993 Forum 1995-1998

Track suspension set up ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
pvdw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track suspension set up ?

So, I decided to bite the bullit and just ordered the KW CLUBSPORT coilovers... Should be here in a week or so.

Wanting to hear from experience, what else should I definitely change at the same time while being under there ?

Looking at rennline camber plates, polyurethane bushings, drop links, toe & camber control arms, h&r sway bars etc ?
Any recommendations on rennline vs tarret vs erp ?

The Car is a c4s equipped with original sport chassis and is currently running and handling great.

Just want to see what would be the advice from others that have taken this route and wanting to do it right the first time ratherthen having to start over three times...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by pvdw
So, I decided to bite the bullit and just ordered the KW CLUBSPORT coilovers... Should be here in a week or so.

Wanting to hear from experience, what else should I definitely change at the same time while being under there ?

Looking at rennline camber plates, polyurethane bushings, drop links, toe & camber control arms, h&r sway bars etc ?
Any recommendations on rennline vs tarret vs erp ?

The Car is a c4s equipped with original sport chassis and is currently running and handling great.

Just want to see what would be the advice from others that have taken this route and wanting to do it right the first time ratherthen having to start over three times...
It really depends on how serious you are about doing track stuff vs street.

for a fun track car that is also ok on the street here's what I did
springs front ~500#/in, rear ~700
RS sport rubber bushes on all suspension arms except rear toe links which are monball and use locks rather than the unreliable factory eccentrics
solid flat rear sidemount bushes
RS wheel carriers and GT2 Evo monoball steering arms
8.5 &10 x18 wheels your choice of tires 225/40 & 265/35 to 245/35 & 285/30
shell seats
roll bar
6pt harness w/ Hans
lighten the car as much as possible
Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Hello Bill, thanks for your input as I've been reading a lot of your posts and found them always extremely valuable and to the point.

I went with 8.5 & 10 x 18 Techart wheels with semi-slick michelins.
Shell seats, roll bar or full cage, rs door panels, LWF and clutch, shorter gearratio's. (all on the wish list... Still getting longer)

However specifically on suspension setup, I'm hesitating between:
- KW clubsport with camber plates and monoball top mounts front and rear, combined with polyurethane bushes all round
- or adding rennline control arms, drop links etc at the same time
Would RS drop links work on a C4S ?
How do the rennlines compare to the RS drop links for example ?
Would the M30 swaybars be good enough or is there a big difference with H&R swaybars...

A lot of questions... Sorry but trying to figure out the best mod rather then a first small step.

Usage 90% track ( just lacking too much time in general to enjoy it as much as I would like)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to be the bearer of this , but if you are intending this to be 90% track then a C4 would not be a good platform to start from. Before you get in too deep consider where you are headed. Tracking means DE to racing? C4 would not be that competitive in either PCA or NASA etc. Initial mods for track would set you back 10k (depending on how much you can do yourself). If you really like the 993 platform, consider an already built car set up for the track already. A bit cheaper (40 to 60%).
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Have thougth it through, DE events only, no racing.

Prepared to spend the 10k In order to optimise it.
Kind of like the C4S neutral behavior and just love the looks of the curves :-)
Worst comes to worst, could always convert the AWD to RWD but not counting on it.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Hello Bill, thanks for your input as I've been reading a lot of your posts and found them always extremely valuable and to the point.

I went with 8.5 & 10 x 18 Techart wheels with semi-slick michelins.
Shell seats, roll bar or full cage, rs door panels, LWF and clutch, shorter gearratio's. (all on the wish list... Still getting longer)

However specifically on suspension setup, I'm hesitating between:
- KW clubsport with camber plates and monoball top mounts front and rear, combined with polyurethane bushes all round
- or adding rennline control arms, drop links etc at the same time
Would RS drop links work on a C4S ?
How do the rennlines compare to the RS drop links for example ?
Would the M30 swaybars be good enough or is there a big difference with H&R swaybars...

A lot of questions... Sorry but trying to figure out the best mod rather then a first small step.

Usage 90% track ( just lacking too much time in general to enjoy it as much as I would like)
I think camber plates w/ monoballs are fine and one of the first things that will be desired, I don't particularly like the Rennline design, I'd use either ERP or factory RS, these have ***** that can be replaced w/ quality(chrome w/ ful width Teflon bands) ***** from FK or Aurora if necessary, the Elephant sealed camber plates w/ monoballs also look promising

JMO but P/U bushes just don't belong on our cars, for street/DE sport hardness rubber, ie RS are great, these are even great for a dedicated track car, as that is what the Cups used, but if you want more precision than that then use monoball bushes all around as used in the RSR's

no matter what else you do want to use a monoball rear toe link w/ locks

RS drop links work fine w/ AWD chassis, I didn't know Rennline sold drop links.

I changed from M030 to TRG to RS swaybars, the RS sway bars are perfect IMO, HR are too big, again IMO, but are probably the second best choice, you can also get stiffer swaybar bushes from the Cup, RS, and RSR programs but I'd need to look up the part #s which depend on the size of the bar, I use RS, which are a stiffer rubber and work great
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I completely understand your attraction to the C4. If you divulge your current level of track experience then I can roll the magic 8 ball and tell you pretty much where your headed. C4 to a RWD car requires a bit of expense, but you can do it.

