Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 964 on the cover

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister

that photo shoot made my fingers feel numb and my skin dry!
It's been a hard winter.
I'm ready for Spring!
The snow's gone & now it's time for a sun-loving Speedster on the cover.

A digital sneak-peak: May 2014, #686. Zachary Mayne's "Tip to Six" article begins on page 90. (PCA log-in required. Not publicly available via the "Issues" index at this moment, but paper version might be in your mailbox.)

As wonderful as his car is, the owner's even more amazing as a person & fellow Speedster enthusiast!
I'll never forget when he parked his a Speedster next to mine at Laguna Seca's '09 Monterey Historics.

993 content for this forum -- pics Zach took before the test drive:

Old 05-16-2014, 03:18 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My pics of Zach's test drive:

Old 05-16-2014, 03:19 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ZMayne's resulting story after the test drive, with photography by Camden Thrasher:

^^ Photography by Camden Thrasher; copyright Porsche Club of America. If PCA leadership prefers Pano pics not be posted, just contact me & I'll promptly remove.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boths car are just beautiful!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:54 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Rey Panorama photographers capture beautiful Porsches, but they sure didn't need any help with the Metallic Silver rarity on the new cover!

I LUVed the article's photography -- so well done.

...& as if all the exquisite detail & care behind that 911 & its modifications wasn't enough, the owner's as thorough a Speedster devotee as can be imagined:
one of the 1st things he told me years ago was that he had owned five 964 Speedsters. Woah.

I've noticed your enthusiasm for air-cooleds on the 964 Forum, & I see you know a thing or two about eye-catching 911s!
Congrats on your 'new' ride

You've put a whole lotta' love into yours, though you've only had it for a relatively short while.
What a great quote:
Originally Posted by Rey Gunn

Best part of ownership is putting your own personal touch on the car.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That'll be a good read.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:56 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Alan-- I bet you'll LUV the latest issue
I'm still waiting for the May issue, hopefully it will be waiting in the mailbox when I get home from work today!
Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rinty

That'll be a good read.
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister

I'm waiting for the May issue, hopefully it will be waiting in the mailbox when I get home from work today!
For anyone still waiting: click the link in post # 91 (above) to read the entire issue online now.

Also, you can meet the feature car & its owner at next month's PCA Parade
Old 05-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts
Default It all comes around...

Back in the day, Excellence Magazine was called Porsche (Magazine). Well of course Porsche sued them, and they dropped Porsche as their moniker and went to Excellence...ironically Porsche Magazine was in the old Panorama format. Soon thereafter, Excellence went to its present large format....meanwhile, Berry Jo as editor, and Dr. Leonard Turner (Photographer) kept plugging away at Panorama.

Personally I miss the technical article that we used to see in Panorama, the ones that were compiled in the various UpFixing series. At one time I collected all the volumes...then Panorama had a sale and unloaded them all.

The Excellence articles by Tony Callas and Tom Prine.....so incredibly well written and spot on. Those in the LA South Bay area can visit Tony's shop at Callas Rennspot, a premier service provider...Tony is over the top knowledgable on the 993 car.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
For anyone still waiting: click the link in post # 91 (above) to read the entire issue online now.

Also, you can meet the feature car & its owner at next month's PCA Parade
http://pca.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vpca14/i5/p92

Last edited by FlatSix911; 05-19-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Notwithstanding RLer richardew's big **** dominating the front -- doesn't this forum have big news to celebrate?
IIRC, after ~26 issues the 'new' Pano has its first curvaceous 993 cover model
The body of Jim Edwards' GT2 adorns the current issue's cover, plus a feature on it & his 'twin' 993 RS.

Jim's a through-&-through Porsche guy with at least 3 cars featured in the last 2 years of Pano. RLer zmayne's article on Jim's 924 had a brief blurb about his 993 RS. Mutual friends quickly confirmed that & told me first-hand stories of how Jim enjoyed sharing his rarities.

I was grateful when a RLer nominated my jalopy for the PCA Parade's historical display, but even more-so when Jim's gems drove in

At the Monterey's Werks Reunion, a RLer who helps manage Jim's stable called me over for an introduction. Jim had much to share, but his biggest emphasis: to buy a 993 RS pronto.
...in-line with author Prescott Kelly's advice.

Well done to everyone at PCA & especially the 'new' Pano for the beautiful eye candy, seeing a 993's curves dominating the cover for the 1st time.

Been away a lot lately, & was just as excited as Jakob to devour the current mag:
Originally Posted by Boman993

yessssss! my february issue of panorama finally came in march!!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking of course: "Jäger shots"

More pics on the "PCA PARADE 2014 - GT2, RS, etc." thread:

More Werks Reunion pics on the "Because Monterey" thread:

Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RLer friend's RSA:

© 2014 Porsche Parade Photos
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Exclamation Pano without Pete?

doesn't this forum have big news to celebrate?
^^ My 1st inclination is to say, "No," from the following headline posted on PCA.org today.

Seriously had to look at my watch to see if it was April Fool's day, as this headline 1st sounded like a prank.

However, I can only guess that Pete's amazing work has been recognized & he's moving to bigger & better things for both him & his family.

Many say they just hope to depart a place better than it was when they arrived. IMHO, Mr. Stout's accomplishments leave no doubt

Congratulations, RLer Stout: you've worked miracles for Pano; can only imagine your future successes.

"Pete Stout moving on from PCA’s Porsche Panorama"

Originally Posted by PCA.org

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Pete Stout has resigned as Editor-in-Chief of PCA’s Porsche Panorama. Though he will be missed, we wish him well as he pursues another opportunity.

The Porsche Club of America leadership hired Pete in late 2012. During his tenure and with his vision, he successfully prepared and executed a major publication makeover in 2013. Early on, PCA identified him as the person to assist in preparing Panorama’s long term sustainability plan including assembling a highly professional editorial team.

“Pete has been responsible for exciting Panorama innovations,” stated Dr. Caren Cooper, PCA National President. “We thank him for his guidance and for leaving us with a strong product and a talented team in place.”

Pete’s last day was June 3. “I’m thankful for the opportunity to work for PCA these past three years,” he said. “Along the way, I’ve grown to deeply appreciate our members, their individual stories, and their collective spirit.”

Pete has been working with Vu Nguyen, PCA Executive Director and our Panorama publisher, on a thorough plan for transition.

“PCA is dedicated to continuing the forward-thinking and creative concepts that have been placed in the Panorama production process,” Vu said. “We owe it to the members to continue the evolution of our most cherished member benefit.” During the upcoming transition, Executive Editor Amy Skogstrom will step up to serve as interim Editor-in-Chief until a new Editor-in-Chief is announced. Amy joined PCA over a year ago and brings 20-plus years of automotive publication experience. All of the remaining Panorama team members will continue in their roles.

“The magazine is on solid ground,” Pete remarked. “Our contributors can go toe-to-toe with the best in the business, and Panorama’s current editorial team is both talented and extremely capable — I have every confidence in their abilities.”

Please join us in wishing Pete the very best in his next adventure.

Image by Richard Baron
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well that's a downer. For us. Looking forward to see what's next for him.

Quick Reply: From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)