Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buy An Ex Victory Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Ed. Not to belabor the point but he told me my offer was below his bottom line when he accepted it. I told him that I didn't want him doing anything he'd regret so he should sleep on it.

Bottom line is he jumped on the first offer he got (mine) and now sees the chance to get more money from another buyer.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
Thanks Ed. Not to belabor the point but he told me my offer was below his bottom line when he accepted it. I told him that I didn't want him doing anything he'd regret so he should sleep on it.

Bottom line is he jumped on the first offer he got (mine) and now sees the chance to get more money from another buyer.
You wentvthe extra mile, it seems. Seems like that is all to common these days. We "sold" our house recently to a "pre-approved" couple. Turns out they don't have the 20% down, and didn't know what the cost of mortgage insurance would be. They reneged too. I'm so disillusioned by humanity currently.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The seller is entering fall and then winter, two obviously slow times to sell a sports car. He might be more malleable later on.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You wentvthe extra mile, it seems. Seems like that is all to common these days. We "sold" our house recently to a "pre-approved" couple. Turns out they don't have the 20% down, and didn't know what the cost of mortgage insurance would be. They reneged too. I'm so disillusioned by humanity currently.
Their lender should be taken out back and whipped 'til he/she drains a pint of blood.

I assume the buyers/lender looked into FHA loans?

Sorry for the OT.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM
baca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the 1995 911 on Autotrader that's priced at (asking)$23,500 that guards red? It' s in maryland and might be worth checking out. I think it's been repainted, but than again depending on the quality of the repaint, might be a non-issue, especially at that price point.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I hope you get to keep their 'good faith' deposit to compensate for the hassle.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

The 'pending a PPI' clause seems to be more protection for the buyer than obligation of the seller to sell for X minus the repairs identified in the PPI. I agree with Ed. You've met your end of the deal. Hopefully this works out. I've learned that some of the best car deals I've made are those that I did not buy.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No kidding. I wonder what we have learned from the 2008 debacle? Too bad I wasn't around to sign the release papers for their deposit for about 10 days.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The seller is entering fall and then winter, two obviously slow times to sell a sports car. He might be more malleable later on.

Their lender should be taken out back and whipped 'til he/she drains a pint of blood.

I assume the buyers/lender looked into FHA loans?

Sorry for the OT.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Done

Well, I had to give a little more than I'd already given but the deal is done. The car's probably worth it considering Kurt at Marque's comment of 'this is really a nice car.'

The issues? Nothing major, actually. Driver's door check about to fail. Brake fluid apparently hadn't been flushed in the two years he's owned the car. And the fan and alternator belts were toast; apparently, there's a pulley update that's needed as well.

Admittedly, I still have a bit of heartburn due to my own personal 'vice' of wanting the other party to concede when I'm right. Perhaps I'm not (right) but in my mind, something that's 'in perfect condition' ceases to be so when the word 'except' is added to the sentence. If I heard this guy tell me how 'perfect' this car was one more time, I think I'd have burned the miles, flown out there, and bopped him one. But again, it's a really nice car (so I'm told) and there are darned few of those on the market, priced accordingly.

I've got a set of PSS10's on hold for me and I'm trying to determine if I can still get a set of RH 3.6 Cups for the car. Apparently, RH discontinued the wheel so no more parts. GMP is looking to see if they've got pieces parts to make one last set for a NB 993. If not, I'll be looking for a set of Speedline (style) wheels elsewhere but that's a different post.

Obligatory photos:
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

To me, the issues are nothing for a car this old. Not sure what people expect for a clean PPI and a 15 year old car. Enjoy it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking car and a good color combo. Like the supple leather option. I agree with the above comment that these issues are minor, I think you made a good decision, congrats.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Congratulations!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Concur low issues. RH stopped making those? I see them everywhere, no? I went cheaper and got the Veloce, still have a slight rub issue that I think is minor and I can work out, FYI. Couldn't stomach the real Speedlines when they become a double digit % of the cost of the car
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166

The issues? Nothing major, actually. Driver's door check about to fail. Brake fluid apparently hadn't been flushed in the two years he's owned the car. And the fan and alternator belts were toast; apparently, there's a pulley update that's needed as well.

Admittedly, I still have a bit of heartburn due to my own personal 'vice' of wanting the other party to concede when I'm right. Perhaps I'm not (right) but in my mind, something that's 'in perfect condition' ceases to be so when the word 'except' is added to the sentence. If I heard this guy tell me how 'perfect' this car was one more time, I think I'd have burned the miles, flown out there, and bopped him one. But again, it's a really nice car (so I'm told) and there are darned few of those on the market, priced accordingly.
Wow..you are getting heartburn over the seller's description and over a few very minor issues on a car approaching 20 years old.

And to further re-inforce, Victory sell good vehicles. Robert Neal who has owns the business knows the Marque very well. I would trust buying a car from him.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slownrusty

And to further re-inforce, Victory sell good vehicles. Robert Neal who has owns the business knows the Marque very well. I would trust buying a car from him.
Joke of the day candidate.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

First of all - Congrats! Second - you can't expect "perfect" from a 15+ year old car that has actually been driven. The issues it has are common and easily fixable.

Regarding the RH wheels - I wouldn't deal with GMP. They are a PITA, don't return calls, customer service is non-existent. PM me if you like, I may be able to source a set directly from Germany.

Quick Reply: Buy An Ex Victory Car?