Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Acceptable tolerances on paint meter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceptable tolerances on paint meter?

Considering a glacier white c4s and slowly moving forward with it.Had them paint meter the car and all panels (exception 1 rear panel) were between a 4.5 and 5.5.Dealer says thats normal tolerances but I'm not sure.rear was higher and has had a re-spray....ofcoarse nothing showing up on carfax/auto check.Just curious as to other's thoughts and opinion beofre I move forward with possible PPI.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

I just went out to the garage and took some measurements.

Hood, sunroof, roof, engine lid: 4.8 to 5.0 mils.
Fenders: 3.8 to 4.4 mils.
Doors: forgot to measure those.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

IIRC, those are within tolerances. A small difference could mean a clearcoat was re-done; not a big deal at all. My driver's side door read higher than the rest of the car, but it was patently obvious that no body work had ever been done since the doors were gutted for the roll cage bars, thereby revealing that no accident damage existed.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Personally, since these cars are all getting close to 20 years old, I'd imagine some paintwork, whether due to accident or just cosmetic re-spray is likely on many cars.

Original paint would likely be very pitted on the front and need a spray, so whatever premium one places on original paint would be mitigated by the fact it probably looks tired and needs a re-spray anyway.

I wouldn't let a paint meter make the choice for me, unless it was evidence of a major crash, in which case I'd hope the title was salvaged so I'd know to run away. But I don't think a paint meter can tell you anything other than whether it was painted, which, if it is, wouldn't be enough for me to walk from a really nice, well-maintained car with a comprehensive PPI first that came back clean.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
cmd4
Pro

AS always thanks for all the quick responses.Car is on the west coast.....and i on the east.Been on the hunt for what seems like forever for a driver c4s and will probably be moving forward with a ppi soon if the seller isn't to firm on price.Car is consighned at a dealer......so it's already a game to say the least with them
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Is this the white c4s with 81k miles?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have metered more than a few cars, variances of 1 - 1.5 mils is very common, when the numbers approach double what the surrounding panels are then investigate further. I've seen a few spots that couldn't be metered which usually indicates filler.

As with other PPI info take the readings as a data point and something to be considered with the rest of your data points when making a final decision.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thickness of the paint is not a big issue in my opinion. The presence of repaint noted by visual observation should always be looked into.
Repaint on bumper covers is normal as they get damaged easily. New paint on front ¼ panels is a sign of minor or possibly major body work.
Paint on rear 1/4 panels or on a dog leg should be looked into carefully as body work in these areas can be a serious integrity issue.
My experience is that if a Porsche has taken a major hit causing major unibody damage the tight ringing like sound the body/tires transmit into the car as it goes over uneven pavement will be lost after the repair is complete.
For example years ago I rolled into the rear of another car at very low speed- creeping at a light. The front of my car slid slightly under the rear bumper cover of the car in front of me with no hard impact. It slightly deformed the bumper cover and just caught the front edge of the hood and one of the 1/4 panels in front of the headlight bucket. I replace all three items, having them painted before installing them on the car resulting in a high quality repair that included all new parts. An expert would know there was paint work. The integrity of the car in this case was maintained.
In another case on an earlier car (924s) I owned was hit in the passenger side dog-leg. The shop welded in a large section of the outer body. After the repair the car did not sound right and road feel was diminished. A few thousand miles later the repair failed along one of the weld lines. The car was never the same even though it looked nice when originally repaired.
Andy
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

They have a white C4S at TruSpeed motorsports that I looked at. a couple of weeks ago. I think that is may be the one that CMD4 is looking at.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Variances seem normal. I have metered a few cars as well. Big jumps like 5.5 to 8 require a closer look. Sounds like to you are proceeding properly with the whole long distance purchase thing. Call me paranoid but I prefer a quick video of the meter readings as opposed some still shots. 60 seconds of a video with a phone is easy.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Thickness of the paint is not a big issue in my opinion.
I would disagree with this. Any reading over 7 mil or so is highly suspect for a Porsche. 10 mil or so is either very thick paint, and not from the Porsche factory, or indicates filler underneath. While a visual inspection is very important, unless you do it all the time it can be hard to pick things up depending on the lighting, angle, etc. In a couple of minutes with a paint meter you can tell if if there has been paint work or not.

I would not really trust a car dealer with a paint meter. Unless you know it was calibrated, know the brand, and how to use it, I would have a third party do it. Ask me why.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

With the same meter go and measure a brand new car. The panels will measure differences all over them. The real key is to take several measurements over each panel and write them down over a pic of the car.

What you are looking for is consistency around the car. Variations are always going to be there (this is MICRONS! being measured) what you are looking for are BIG variations of 3 or more microns in a certain area that 's usually repaint.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM
cmd4
Pro

Yeah it's the one with 81k for 42k. Definitely not worth that, but thinking thirty something and I'm interested.didnt see the white one at true speed
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

cmd4 here is their link http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/cars.php
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Typical Porsche paint will run anywhere from 4.5-7, (in fact only seeing a range of 4.5-5.5 is highly unusual, and I would bet if they put the paint meter in more spots on the car they would see a little wider range). I typically hit about 10 points on each panel for comparison. Occasionally you might find an 8. Door jambs are usually thinner anywhere around 3-4. Once you start seeing 9's and 10's, the car has had paint work. I have seen repaints regularly register in the high 20's, and mid teens are very common on cars that have had paint work. Ideally you want to compare side to side for similar readings. If you see 3's on main panels, it is possible a panel was replaced and the paint laid very thin.

http://rennsportkc.com/ppis-the-paint-meter-never-lies/

Quick Reply: Acceptable tolerances on paint meter?