Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need 3D Printer ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 AM
dragon02
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, from a 993 owner located in Tasmania (all the way at the bottom of Australia), I just wanted to say thank-you for your wonderful work in making the AC buttons an economical alternative for us owners hankering for an operational ac! I am now off to order several said-buttons. Cheers mate.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great !
Just my contribution to Porsche owners all over the world . Now I can check Tasmania off my list !

Originally Posted by dragon02
John, from a 993 owner located in Tasmania (all the way at the bottom of Australia), I just wanted to say thank-you for your wonderful work in making the AC buttons an economical alternative for us owners hankering for an operational ac! I am now off to order several said-buttons. Cheers mate.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:43 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

dragon02, A 993 on Tasmania that's too cool. Are there others? Welcome, and how about a pic of your ride.

I follow the blog of a couple who are circumnavigating and they just left Tasmania. Beautiful Island, would love to go. Here's their blog if you want to check it out. If you mouse over the map that loads and scroll out, you can see their route and click on pic icons accordingly. Here's one of their pics.

http://mvdirona.com/
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 PM
dragon02
5th Gear

Tasmania is a great part of the world to call home. If any Rennlisters ever make their way down here, do drop me a line as I would be glad to play tour guide. Here's some pixs of my baby.
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the work on the buttons. I got a few from Shapeways to have on hand. Any chance you will tackle the bumperette delete project?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

old posting removed my responce
Old 03-07-2015, 01:18 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Yes , I have a 964 so not having a 993 to test with makes it tougher for me.
I have funded a kickstarter campaign for a 3D scanner that should be available in July. I am hoping this would make it easier to replicate the bumperette delete .. otherwise if someone would like to loan me their car (maybe a nice turbo ) I could mock something up.

Originally Posted by Sandia man
Thanks for all the work on the buttons. I got a few from Shapeways to have on hand. Any chance you will tackle the bumperette delete project?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

I haven't been paying much attention to the CCU buttons but I noticed that 30 have Been purchased so far... glad I could help out that many rennlisters!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon02
Tasmania is a great part of the world to call home. If any Rennlisters ever make their way down here, do drop me a line as I would be glad to play tour guide. Here's some pixs of my baby.
Nice!

What about a redesigned central air vent? It may be a RHD thing, but I find that the centre air vent doesn't come close to blowing on the driver.

The left/right direction flaps are too far back in mechanism to direct properly.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

maybe just needs a clip on shield that diverts air to the driver

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
Nice!

What about a redesigned central air vent? It may be a RHD thing, but I find that the centre air vent doesn't come close to blowing on the driver.

The left/right direction flaps are too far back in mechanism to direct properly.
The following users liked this post:
YellowDieselGolf (06-22-2020)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:27 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're still looking for ideas, what about the molding around the rear window glass? I've never seen one (mine crumbled long ago) but I assume it has a channel for the glass and an attached channel for the outside weather strip. This part is not available from Porsche unless you buy the whole window. This is an increasing problem as our cars get older. A replacement molding could be sold in long strips and a set of 4 corners. Then pieces cut to length and cyanoacrylate glued to the glass.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:15 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Thank you to J. Rygg and everyone else who has helped ALL of us out. I thought I was the only one with a fading snowflake; I should have known better. I wanted to ask anyone who has replaced their button(s) - how is it going ? I think I'd want the "cutout" version so the light can shine through . Also, I don't see a metal version available though it was discussed here? How does one go about replacing the snowflake button ? Looks like the "entire" switch needs to be removed, individual button(s) replaced and then plugged back in? Any help would be appreciated as I've no experience in such things. Thank you again. Just amazing.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

The Metal buttons walls were too thick to use and it did not fit properly , to get the old button out you can pry it out with a edge of a knife and it will pop out.
the buttons are not really made because of the fading icon.
(but you can replace it if you want)
on the 993s the little legs that hold the button tend to fail and the button needs to be replaced.

I would say if your button still is in working order to just leave it since it looks closer to factory then my 3D printed ones . you might be able to get a sticker made up with the snowflake icon to fixe the fade.

I am happy to sell you one but I do not make any money off of them so I am just as happy to advise you to keep what you have

Originally Posted by AKB991
Thank you to J. Rygg and everyone else who has helped ALL of us out. I thought I was the only one with a fading snowflake; I should have known better. I wanted to ask anyone who has replaced their button(s) - how is it going ? I think I'd want the "cutout" version so the light can shine through . Also, I don't see a metal version available though it was discussed here? How does one go about replacing the snowflake button ? Looks like the "entire" switch needs to be removed, individual button(s) replaced and then plugged back in? Any help would be appreciated as I've no experience in such things. Thank you again. Just amazing.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:40 PM
subdriver
Rennlist Member

Thank you John for mocking up the buttons and connecting us to Shapeways. Just received my cut snowflake to replace my broken original. Works and looks great!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:19 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subdriver
Thank you John for mocking up the buttons and connecting us to Shapeways. Just received my cut snowflake to replace my broken original. Works and looks great!
that is awesome I'm glad to be able to contribute back to the rennlist community I've gotten so much help over the years

Quick Reply: Need 3D Printer ideas