993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb spoiler question (probably)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012 | 06:50 PM
JLUinAZ
Advanced

Default Dumb spoiler question (probably)

Is there any way to alter the speed at which the spoiler raises? I'm guessing not.

I'd like to maintain this function, its just that on many of my local streets, the speedo is 45, meaning 45-50. I often hear my spoiler retracting at lights. I swear the thing is going up under 50 mph.

Having it go up/down between lights seems like overkill. It would be great to just have it deploy at freeway speeds.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012 | 06:54 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

search "Ruf spoiler module"
Old 11-29-2012 | 07:33 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Originally Posted by max911
search "Ruf spoiler module"
It's also really easy to rewire it to totally manual operation for the price of some electrical tape. I did this mod and I love it. Someone in the 964 forum figured it out. It's posted somewhere in this forum, though ...

BTW, nice '95. Looks exactly like mine!
Old 11-29-2012 | 08:10 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

Found it for you. Read this ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...iler-rise.html
Old 11-30-2012 | 06:41 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
....and then do it! You'll never regret....but if you do it's easily reversed.
Old 11-30-2012 | 08:09 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

When u get above 20mph, just click it up once. And it'll stay there for the entire drive.
Old 11-30-2012 | 08:49 AM
dbrians
Instructor

I did the spoiler mod so I can have control. The car is prettier w/o the raised spoiler so I leave it down on my 20-mile highway run to work. Not sure when I'll raise it again...probably will be limited to the occasional high-speed run on the twisty back roads.
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:24 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

I, too, dislike the look of the deployed spoiler...Looks (To me) like someone left a lunchroom tray on the deck lid.

I did a little research here and elsewhere and found that this type spoiler has negligible aero effect below 85 MPH. At 85 MPH, the front splitter begins to push the nose of the car down, creating lift on the tail...That's when the spoiler's aero begins to balance the car by pushing the tail of the car down.

It seems that its primary purpose is cooling. There were also some suggestions that with the engine undertray off, the difference in the cooling function of the undeployed vs deployed spoiler was neglible.

So, I unplugged my spoiler module and did some back-to-back hot weather testing at low and high speeds. I drove at low and high speeds and saw absolutely no difference in oil temp as indicated by the oil temp gauge in my car when spoiler up was compared to spoiler down (My engine tray is off).

As for aero effect, I do a lot of driving in the 50-75 MPH range, but there's little opportunity for sustained speeds above 80 MPH where I live.

All of that to say I unplugged my spoiler control module over two years ago and haven't missed it since.

But that's just me.....

Terry
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:31 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
I, too, dislike the look of the deployed spoiler...Looks (To me) like someone left a lunchroom tray on the deck lid.

I did a little research here and elsewhere and found that this type spoiler has negligible aero effect below 85 MPH. At 85 MPH, the front splitter begins to push the nose of the car down, creating lift on the tail...That's when the spoiler's aero begins to balance the car by pushing the tail of the car down.

It seems that its primary purpose is cooling. There were also some suggestions that with the engine undertray off, the difference in the cooling function of the undeployed vs deployed spoiler was neglible.

So, I unplugged my spoiler module and did some back-to-back hot weather testing at low and high speeds. I drove at low and high speeds and saw absolutely no difference in oil temp as indicated by the oil temp gauge in my car when spoiler up was compared to spoiler down (My engine tray is off).

As for aero effect, I do a lot of driving in the 50-75 MPH range, but there's little opportunity for sustained speeds above 80 MPH where I live.

All of that to say I unplugged my spoiler control module over two years ago and haven't missed it since.

But that's just me.....

Terry
Interesting comments regarding the rear spoiler and your "tests". Odd that Porsche would go through the engineering exercise and expense for this spoiler feature for little more than cosmetic reasons.

Unless you place thermocouples under the sparkplugs and measure the CHT's under identical driving conditions, with and without the spoiler deployed, your oil temp test is meaningless.
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:49 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
When u get above 20mph, just click it up once. And it'll stay there for the entire drive.
Yes, its amazing the things one comes across when reading an Owner's Manual; a spare Owner's Manual in the house tends to get read more.

Although I always forget to give the following a try because I manually extend it upon start-up, page 28 states, "At a speed between 8 and 50 mph (15 and 80 km/h) a brief pressing of the rocker switch is enough to activate the rear spoiler function".

I take it that means it continues to fully extend and remains extended.
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:53 AM
JLUinAZ
Advanced

Thanks for the comments and links guys. That thread has just about all the info I could have asked for.

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:54 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Unless you place thermocouples under the spark plugs and measure the CHT's under identical driving conditions, with and without the spoiler deployed, your oil temp test is meaningless.
What....you mean actual measurements? That is so un-Rennlist or so un-internet. Whatever happened to conjecture?

As they say, the internet is the greatest source.......of unconfirmed information.
Old 11-30-2012 | 11:06 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What....you mean actual measurements? That is so un-Rennlist or so un-internet. Whatever happened to conjecture?

As they say, the internet is the greatest source.......of unconfirmed information.
Alex, you crack me up. Yeah, but you know CHT's are a pilot's best measurement tool and the most reliable diagnostic for any aircooled engine. My A36 had a quite sophisticated CHT and EGT monitor.
Old 11-30-2012 | 11:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
My A36 had a quite sophisticated CHT and EGT monitor.
When I was building time towards my Commercial and Instructor's licences, we had a C-152 at the club that nobody wanted to fly because 100LL wasn't available and as a result the plugs would foul (so they said). The C-150 had the Continental O-200 and the newer C-152, the Lycoming O-235. I had no issues with the C-152. I leaned it everywhere and put lots of time on it at the discounted rate of $19 per hour at the wet rate. It had a cruise prop and was fast. Those were the days!

I guess you had one of those flat-panel electronic CHT/EGT gauges. The C-172RG I rented had traditional analog gauges.
Old 11-30-2012 | 11:27 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Converted mine to manual and happy I did the mod. Lines are maintained at all speeds and at the odd time when I need additional cooling I can raise it at will. Win win.

Quick Reply: Dumb spoiler question (probably)