Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

CEL and flywheel -- is this urgent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:45 PM
porsche_fan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post CEL and flywheel -- is this urgent?

Recently the CEL has been lighting up fairly often in my car and the fault codes always read as a misfire -- sometimes it's all cylinders, sometimes it's just 3 or 4.

I have read a lot in the archived posts which discuss the misfire codes actually being caused by the flywheel. I also have the main symptom of a bad flywheel that I have seen posted -- the engine chatters/wobbles when it is turned off (are there any other symptoms to be looking for?).

I have started working through the main ignition parts; I have replaced the spark plugs and will be changing the distributor caps next, but I have a feeling that the main issue will end up being the flywheel.

My question is: if the flywheel is the problem, how urgent is it to change it? Could you cause damage by postponing this fix? Once it is replaced, will the engine feel smoother?

Any advice or experience with the matter is greatly appreciated.

The car has approx. 54K miles.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

If its the flywheel it should be good for quite a while - the inside piece is rattling/loose and is causing the crankshaft to slightly vary in speed, which the computer picks up as a misfire. Its not going to fly apart, and if you are getting a good rattle when you shut it off, that is definitely evidence.

You have done the usual stuff, like making sure that your belts are truly Porsche OEM?

Does the car feel smooth or is it a bit rough on idle, etc?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 AM
hkate
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche oem belts are a must. I had misfire w continental. Porsche belts cured it.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you checked your plug wires? They can get cracked and cause misfires also.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Have you checked your plug wires? They can get cracked and cause misfires also.
+++! I find these to be a big offender since they are rarely replaced on time.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
dp2boy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack, but are the plug wires a pretty simple DIY or is it a bit more involved ?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

plug wires blow on NA cars unless the previous mechanic made a few little helpful changes
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM
porsche_fan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the responses.

The idle is smooth when I first start the car, but after the engine gets hot (particularly after stop and go driving), the idle is far less smooth -- the engine feels almost "lumpy".

From what belts I can easily see, they all appear to be OEM belts.

I think I will be headed to the spark plug wires after the distributor caps. By the way, what is the recommended service life for the spark plug wires? While changing the plugs, I did not notice any cracked wires, but they were certainly starting to show their age.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dp2boy
Not to hijack, but are the plug wires a pretty simple DIY or is it a bit more involved ?
Plug wires aren't difficult, just "challenging". If doing the job with the engine in the car it helps to have long, skinny arms (an extra elbow joint would help too).

The most common time to notice bad plug wires is starting the car when the weather is extreemly damp/wet as this is when the voltage in the bad wire will jump to the surrounding metal (sometimes you can even see it).
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Plug wires aren't difficult, just "challenging". If doing the job with the engine in the car it helps to have long, skinny arms (an extra elbow joint would help too).

The most common time to notice bad plug wires is starting the car when the weather is extreemly damp/wet as this is when the voltage in the bad wire will jump to the surrounding metal (sometimes you can even see it).
eh, you ask me, taking out those philips head screws holding the plug blocks under the intake with about a quarter inch of clearance is a major *** pain, but thats just me. or of course removing the intake to avoid doing so.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a couple of mini-ratchets with phillips bits that work well.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_fan
Thank you for the responses.

The idle is smooth when I first start the car, but after the engine gets hot (particularly after stop and go driving), the idle is far less smooth -- the engine feels almost "lumpy".

From what belts I can easily see, they all appear to be OEM belts.

I think I will be headed to the spark plug wires after the distributor caps. By the way, what is the recommended service life for the spark plug wires? While changing the plugs, I did not notice any cracked wires, but they were certainly starting to show their age.
the 4-6 lower plug wires get exposed to a lot of heat, and from what I have read, those tend to dry out soonest.
you can save some money by purchasing the wire kits and re-using the connectors, assuming they are still good.

new full 993 wire set isn't cheap.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
If its the flywheel it should be good for quite a while - the inside piece is rattling/loose and is causing the crankshaft to slightly vary in speed, which the computer picks up as a misfire. Its not going to fly apart, and if you are getting a good rattle when you shut it off, that is definitely evidence.

You have done the usual stuff, like making sure that your belts are truly Porsche OEM?

Does the car feel smooth or is it a bit rough on idle, etc?

Cheers,

Mike
Hey Mike, I'm also getting a random misfire (just as above poster) sometimes different cylinders. I changed the belts (all Porsche OEM) and checked their tensions with Porsche tool, and changed out all spark plug wires with Beru OEM. Car also runs a bit rougher once it warms up. Maybe has a small rattle when I shut her down or start her up but I'm not sure if there's really a rattle or if that's just in my head? What's it really sound like? Anyone have a recording of it?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Wondering if the dual mass flywheel is affected by heat, allowing one that is "On its way out" to act up resulting in idle and CEL problems?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a possibility I guess. I also changed out my idler valve (brand new) and didn't make a bit of difference.

Any one else have any thoughts?

Quick Reply: CEL and flywheel -- is this urgent?