Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the new Pano...I am enthused by the intial changes I am seeing. Already, some interesting articles about cars and people. Pano never was of interest for me as I am not "into" the PCA club happenings as much as I am the cars, the stories and real stories about the people who own them.
For what it has been, Pano was extremely well done...but it seems like it is going to evolve into a more interesting magazine (larger too!!!), at least to me.
Good luck Pete...glad to see you are going to take it forward.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

The piece on Dario Franchitti's car was very nice. I am looking forward to more of this kind of article as well as more technical articles about the old and new cars.

I hope PCA will allow Pete the editorial license to offer less of the "everything Porsche does is wonderful" attitude regarding the new cars and Porsche marketing.

IMHO, PCA spends too much time in bed with PCNA and Porsche AG management to be critical of anything they do, or to discuss flaws such as the early Boxster engine failures, etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The piece on Dario Franchitti's car was very nice. I am looking forward to more of this kind of article as well as more technical articles about the old and new cars.

I hope PCA will allow Pete the editorial license to offer less of the "everything Porsche does is wonderful" attitude regarding the new cars and Porsche marketing.

IMHO, PCA spends too much time in bed with PCNA and Porsche AG management to be critical of anything they do, or to discuss flaws such as the early Boxster engine failures, etc.
While I agree that honest opinions on Porsche products and their quirks would be nice, Pete Stout will be in a very difficult position at times. It is a very fine line between constructive criticism and criticism that could damage the relationship that PCA has with PCNA and Porsche AG. Panorama is, after all, a Club publication. (A very good one at that!)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
While I agree that honest opinions on Porsche products and their quirks would be nice, Pete Stout will be in a very difficult position at times. It is a very fine line between constructive criticism and criticism that could damage the relationship that PCA has with PCNA and Porsche AG. Panorama is, after all, a Club publication. (A very good one at that!)
Like a politician facing a lobbyist who is telling him that if a certain line is not toed, the money sent to defeat him in his next election cycle will make him have to consider a new job.

Sad it works that way.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Cant wait to get it. Normally I get home and spend 10 min with it and toss it. Hopefully Pete can make some good changes.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Just to clear up some misconceptions.... The Panorama Editor has always had editorial freedom. The Executive Council of PCA really has no time to micromanage the club's magazine. We thought it was time for a change in direction and vision. Fortunately Pete agreed with our vision. As long what's printed doesn't get us dragged into court, fire up the printers.

PCNA / Porsche AG have zero control over PCA. I can say this as President because if they did, I wouldn't have accepted the nomination...remember, the President is a volunteer position. I have no financial gain in this gig. PCA has a great relationship with Porsche. That's a very good thing for the club. It allows us certain member benefits that other clubs do not enjoy. Porsche has NEVER said to me that they would withdraw sponsorship/advertising unless we only printed positive articles. btw, they were THRILLED to hear that Pete was moving to Panorama.

PCA is not reliant on Porsche sponsorship or advertising. We are reliant on membership dues however. This is why we wanted to see Pano, as well as other parts of the club,evolve. For the members. Pretty simple, isn't it? We exist for our members. If the club, it's magazine, website, etc improve, then maybe more members will renew, join, spread the word, etc. That keeps us in financially independent.

Glad you like the changes. I've seen what's coming up. It's very exciting.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it today. Haven't read everything yet, but my quick browse gets a thumbs up. Lots of interesting content.

John
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I also received mine today and actually read a few articles (and planning on reading 90% of it). Im impressed. Looking forward to the changes. And Manny, thanks for the responce. Your contribution to PCA is certainly appreciated. Your post was refreshing as to the attitude. I have been in PCA for a very long time and basically just to do a few social things a year and to keep on the instructor list (as I really enjoy the track time as well as the instruction aspect) and a magazine that I finally find intersting is a very positive thing!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I have the new Pano...I am enthused by the intial changes I am seeing. Already, some interesting articles about cars and people. Pano never was of interest for me as I am not "into" the PCA club happenings as much as I am the cars, the stories and real stories about the people who own them.
For what it has been, Pano was extremely well done...but it seems like it is going to evolve into a more interesting magazine (larger too!!!), at least to me.
Good luck Pete...glad to see you are going to take it forward.
I've never been involved in the club's activities, apart from the PCA corral at various races (Barber, Road Atlanta), since the average age of the active members (at least in my area) trends toward AARP membership (based on pictures), and I'm typically at work at 6:30 on a week night when they're having their monthly ice cream social or similar activity somewhere in the suburbs.

I got the new Panorama yesterday - already a marked improvement.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 924 Likes on 558 Posts

As one of those ARRP aged PCA members (who would never join ARRP- but that belongs in P&C), joining PCA as a bright eyed 21 year old back in 1971, I look forward to Pete's arrival at Panorama. I still enjoy Pano, but must admit I spend a lot more time reading Excellence. Maybe I'll have to allow more time for Pano now!!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
I've never been involved in the club's activities, apart from the PCA corral at various races (Barber, Road Atlanta), since the average age of the active members (at least in my area) trends toward AARP membership (based on pictures), and I'm typically at work at 6:30 on a week night when they're having their monthly ice cream social or similar activity somewhere in the suburbs.

Hey, I understand the reluctance to do the ice cream social thing, I hate it myself.

However, us AARP types come from an era when we all worked on our cars, rebuilt our own engines and gearboxes, maybe did a bit of SCCA racing and perhaps have a bit of interesting knowledge you might like to hear about... you might even like PCA more because of us.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
However, us AARP types come from an era when we all worked on our cars, rebuilt our own engines and gearboxes, maybe did a bit of SCCA racing and perhaps have a bit of interesting knowledge you might like to hear about... you might even like PCA more because of us.
Hear hear,....

Us AARP members might possibly have something worthwhile to contribute to our younger brethren that may prove useful one day. Once we are all in the grave, all that hands-on, long-term experience will no longer be available,...

Like many things in life, we never know what we had until its gone.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another barely AARP eligible member who was a Region President 25 years ago here to say my first impression is very favorable. But with Pete coming onboard, I really didn't see there being a problem.

Closing in on my 33rd year of receiving Panorama, and it's certainly gone from a "can't wait to get it" (need to see the classifieds and Stoddard's ad) to "eh, maybe I'll open the envelope it comes in one of these weeks".

Sure glad I remembered to open it this month!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

I guess we're all supposed to be impressed at your youth? Or your wisdom?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking forward to continued improvements and the larger format ...
The current issue was first issue I read cover to cover in over 20 years.

Quick Reply: From Excellence to Panorama's Chief Editor: RLer Stout (previously known as ExcMag)