Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

stolen 993 - beware, they are climbing in value

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lojack installed on my new car was a $1000 option. Insurance company said there was no discount for it, so that tells me they don't think it's worthwhile. So, let that information speak for itself.

Now to sort through those 994 parts
Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I think the settlement was "fair" - the car had about 150,000 miles on it, so they deducted $11,000 and some change for mileage from the price of lower mileage cars - the established an "actual cash value base price" of $23,110.18, added in sales tax, unused license fees and got to $25,399.87. The Mitchell report that they used showed a similar car with 66K miles at $32K, one with 56K miles at $35K, and one with 71K miles at $36K. I would have been happier with 30 to 35K, which is what I would have sold it for
I have stopped reading at this exact point. Are you serious? If you are, why didn't you negotiate with your insurance company? Were they a little tougher than a group of 993 owners who can swallow that statement?

$23K for a 150K miles car should make anyone happier than a hog in a dirt puddle in the middle of Arkansas.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

This Dropcam may be a good option for some. A motion detector device that texts you when set off. It also triggers a camera which uploads video to the web which you can access. The cost seems very reasonable.

https://www.dropcam.com/

No affiliation . . .
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM
travanx
Pro

I was the one who had my white 993, stolen from my driveway in Glendale a little over 3 years ago. The worst part is I have still never seen those rims on the internet. Custom Work Brombacher wheels in gold. Insurance gave me more than I expected. Basically what I paid and had put 15,000 miles while owning the car.

These guys towed out of my driveway which I woke up to. And was on the phone with police as they started the car up the street. I could hear the car driving away as the police came down my street to talk to me. The police sped off so fast I couldn't believe it searching for the car for a while before coming back empty handed. Never heard anything about the car to this day. Though I will eventually post the VIN in a few months and give the VIN some SEO loving so search engines really see it.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
I have stopped reading at this exact point. Are you serious? If you are, why didn't you negotiate with your insurance company? Were they a little tougher than a group of 993 owners who can swallow that statement?
I wish I could understand what you are trying to tell me, but I can't. I am not unhappy with the settlement, I wanted a non-convertible anyway. I had just put $5,000 into paint and a new top, I had changed the steering rack (leaking) about a week before, clutch, differential - these are expensive for the non-mechanic. In a private sale I think I would have gotten more, but this wasn't a private sale, and I didn't (don't) have to worry about a bounced check or other folderol. I've taken the check, I've replaced the car, I'm not complaining. Can you please restate whatever it was you were trying to say so that I can understand it?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by travanx
I was the one who had my white 993, stolen from my driveway in Glendale a little over 3 years ago. The worst part is I have still never seen those rims on the internet. Custom Work Brombacher wheels in gold. Insurance gave me more than I expected. Basically what I paid and had put 15,000 miles while owning the car.

These guys towed out of my driveway which I woke up to. And was on the phone with police as they started the car up the street. I could hear the car driving away as the police came down my street to talk to me. The police sped off so fast I couldn't believe it searching for the car for a while before coming back empty handed. Never heard anything about the car to this day. Though I will eventually post the VIN in a few months and give the VIN some SEO loving so search engines really see it.
given the way the DME and the alarm are tied together, burried under the seat with bolts that have to be cut off to access the wires and stuff, I'm surprised they could start it. Had you modified this system in some way or was my understanding (from the factory manuals) about its security and integrity wrong? Even with a spare computer that was rewired to not require the alarm, you have to get at the wires to the old one and that requires removing the driver's seat.

Can anyone shed light on this? (by the way, I didn't hear my car start, but that doesn't mean they didn't start it)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone shed light on this...william_b_noble
Have a look at J D Hertz's post #20:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post7170919

And sorry about your car.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish I could understand what you are trying to tell me, but I can't. I am not unhappy with the settlement, I wanted a non-convertible anyway. I had just put $5,000 into paint and a new top, I had changed the steering rack (leaking) about a week before, clutch, differential - these are expensive for the non-mechanic. In a private sale I think I would have gotten more, but this wasn't a private sale, and I didn't (don't) have to worry about a bounced check or other folderol. I've taken the check, I've replaced the car, I'm not complaining. Can you please restate whatever it was you were trying to say so that I can understand it?
I am telling you that your idea that you could somehow get $30K or more out of a 150K mile car is so far away from reality that it shouldn't even merit further reading. Regardless of what you've put in a car. Show us a single private sale of a 993 with 130K+ miles for $30K. It's a $20K car if you are lucky to find someone here on Rennlist. Outside of Rennlist it's a $16K car if that. BTW, convertibles are cheaper than coupes.

I'm sure you are unhappy about the car being stolen and I can be sympathetic with you, that really sucks. But only from the loss of security standpoint. Monetarily you've made out like a bandit. Certainly better than the crooks who actually stole the car (they'll get $4-5K for it if lucky).

It's all good at the end, you got what you were looking for. But, guys, let's get to some resemblance of reality here on pricing.

PS. I'm neither buying nor selling my 993 currently.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

given the way the DME and the alarm are tied together, burried under the seat with bolts that have to be cut off to access the wires and stuff, I'm surprised they could start it.
I can easily be started IF someone had a spare remote.

