Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buy An Ex Victory Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like most independent dealers. Being in the used p-car business would be a tough proposition.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
I believe Steve stated on here recently that they've stopped doing PPI's.
that's correct. Steve doesn't do PPIs - Marque Motors or Stuttgart Autotech are the 2 most often used indies in Portland.

http://www.stuttgartautotech.com/

hope it checks out
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I'm a bit more encouraged after speaking with the seller over the weekend. Turns out he's an older gentleman who decided a Porsche would make a great retirement present. It was his first and likely his last one. He never did really say whether the shop that did his PPI was recommended by Victory. But the car seems to have been pretty trouble free while he's had it. He also has the feel of someone who follows maintenance requirements to the letter, so that's a good sign.

One thing that I found interesting was no leakdown or compression tests were done on the car before he bought it. So, my guess is the car will either sail through the PPI or the owner will get the shock of his life after the leakdown test results are in.

Regardless, I remain cautiously optimistic. Too bad the owner leaves for Vegas tomorrow and won't be back for a week. Between that and time to get it across the country, I'm guessing it'll be early November until it would arrive on my doorstep.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
No but

1. owner of Victory knows nothing about the cars
2. he is in to make a profit
3. so the cars don't always get properly repaired, which also goes back to 1.
I would say #1 is true of just about any dealer that is selling a used car unless they serviced it throughout its previous ownership, but even Robert Neal usually knows a little of the history of some the cars he buys to sell.

I definitely agree with #2 and that is his only motivation.

I also agree with #3 and think that it is the source of Victory's bad reputation - that, and Mr. Neal's ethics, or lack thereof. He does not stand behind his products.

Much, if not most, of Victory's inventory is never as described - "pristine" comes to mind. However, most is not all and as it has been mentioned before Victory does occasionally get some good cars. While they may not always mechanically repair their cars properly, I don't believe they sabotage the good ones either.

In the spirit of full disclosure I have to confess that I bought my car from Victory over 6 years ago, before I discovered Rennlist and knew better. I probably overpaid, but the car has been mechanically perfect - I did have a PPI with compression testing done - and the only imperfections were minor body glitches which I saw because I bought the car in person - the only way to safely buy from Victory.

So to the OP the fact your car passed through Victory does not mean it is automatically a bad car (see my comment about sabotage) and if the current owner hasn't had any problems, maybe it is a good car ...but have a PPI done anyway.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
No but

1. owner of Victory knows nothing about the cars
2. he is in to make a profit
3. so the cars don't always get properly repaired, which also goes back to 1.
Since when is making a profit a "negative"?!?!?!?!?

I agree that there needs to be ethical treatment of customers (i.e. not hiding known problems or misleading / lies concerning repairs, damage, etc.) but none of us would be able to afford a P-car if we (or the people/company you work for) didn't make a profit somewhere along the line!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
NY32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my Cab from Victory 10 months ago and have not had any problems that can be attributed to Victory. That is not quite the same as saying I haven't had a couple of problems--these cars are more than 15 years old. I read all of the posts on Victory more than once. I had a PPI done that was very picky. For what it is worth, my experience was fine.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine came from there, too, and it's been flailed for over six years now without any issue attributable to Victory.

Since you're here on RL, you have an enormous advantage in knowledge when buying these cars. Use it, and don't depend on the dealer's representation of the car to make your decision. Now that the car is one step removed from Victory, there is also another layer of maintenance/ownership to decode. Even so, rely on yourself, your knowledge, and your due diligence to determine if the car is OK.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 AM
G$ 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent choice for PPI. I had my PPI performed at marque. I also have my car serviced there. Was very happy with the service and have had zero problems with my car. Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
95carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all a crap shoot when buying these cars. Yes, you can lessen your chances of expense by doing your due diligence but sometimes things just go wrong on a 15 year old car. I have learned to accept this.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 PM
NY32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95carrera
It's all a crap shoot when buying these cars. Yes, you can lessen your chances of expense by doing your due diligence but sometimes things just go wrong on a 15 year old car. I have learned to accept this.
This is too true. I have owned both old cars and old boats and a PPI or survey will only tell you so much. I recently had to replace the ac condenser--pretty expensive--which went quickly and with little warning. My mechanic said he was starting to see more 993's with ac problems. His comment was that after 15 years it was about time for them to start failing.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Well, as it turned out, the PPI results weren't the issue; it's the seller.

PPI turned up some issues that I'll describe later (maybe).

Last communication with the owner of the car is that he's not inclined to adjust the price accordingly (or fix the car himself) despite the findings.

His rationale is that he's already selling the car to me below what his bottom price was and his wife is giving him hell so he's not inclined to lose any more money. He threw in a thinly veiled comment that he has other buyers so I can pretty much take it or leave it. Nice guy.

I'm a horrible person for sticking gun to his head and making him take my horrible offer (which he took a step further and agreed to make it pending a clean PPI). BTW, my offer was within market but at the low end since I'd have to ship it coast to coast.

It's a nice car so I offered to split the costs of the repairs. If he backs out, I'll post a pic and location so others can beware.

BTW, Marque Motors was great to work with. Definitely would recommend their work.

Last edited by RacerX1166; 09-28-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
nothing wrong with rescuing a 993 from a dealer that has no idea about them.
kudos!
Not sure that's the reason. It's the reports of deception or misrepresentation that seem to tarnish them.

To the OP-you'll find another.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Based on your comment that you're offering at the low end of the market sounds to me like the real issue is that you need to 'step up' and less that it's due to the owner of car 'backing out'.

Your location and transport costs are not the sellers concern.

If you're truly off, please disclose the outcome of the PPI so others on this site can benefit - especially someone who may place a higher value on the car, and is willing to purchase at the sellers bottom line price.

Good luck......be patient & realistic.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

The agreed upon amount has no bearing here. Whether it was $1 or $1 million, he agreed on a price of his own volition 'pending a clean PPI'.

The PPI wasn't clean but he still wants the full amount of money. I've already stepped up and offered to split the difference. Maybe I should offer him double because I feel bad for him?

It comes down to doing what you've agreed to; plain and simple.

If you read my post, you'll see I'm awaiting his response to my offer so I'm not out just yet. If he rejects said offer, I'll post the info. If he accepts, I'll post something a bit more pleasant.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like you did what was fair to consummate the deal.

Quick Reply: Buy An Ex Victory Car?