Is Remote Fob Standard on 993?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
JayEmm
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Remote Fob Standard on 993?

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum, so many apologies if the question has been asked/answered already (I did search, but not luck!)

I am looking at buying a slightly sorry-looking 993 Targa, which currently only has the one key and a single immobiliser chip-thing. Most of the other 993s I've seen all have remote locking, but I'm not sure if it was an option?

If so, how can you identify if the car has remote locking/unlocking?

If it is standard, where can you find the code for the car as there's definitely not one with it!

James
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all.. Welcome to the list... Make sure to stop by daily like the rest of us.

As one of the pre-requisites of joining the forum is posting PIX of your new toy..

The FOB is a MUST. The 993 have an immobilizer which was NOT an option, and can be a real PIA. Unfortunately if this a 96, then there isn't even a way to get rid/bypass it. I believe the 97/98 versions can be bypassed. Not sure about the 95.

Don't loose the FOB, new ones are like $150-$200 and then need to be programmed for your specific car.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 249 Posts

Welcome JayEmm!
You mention a chip-thingy, I've seen some aftermarket immobilizer systems, especially in the UK with electronic keys. The connector could look a bit like an USB plug. As far as I know, all UK cars were fitted with such an alarm system by the Porsche dealers due to country regulations.

Porsche Drive Block (immobilizer) was indeed an option from Porsche, (M530) and very common in US-sold cars. The best way to spot this is to see the special Drive Block indicator light in the dashboard.(in the clock?)
It is seldom seen in european countries. Here in Norway, and I believe in the rest of the Nordics, the insurance companies never approved the system.
Some experience problems with the immobilizer system, especially if the key fobs give up the ghost or the control unit itself fails.
Deleting it require a new or reprogrammed Motronic engine control unit, and a relay jumper in the fuse box.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
JayEmm
3rd Gear

Thanks chaps, I haven't yet taken the plunge but want to go into it with eyes wide open!

As far as I am aware the immobiliser that is with the key is a standard fit one, it slots into the dash above and to the right of the ignition (bearing in mind this is a UK car).

Just to clarify, the car SHOULD have a remote fob with it, but I guess this is going to be a PITA to get new ones and program them to they car?

The previous owner did neglect quite a few things on the car (I'm looking at getting it as a light resto)
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry... I was referencing US cars. We don't have that "chip" plug in thing. Just the remote, which controls the locks and the immobilizer.

Good luck and where are the pictures ;-)..
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome JayEmm!! I believe all cars came with a pair of keys that pivoted out from a handle which we North America called the "Switchblade" resembling this type of knife. Within this handle is the remote battery and chip.
Many owners have since replaced this prone to breakage key system with a separate key with an LED lit head on a chained rectangular remote fob that houses the battery and chip. Save up and get a couple of spares and reprogram them altogether.

Yes, we need to see photographs!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

As far as I know, most UK-sold 993's have a PA1000 alarm system. Key fob registering should be no problem:
http://84.92.247.189/pics/Cars/Parts/PA1000_System.pdf
Manufacturer:
http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/

Here's a Porsche community in the UK:
http://www.911uk.com/

Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 AM
JayEmm
3rd Gear

Sehr interesting!

Thanks for all your help... hopefully I will soon return with pics, if I do take the plunge.

You can bank on my return if I do, in any case I'll keep an eye on this forum as my day job involves working with these cars a bit anyway.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Since u are looking at a targa, take special care on inspecting the roof. Look for signs of water under the carpets, carefully look at the seals, and even look inder the seals, such as the one between the top and the body below the rear window. Check its operation and alignment - we have some experts on the list but ideally you do not want to go there. Ideally test drive it in the rain, or soak with a hose - it should be watertight.

The targas can be very good, but one with issues will cost a lot of money to fix and cause you a lot of greif. Dont ask me how i know....

And of course do a full ppi with compression and leakdown test.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
gsholz
Intermediate

I have an early 95 cab without the immobilizer or the remote fob. I does have power door locks. I thought the immobilizer was '96 onward.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Almost all 993's have powered door locks and a lock/alarm module. Maybe some special lightweight models did not. The lock and/or alarm operation is controlled by turning the key in the doors.
Only Porsche Drive Block-equipped cars had remote control units when they left the factory.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 owner should get ToreB system . Reasonable cost ( cheap ) and easy to do .

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-easy-diy.html

Cheers Guy

Quick Reply: Is Remote Fob Standard on 993?