Original Colour of the 993 Engine fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm
You know...just when I think I'm a true-blue, down-to-my-bones Porsche fan--I see a post like this and realize I just don't have the juice. I'm second-tier. Poser. "Dipped it in some stuff" "had the hub replated" "re-riveted...like the factory." Who does this?! And, while we're on the subject...who cares what a fan--under the lid!--looks like? Maybe I'm just a surface P-Car fan...only pre-occupied with the quality of what you can see--from the outside. I'm not knocking those of you who repaint rotors, and de-gunk wheel-wells, etc...I'm just feeling a bit...unworthy.

Happy Motoring!
It does seem a bit overboard but in a full restoration you tend to get obsessed with the details. Its fun actually. Plus, when spending that much money on a motor (about the same as a nice 80k mile 993 complete car) you want to make it perfect. That said, the next time I take the motor out of the 993, I am going to clean it up, re-powder coat the mounts etc and try to make it a bit nicer. All part of the fun
Old 11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alex,
The original colour is silver, most car were cleaned, detailed before they were delivered to the customer.
The silver paint was resistant to petrol, kerosene, but not resistant to Alkaline products, so the alkaline cleaners stripped the silver paint of the engine fan.

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi LvnTheDrm,
You are probably correct in your comment but when you come second in the state Porsche Concourse by 69 points every little bit makes a difference.
So having the fan and housing the right colour from the factory can give you those extra points.

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi Alex,
The original colour is silver, most car were cleaned, detailed before they were delivered to the customer.
The silver paint was resistant to petrol, kerosene, but not resistant to Alkaline products, so the alkaline cleaners stripped the silver paint of the engine fan.

Thanks,
Neil,
I'm struggling with the explanation here, especially since my fan is a very uniform color, front and back and along the central barrel, some of these being places where cleaning/detailing would not have touched. Possible that heat+oil/gas fumes+time was involved in the color change?

kjr
ps. OMG....I'm digging into minutiae of a fan's original color.... I blame you RL993 guys for this damn disease!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Keith,
I have been sucked into the obis of the 993 too, trying to get the car perfect.

My fan is a light brown colour, photo attached, but a Concourse judge on the week end, who worked for Porsche Australia when the 993 was new, said the 993 had a silver fan, but lost the silver paint or reduced the thickness when the engine was cleaned with alkaline/costic cleaners, hence the colour of just about all 993 engine fans today.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Neil Perry; 11-12-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM
ollster
8th Gear

I thought it was zermatt silver from the factory (essentially gold)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm thinking the "tan" is a oil vapor, tire dust, brake dust, and road grit combining at high rotational speeds to discolor and abrade the surface of the fan.

Quick Reply: Original Colour of the 993 Engine fan