As I understand the Drive Block - Immobilizer system...

That is why it is a good idea to re-program the immobilizer so that any other remotes no longer with you (if you just bought the vehicle), are deleted from the unit's memory. The codes of up to 4 remotes can be stored in the unit. If you let someone else program the remotes into the unit, who is to say they didn't program another remote into the unit they did not give you.

And who knows, maybe there is a master code that works on all Drive Block - Immobilizer that we do not know about.

And in the end, it is always best to come up with your own disabling circuit. Those are not published in any manual and the only way your vehicle is leaving, is on a flatbed. Time is a thief's worst enemy.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rinty
Have a look at J D Hertz's post #20:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post7170919

And sorry about your car.
that's an interesting thread, I think it answers my question - in MY case (not the one in the thread), I bought the car from a dealer in 2000, and the last time the keys were out of my posession was at least 5 years ago .... except for a recent trip to a body shop.....(pauses to think)..... that shop does a lot of much higher end cars than a "lowly" porsche - it's filled with bentleys and stuff - I guess it's not impossible that they registered a key with the car, but I think it's rather unlikely, so I will stick with the "they towed it away, and then took it apart" theory. Although, I was told (by whom? maybe the dealer I got my new one from?) that the 993, as the last "real" porsche, e.g. air cooled, is in very high demand in Germany and that stolen cars go there. I haven't attempted to verify that.

I guess I can take comfort that the thieves probably thought (because the car looked good) that they were getting a low mileage car that was valuable, and they ended up with a car that had high mileage and was at the time of the theft complaining about the SAI issue (again!) and was also showing all possible misfire faults, and one other that I now forget. And, having been in some accidents, there was damage to the CAT, and to various undercarriage items that the body shops didn't fix right.

RE whether I got a "windfall" from the insurance or not - the price on these cars has been rising lately, so last year, or two years ago, I think maybe 25K would have been high for a car with 150K miles, but with the value rising, I'm not at all sure. Look at it this way, my 356A has at least 500,000 miles on it (I did that myself, not counting what any previous owner did) - the car cost about $6,000 new. it is 100% original parts - matching serial numbers, etc (as was the stolen 993) - I submit that the 356 is worth substantially more than it sold for new. The 993 wasn't in that category, but it was in the "price is rising" category.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

by the way, as I go through my accumulation of parts for this car, I find a set of unopened front pads (textar), a pair of sensors, and the antisqueak "shims" - pm me if interested - I think I also have a spare set of front rotors.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

William, I don't think you got a windfall (nor would I ever complain that an insurance company paid anyone too much). I think you got a very good price from them - higher than you'd be able to get on the street. Which is great in my book. So what I'm saying - don't beat yourself over it.

A 356A with 500K miles... that certainly demands respect. Wow. How many years have you driven it?

On where the cars go... I'd be totally amazed if the car could possibly go to Germany. Most likely places would be Central/Latin America, Middle East or Eastern Europe. But I still think that it ended up in parts within a couple hours of being stolen. Which is sad, no matter how many miles it had on it.

PS. Now, what are you asking for those front pads?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

any new parts I find will be 20% off of Pelican, that seems fair. any used parts will be 20% off of ebay pricing.

RE the 356 - I was driving it about 150 miles round trip many times per day and then 90 miles daily for 15 years, plus a couple of 5,000 mile vacations, many 1000 mile short trips, etc (I once got 56 mpg, but averaged 45 mpg). I found that a valve job at abut 80,000 to 100,000 and a full overhaul at 250,000 would keep it running fine. Transmission failed around 350,000 and had it rebuilt. With the older cars, you really can just keep fixing them. There is an article on how to construct the electronic ignition I made for it on my web page (www.wbnoble.com) but I don't have a photo there except in the background of another photo under hobbies/cars. I haven't driven the 356 since I got the 944 in '85, but I keep thinking I will - add battery, clean fuel lines, add tires and go.

the 500K miles is an estimate, the odometer had a habbit of wearing out the little brass gear that drives the vreeder roote counter, so that is an estimate based on a hobbs meter that I installed (change oil every 100 hours of engine time).

Last edited by william_b_noble; 09-03-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread scares the crap out of me. I just turned 117k yet have poured $30k in mods in to my car in just the past two years. I have no doubt my insurance company would take the same tact regardless of any bills I would produce if God forbid...

As a previous post notes even a private sale would never yield remotely close to what I put in but still to replace whats there would take 997GT3 $$$.

I wonder if getting a custom appraisal based on current state to then set an agreed value policy is the way to go?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

There's no question agreed value is the way to go, if you want to hit your perceived value.

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
This thread scares the crap out of me. I just turned 117k yet have poured $30k in mods in to my car in just the past two years. I have no doubt my insurance company would take the same tact regardless of any bills I would produce if God forbid...

As a previous post notes even a private sale would never yield remotely close to what I put in but still to replace whats there would take 997GT3 $$$.

I wonder if getting a custom appraisal based on current state to then set an agreed value policy is the way to go?

Quick Reply: stolen 993 - beware, they are climbing in value