Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need 3D Printer ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:41 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I just saw that the UPS Store is going to have 3D printers available. The compay who will provide the printers to UPS has machines that will make parts with many different materials in one pass.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BobbyT, I saw your thread right around when I first joined RL and its the reason I thought about making the buttons in the first place. Without a professional-level printer, the items being suggested in this thread would not be feasible. They are great ideas, but cant be done IMO on a hobby and entry level printer (some hobby level printers are amazing but still are limited by material and resolution possibilities that do not scale well with fused filament fabrication). The button is simple and doesnt need to be very strong. My printer only has one print head so I couldnt print a two tone button, like a black surround and a white snowflake.

My goal would be to model the button in a way that it can be 3D printed, print one myself as a proof of concept, then throw the drawings up on the web and hopefully someone can find the appropriate person to print a 2 tone higher quality button than I would be able to. I'll work on this project this weekend when I have time and see how I can go about making a decent model without ruining my CCU.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

phoneyman,

That sounds great. Once you do the heavy lifting, I'm sure we can find a service bureau to do the final buttons.

Here is the link to some details on how to disassemble the CCU from our friend Tore in Norway:

http://www.bergvillfx.com/ccurepair.html
Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

phoneyman,

Here is another link with some information on removing the CCU:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...placement.html

You really don't need any special tools to remove the CCU. All the special tools do when you insert them into the holes is release the locks. I use nails that are about two inches long, diameter a little smaller than the holes, one nail in each of the four holes then push in until the locks are released. Then reach up under the dash (skinny hands help) and push the CCU out far enough that you can grip it to pull from the front. You can actually remove the front without removing the CCU all the way or disconnecting it. Just pull off the *****, remove the 10mm nuts from the two **** shafts, release the tabs retaining the front plate, and pull it off.

The special tools for CCU/radio removal have a loop connecting them, and make it appear they could be used to pull out the units, but not so.

Before you start this process, flip the wipers away from the windshield, and push the wiper switch all the way up. This gives you a little more working room, and the flipped wipers remind you to turn them off when you are done.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

The advice is great. I tend to be a little gun ho in some of my projects and since my 993 is in such seemingly good shape I prefer not to break anything from being ignorant. If I can get the button out/ find some specs online, the modeling shouldnt be too bad. Even a hobbyist 3D printer with 2 print heads could do the print pretty easy; not OEM quality but could give a good sense of the capability. If that isnt possible, solidconcepts.com is an awesome vendor I use for work, and with a group buy we could get a good price as they scale with quantity.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

i'm in for a couple of sets if they ever get produced!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 PM
L741_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about something like this....

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/guy-buil...193043575.html

I would love a 1/2 scale 993 or 917.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Can the CCU snow flake button be reproduced successfully on a 3D printer?
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2013, 11:51 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Most definitely, it just depends on the desired quality and how much someone is willing to pay. My hobbist 3D printer couldnt make a production-level button like the OEM. But they do have professional machines that are extremely good at what they do and could make a high quality knock off.

The right way to do this would be to 3D print a 2 piece mold and make these the old fashioned way.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Sooner or later there will be a demand for them as they are NLA from Porsche, that is to say the entire 2 part a/c switch is NLA.

I notice mine is starting to deteriorate with age and occasionally springs off.

Without the button the switch will not work and there will be no a/c.

The OE switch is made by Hella and some one was going to contact them to see if they have any switches available.

So far I haven't seen anything more about it.

As far as cost is concerned - the button is an essential part of the CCU which costs from Porsche $1650 to $1900 depending on dealer; the button probably cost who ever makes the CCU for Porsche a few cents, but to some one needing a/c in summer the cost they are willing to pay for just the button to get a/c again might depend upon their pain threshold and if the wife and kids are already crying.

IMO $29.99 would be a good starting point.

For guidance, I believe the single part 944/964 a/c switch is available at about $72.00 - it might or might not work on a 993, it's the same physical size as the 993 two part switch.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PLEASE sell me a set of bumperette hole covers. seriously. What an eye sore!!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:51 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I emailed Hella/Behr inquiring about availability of the snowflake switch about a week ago. No response yet.

I agree that $29.99 is a good price point for these buttons. Many owners will likely want to buy and just keep the buttons on hand for when the originals fail.

The single button snowflake switch might turn the compressor on/off, but it has no way to command Max AC. It might be a choice if we run out of other options.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

A gun? Heard rumors, but could you?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

BobbyT, using a 964 AC switch might not be that dramatic The A/C max switch is a shortcut button for A/C compressor enable, max front fan speed, minimum temperature, mixer servos closed, fresh air servo closed, recirculation flap open, and no air to foot well and defrost nozzles (maximum cool air to the manually controlled air nozzles)
It is fully possible to obtain this manually.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 AM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

I'd love to have the bumperette hole covers, if anyone has the design down pat I'll be in the market for a set in black or any other color. Please let me know.

Last edited by 96PCarrera993mg; 03-01-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Need 3D Printer ideas