look like RS-16 up front, to me. Here is a couple pics by Bill V to double check where you are measuring from.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ce-points.html

Quick Reply: Installation thread for KONI FSD suspension - UPDATE #1