Sponsored by:

my 90K service, a question also

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts
Default my 90K service, a question also

Car had an extensive 60K by the PO, I bought it at 63K. Front diff serviced, all fluids, plugs, blah, blah, blah. I additionally did the dizzy cap's, rotor's, and belt, both pollen filters, at about 67K. Fuel pressure was perfect, ISV cleaned at that time also. All belts were new this season, oil changes are a given.

So, my former Indy-no longer does customer cars, and my current Indy who was a former Pcar dealer tech...kinda differ on what is needed. Comparing opinions, as well as the factory maintenance suggestions etc, I've settled on the following
12 new plugs
fuel filter(I have no record of it being changed)
2 new pollen filters
complete brake flush

My former Indy suggests the fuel pump be replaced due to mileage/age. I find no comments in RL threads regarding failed fuel pumps...so, what experience does the collective here have on this?

Neither Pcar workshop, or Pcar.com have any DIY for replacing the fuel pump. That has me wondering, how tough, and how much.

Now, I probably have no intention of doing either the plugs or the fuel filter change myself. While I more than likely am capable, and I have more than enough hi octane brews stored in the basement to console or congratulate myself on a job well done...it would take way too much time.

Weekends are very busy here this time of year, the upcoming Holiday weekend aside...cyclocross racing season starts the first weekend of Sept. I simply don't want to tie the car up for as long as I imagine it would take...mid week nights and a weekend.

Besides, my Indy is priced very fairly.

Anyway, fuel pump problems, reccomendations anyone?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
... I've settled on the following
12 new plugs
fuel filter(I have no record of it being changed)
2 new pollen filters
complete brake flush

My former Indy suggests the fuel pump be replaced due to mileage/age. I find no comments in RL threads regarding failed fuel pumps...so, what experience does the collective here have on this?
Not a mechanic but I see no reason to change the fuel pump. I did replace one in my '88 911 but it was leaking like a sieve...
not a difficult job on the '88 but you have to be prepared to get fuel all down your arms. No idea if the 993's are the same. ('88 is under the front of the car under a plate, pretty much where the steering rack is on the 993).

I would do everything you stated above but I would also replace the caps and rotors just to get back on the same cycle as the plugs, don't see any sense in staggering that maint.

Most definately replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done, not sure if that's a 30k or 60k item, I would probably do mine at 30k.

Air filter change??

Just my .02
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Fuel pumps are lifetime. Unless they fail. Which they very seldom do. 100K miles by X-mas?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I would do everything you stated above but I would also replace the caps and rotors just to get back on the same cycle as the plugs, don't see any sense in staggering that maint.

Most definately replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done, not sure if that's a 30k or 60k item, I would probably do mine at 30k.

Air filter change??

Just my .02
can't imagine caps and rotors being bad after 30K...no one has suggested those items. Air filter is K&N, recently cleaned/oiled.

Originally Posted by ilko
Fuel pumps are lifetime. Unless they fail. Which they very seldom do. 100K miles by X-mas?
If we have another $hit winter, no problem hitting six figures. Driving it daily, and starting very soon...every weekend will be bike race round trip's. As close as 30 minutes, or as far away as 6 hours.

Honestly, as much as I love driving this car...piling on the miles is sad at times. I just got a small gouge in the new front euro bumper cover last week- something sharp hit it at speed about 3" below the hood line. It's only about 3/8" long, but my eye goes to it all the time. Gotta try to get the raised edges cut down, and put some touch up paint on it.

It wasn't perfect by any stretch when I bought it, and I never expect it to be while in my ownership. I see the wear on the driver seat from use, and imagine I'll swap backs this winter at the very least.

At least it always sounds perfect...thanks to Mr. Fister.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 281 Posts

Don't forget power steering fluid and transmission drain and fill, Joe. Both are fairly easy to diy, to trim down the indy cost.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Not a mechanic but I see no reason to change the fuel pump.
Just my .02
You are so understated Bill
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Fuel pump? LEAVE IT!
However at 90kmi, I would.....
All fluids, steering, brake, engine, trans & front diff
All filters, oil, fuel, cabin, air
All belts, alt, fan, & AC also add the distributor belt.
Cap & rotors then all 12 plugs
While you are at it, test every plug wire, they may need to be replaced as well.

I just did my big service on my C4S all Porsche parts, & Motul fluids, it was just under $1000 in parts + fluids.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My fuel pump failed very suddenly at 157k miles. Part from vertex was $129, 1 hour labor from a dealer to change it...I'd wait until it fails...

Quick Reply: my 90K service, a question also