Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced sunroof felt twice, I give up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 AM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pirahna
Totally agree!

yeah, but you have problems operating a can opener.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 AM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

OK, the 3M glue (the yellow stuff) is a grade A pain to work with, but I found that with good masking (use blue tape) a copious supply of disposable brushes (a la Harbor Freight) and a moderate amount of patience (do it s-l-o-w-l-y, 4-6 inches at a time) I ended up with a seal that worked great and had a few glue smears along the felt that don't seem so bad as long as I don't have to do it again for some time...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 AM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Do any of with replaced seals get any wind noise?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No wind noise for me, just have to remember to 'look away' as I enter the car. If I can't see it it doesn't bug me as much, LOL...

Jim
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
Yeah I did, but mine was ridiculously screwed up.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 349 Posts

I hate the concept of a sunroof anyway...Throw in the remarkably short-sighted idea to use a felt seal that seems designed to rot and you just have to wonder. Ranks right up there with drive block and those silly wheel locks as things that could have been left off the car.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 2qwik4u
No wind noise. Only downside for me was glue smears on felt; if I had to do it again I would "paint" the glue on a little below the edge rather than right up to it.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Yasek
No wind noise. Only downside for me was glue smears on felt; if I had to do it again I would "paint" the glue on a little below the edge rather than right up to it.
Originally Posted by Rob Yasek
OK, the 3M glue (the yellow stuff) is a grade A pain to work with, but I found that with good masking (use blue tape) a copious supply of disposable brushes (a la Harbor Freight) and a moderate amount of patience (do it s-l-o-w-l-y, 4-6 inches at a time) I ended up with a seal that worked great and had a few glue smears along the felt that don't seem so bad as long as I don't have to do it again for some time...
What I finally did was to pre fit the molding, tape it in place and close the sunroof. Then do any final adjustments.

Open the sunroof, peal back one side a bit, and then put the glue on the car, then place the trim back in place and tape, then do that for the whole thing. When you are done, you will need to push down the corners again, as they LOVE to come up as the glue dries. Then when it's in the proper place I close the roof and again, push down the corners.

If you use a little bit of glue, only put the glue on the car side, and work a small section it can be done. But it takes time and be ready to redo it as you go. SMALL ADJUSTMENTS! No glue will be on the car or the trim.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
tian647
Instructor

I am completely with OP on the frustration often experienced tackling a new DIY task the first time. Still, my preference suits doing it (over if necessary) and blaming myself than putting up with hounding someone else for shoddy work that seems hard to avoid these days even at specialty shops.

I did this job on my old 3.2 Carrera and had to attempt it twice - the second time I used a metric boatload of painters tape to hold the seal in place while the adhesive set up and worked very slowly, attaching just a few inches at a time and making sure I got the placement right.

It turned out pretty well the second time, but I'm not looking forward to having do the job on my 993.

Christian
'95 Carrera
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i give up... im just going to have quadcammer do mine...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 PM
jakfrost
Racer

I think it takes at least 2 attempts to get a reasonable result...on the second try you now know where the bloody felt SHOULD be.

Getting it to stay there without making a mess is another deal altogether...

I'm getting stronger every day. Another month of therapy and some help from Dr. Phil and I'll be ready to jump in the ring again!!

Quick Reply: replaced sunroof felt twice, I give up...