Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy An Ex Victory Car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:48 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Originally Posted by ilko
First of all - Congrats! Second - you can't expect "perfect" from a 15+ year old car that has actually been driven. The issues it has are common and easily fixable.

Regarding the RH wheels - I wouldn't deal with GMP. They are a PITA, don't return calls, customer service is non-existent. PM me if you like, I may be able to source a set directly from Germany.
Thanks to all for the well wishes. My garage has been a lonely place with just the Lexus in it and I'm really looking forward to having a fantastic 993 to keep it company. I'm really looking forward to being able to drive this car throughout most of the lovely Richmond summers.

A nice bonus this afternoon in that I found a carrier who happens to have a truck in the area and can grab the car tomorrow or Wednesday.

As far as the RH Cups, GMP told me that RH discontinued the wheels so even though there are a ton out there, there aren't any more. They said something about Speedline coercing them to cease making them. Considering that everyone else, save Veloce, has stopped making their SL clones, I would tend to believe that. There's certainly a market for that style wheel.

Ilko, I have experienced GMP's follow up prowess (or lack thereof) first hand. Matt is supposed to be back tomorrow. If he doesn't come through, I may take you up on your offer to check things out directly with Germany.

And now comes the slippery slope; these things are like 1911's. The car already has a Fister Stage II exhaust. I'm planning to do PSS10's and perhaps some Turbo S ducts. Since the body shop has to fire up the paint gun for the door check repair, why not? Although that's about as far from original as I'm prepared to go; as much due to budget as anything else.
Old 10-01-2012 | 09:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I think suspension, exhaust, and wheels in that order is the perfect trifecta for these cars. Well thought out!
Old 10-10-2012 | 02:29 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Coming off the truck from WA this morning. Absolutely sweet car...looks better than the photos I'd received.

Will post more after I shine her up, throw on the PSS10's and get the Cups.

Don't ask me why the darned thing is sideways. I've tried rotating but the editor on my stupid German work laptop won't save it that way.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2012 | 03:09 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Finally found some time to take the car for a spin and absolutely love it (I'd only driven one 993 before). The question is anyone actually able to heel toe in the stock configuration? My 89 was bad but I'm pretty sure the pedal offset on this car is worse.

What's everyone using to deal with this deficiency?
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:11 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
Finally found some time to take the car for a spin and absolutely love it (I'd only driven one 993 before). The question is anyone actually able to heel toe in the stock configuration? My 89 was bad but I'm pretty sure the pedal offset on this car is worse.

Tough with the stock pedals. If you add a wider gas pedal, you will be fine with rolling over the foot while braking. I am so comfortable with this that I can apply it to the stock pedals in my convertible but you are hitting the brake pedal 50% max. This works well as long as you are used to it (and comfortable!)
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacerX1166

Haha-use the search function here. There was a recent long thread and many others.
Old 10-11-2012 | 12:48 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Tough with the stock pedals. If you add a wider gas pedal, you will be fine with rolling over the foot while braking. I am so comfortable with this that I can apply it to the stock pedals in my convertible but you are hitting the brake pedal 50% max. This works well as long as you are used to it (and comfortable!)
I use the Rennline set with a gas pedal extension. I roll the right foot on the street, but actually use the heel/toe on the track. The former is a little more precise, and the latter is quicker and a bit cruder, but plenty effective.
Old 10-11-2012 | 09:16 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

Thanks for the input although I don't recall seeing a thread on the pedal deal lately.

I went Home Depot on my 89 by using an aluminum pedal (don't recall what brand) and some aluminum bushings from HD to bring it to the desired level. Not elegant but it looked and functioned quite well since the bushings were hidden. Might try the Rennline pedal extender this go around, if it's easier to adjust. Either way, something has to change. I've got small feet to begin with and am just not loving the pedal setup in the car.

BTW, I keep finding new reasons to love my 993. (Those who bore easily with the obvious should stop reading now) Compared to my 89, it's quicker, brakes better, handles better (from my limited use so far), and is so much more user friendly. I was in heaven this morning not having to touch the HVAC on the slightly chilly drive to the office.

Quick Reply: Buy An Ex Victory Car?