Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

late 80's 930 versus 993?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to drive the 930 today. Freezing temp. 1 day before storage.
Just flooring it in first and second gears the tires go loose on boost. Man it's going to be a long winter...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Post of the year!

Here's another question: Can you buy a 993 or 930 of equal quality for the same money? As someone in the market and having looked at both, it seems like the sweet spot for a 930 is just a tad higher than that of the 993.
Chris-

Yes, with a +/- factor for either model in either direction, yes. If you had to average it out you could argue $30-32k buys really sound and smart examples of each, with outliers for both above and below that range.

While I do know a few nutzos that daily a 930, that again is for the particular nutzo out there (who himself is out there!).

Choose which car based upon need / goal / expectation accordingly.

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
how eloquent...we gotta hang out Paul!

Love it...
Joe... heh... fersure... I foresee this 8-) And don't encourage me lol...

Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys! I appreciate the up to date input.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
agreed w/ some sentiment here much more than other 8-)

depends on what you're looking to do w/ the car, your expectations, tolerances, bankroll, etc.

4yrs / 20k in my 930 was bed-post fodder... had to be done, bucketlist

my 993 is a better 'car', and better to 'drive' (car / drive being used and defined in the 'appliance' sense)

my 930 was innnnfinnnnnitely more exhilharating... intimately involving... soul altering

I enjoy commuting in my 993, notsomuch in my 930 (I did regardless, was cushy compared to the TR3 commutes).

I miss shooting flames, the Hammer of Thor donkeypunch boost, the whistle whine whir of the ingestive process, the decelerative anarchy of my 930.

The 993 is a well educated professional business women, svelt, mature... well poised and seductive. You could griningly tap that all day for years on end and be no luckier.

The 930 is the redheaded tequilla slamming firecracker sexpistol where you wake up the next morning, your wallet's gone and you can't figure out what's been jammed 'where'...all the while you're paradoxically left wanting more.

My wife surprisingly didn't complain much about the 930, other than I smelled like 'car' when I walked into house, and that I hurt her neck or jammed her hair clip into her noggin when I hit the boost bong too hard.

The 930 HVAC is actually thermostatically controlled in the later cars, but it is still teh suxor - I yanked my A/C stem to stern and the heat was an all/nothing affair due to parsnickety system issues. Didn't matter, after one sells their soul to that Boostdevil one stops noticing things. For better / worse 8-). My 993 air will chill a witch's tit.

I think what's her face prefers time in the 993 overall but isn't very vocal either way. Tellingly... she's actually driven the 993 1x thus far (in a parking lot)... never (evereverevereverever) was the 930 even an option in that regard - incomprehensible, not happening, uh uh forget it.

Tell us your expectations / goals and we can tell you more. Agreed a 3.2 Carrera to 993 comparo is more accurate - a 930 is an entirely different league car in many regards...

ps. "930s are cheap / disposable" ROFLMAO... ummmmmm... no 8-). And the 4gang was somewhat endearing in a twisted sense - something about only 4 lonnnnnnnnng (infinite) gears and their match to the boost curve was just giggle inducing - 135 in 3rd??? Bulletproof, tho crippled w/ recalcitrant shifter....
Oh paul.....posts like these make me so happy that we hang out in the same forum again. As usual, thanks for the smile!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

you can run but you can't hide

That's where I saw the Leprachaun - he told me to burn things

-Ralph
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I would love at 930 but wouldn't swap my C2S for it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
rwkrabbit
Rennlist Member

I have both a 1989 930 (17,805 miles) and 993 C4S (62,987 miles). I would keep the 993 if I had to choose between the two vehicles. The 993 is far more civilized and easy to drive with both the A/C and heating system far more advanced than the 930, and the AWD is great.
My real choice is to keep both.

Quick Reply: late 80's 930 versus 993?