Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

BEST OIL

Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST OIL

OK Guys,Try not to beat me up too much. I know oil discussions are always bad to bring up. My question: I have used AMSOIL with great results in cars and my Harley.Considering using it in my 993. Anyone using this or any comments as to good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks, MACK

Last edited by AKTUNG; 03-23-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:18 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Is there a reason to change the oil which has been used to date in the car? My reading before I got mine indicated that changing the oil that has historically been used in the car can be problematic with seals.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mack,

Nice car!!

Answering the title of your post, IMHO the very best oil one can buy is Motul 300V, however its NOT cheap.

I've never disassembled and inspected an engine after using Amsoil so I cannot offer anything constructive. For me, that's the definitive prerequisite for any lubricant.

Mobil 1 V-Twin oil isn't bad either,...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been told by the best of the best to always use Brad Penn in aircooled porsche motors. And that is what I do.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 603 Likes on 294 Posts

Steve I thought you were a fan of Brad Penn? If Mobil 1 V-twin is better are you talking about syn V-twin Mobil 1??
Thanks
Rich
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Steve I thought you were a fan of Brad Penn? If Mobil 1 V-twin is better are you talking about syn V-twin Mobil 1??
Thanks
Rich
That is exactly who I was talking about in my post.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just a note if we are poating about oil on a Sunday morning at 6AM there might be something wrong with us or maybe just still up from watching F1 Japan
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Exactly. On lap 12 at the moment. Gotta leave for a porsche event in an hour so trying to get it all in before we go.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post9898711
Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Lots of opinions on oil. Maybe because no one has ever had an engine failure that they can directly attribute to particular oil. My two cents on the issue is to not use a too high a viscosity oil as the very soft seals on the lifter cartridges on these older cars can be forced off from the higher cold starting pressures and all the attendant clacking that will follow at each future startup. Some of the modern oils such certain Mobil 1 grades have higher scuff reducing additives and may have some value in preserving the valve train.
Andy
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Thanks
Rich
Hi Rich,

I am a huge fan of Brad-Penn, however the original question was posed about what is THE best oil without any qualifications so I simply stated my opinion,...

For non-synthetics, Brad-Penn is at the very top of my list and for synthetics, 300V tops them all.

Knowing that most folks may not be willing to spring for 300V, I thought I'd offer a reasonable synthetic alternative thats well-proven.

Any of these products will protect these engines VERY well provided they are changed regularly to flush the engine of the byproducts of combustion.

JMHO,..I do not wish to trigger any oil "wars".
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve thanks for the post I don't want to start an oil war either
Rich
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

No war for me either guys. I am just wondering if anyone has used AMSOIL IN A 993 AND WHAT THEIR RESULTS WERE? As I said, I am a believer and use it in my Harley and other cars. Just want to know the opinion of others on it before I go from Mobil 01 to the Amsoil.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just for clarification, Brad Penn is semi-synthetic.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

You always get this argument "I have used oil XXX and am very satisfied and it gave great results" . What exaclty does that mean?

We can get indicators of how good an engine oil is by:
  • Runing an oil analysis on several changes over time to see trends. To be statistically significant, we need sample sizes more than 1 car, several changes, and control cases using other oils.
  • Tracking oil consumption and seeing if it gets better or worse. If it gets better, the oil is usually tagged as "good" (which may not be really true from a wear perspective)
  • Tracking oil leaks and puff of smoke on startup/running and see if they get better (oh yeah, see above)

IMHO, the only way to really find out if one oil is better than the other is to run two identical engines side by side, in exactly the same conditions for quite a while, take them apart and measure if there are any differences. I am willing to take the oil analysis as a proxy for this, with the assumption of less wear metals, "better" oil. However, just gut feel, or seat of the pants dyno'ing, or just its expensive so it must be good does not really cut it for me.

You can select a "good" oil by its characteristics (Zinc levels, heat tolerance, viscosity range, processing, etc) but you really do not know until its really used and measured in a controlled environment.

Just my two cents...

Cheers

Mike
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer Rice Oil for the high smoke point, with a little bit of chili oil for some kick

I use Rotella T6 in my Porsche and my TDI Jetta. No UOA's but the people at BobIsTheOilGuy.com speak very highly of it for almost every application.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BEST OIL