One advantage to the C4 is the brake system is better setup to convert to Motorsport ABS and wide body RSR flares. PM Glen Crawford on the board. He started out with a C4 and moved on to a C2 that is now RSR setup (less the engine). To make your car competitive ( even DE fast) your looking at 15k minimum investment. A really fast NB 993 track car will run you 30 to 40K. The money you put into your 993 will drop the value a bit by setting it up for the track so really consider the dollars before you spend. My advice is based on my own experience which includes smart and really stupid decisions. Don't rule out racing yet, DE's are fun, but it's akin to becoming a good skier and not wanting take the lift to the top and ski the expert slopes. Look at your past hobbies and sports you enjoy. How far do you take your hobbies and that will dictate where the track bug is taking you. It is very easy to get hooked and will certainly enjoy the progression.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobt993
I completely understand your attraction to the C4. If you divulge your current level of track experience then I can roll the magic 8 ball and tell you pretty much where your headed. C4 to a RWD car requires a bit of expense, but you can do it.

One advantage to the C4 is the brake system is better setup to convert to Motorsport ABS and wide body RSR flares. PM Glen Crawford on the board. He started out with a C4 and moved on to a C2 that is now RSR setup (less the engine). To make your car competitive ( even DE fast) your looking at 15k minimum investment. A really fast NB 993 track car will run you 30 to 40K. The money you put into your 993 will drop the value a bit by setting it up for the track so really consider the dollars before you spend. My advice is based on my own experience which includes smart and really stupid decisions. Don't rule out racing yet, DE's are fun, but it's akin to becoming a good skier and not wanting take the lift to the top and ski the expert slopes. Look at your past hobbies and sports you enjoy. How far do you take your hobbies and that will dictate where the track bug is taking you. It is very easy to get hooked and will certainly enjoy the progression.
I'm not sure I buy your skiing analogy. I would suggest that skiing the whole mountain is like track days/DEs and racing is like... well, racing.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have seen dozens of guys start work on their car with the intention of doing just DE's then wanting to do more. They end up spending a ton of money on the car they are now comfortable with. The point or should I say the suggestion is be very sure of what you want or have your options covered. I wish the very best for the OP and if there is any way he can avoid extra cost factors I would like to help him do that. When a car is 90% track then it is more than likely getting a log book in the future.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have seen dozens of guys start work on their car with the intention of doing just DE's then wanting to do more. They end up spending a ton of money on the car they are now comfortable with. The point or should I say the suggestion is be very sure of what you want or have your options covered. I wish the very best for the OP and if there is any way he can avoid extra cost factors I would like to help him do that. When a car is 90% track then it is more than likely getting a log book in the future.
No argument there.

My car is now a complete compromise. But it's MY compromise!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 AM
pvdw
Instructor

To bobt993,
No problem with good advice based on experience, greatly appreciated ;-)
Based in Belgium so we don't have that many real porsche amateur racing opportunities like in the States. Next to that, don't really have the spare time required to go full out on a racing hobby unfortunately. Have actually though about buying an Ariel atom for track usage but ended up concluding that I love my C4S, would keep it anyhow and have decided that I don't care about the resale value. I 'd rather keep it and get the maximum of fun out of it.
In my estimate, it's going to cost me about 15 to 25 to get where I want (depending on how far I take it ) and there is no way that for that amount I could end up with a car as good as this one will be....
Just my thoughts after two years of studying my options and reading up on the numerous Rennlist, piston heads and pelican fora.
But nevertheless, good advice is always appreciated even if it isn't what I have in mind.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...Would the M30 swaybars be good enough or is there a big difference with H&R swaybars...

Besides what's already been suggested and you have in your list, I immediately thought that you should add RS sway bars.
You get the adjustability which is important and maybe even more so with 4WD. M30 sways for sure aren't good enough when compared to the rest of the stuff you have going on.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
pvdw
Instructor

I didn't think the RS sways etc would fit an wide body, specially in the back. If the aftermarket products don't have any real advantage over OEM RS parts, I'd actually prefer the RS as they kind of go with the 3.8 engine inside :-)

Are the wheel carriers a real plus? Hadn't thought about these although I remember reading about it on jackals website

Needed immediately or fine as a later improvement ? Although that would mean geo and cornering etc so I guess I know the answer...
But what do they really bring ?

Bill, what do you mean when you say the p/u bushes arenot for our kind off cars ? Too harsh or direct, changes the handling predictability or ?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

The bummer about being based in Belgium is you are stuck going to Spa and the Ring. Definitely should be a blast.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Three weeks ago, I had a three day track weekend at the Porsche days at spa
It's like I had a little visit to heaven, or call it Porsche mecca if you like :-)

I wasn't complaining, was I ?

Should figure out how to post video's, went pretty well next too the new stuff.

Quick Reply: Track suspension set up ?