Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apply security in layers, the more the better and try to increase the time and exposure it may take for someone to do the job. Do not rely on one device or system as a catch all. Make someone else an easier target. An experienced tow truck/driver with the right tools will remove any car from anywhere. Ask the repo men they do it for an honest living.

More info about the car may be helpful in a recovery. I think someone already hit the nail on the head. If it hasn't already set sail it's probably in an intermodal container on a ship down at the docks.

Good luck, I hope it gets recovered unharmed.

Nick
Old 12-24-2009, 04:53 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine. Best of luck OP.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
This might lead to a good question... How effective are the immobilizer's in these cars? What have other 993 owners done by way of aftermarket alarm systems, etc. I know if someone wants your car bad enough they'll find a way of getting it. But I'm curious if there are any options out there to make steeling these cars a little more difficult.
This is an excellent question. Answer: Not good enough to stop a pro.
Several months ago an owner here on RL reported his car was started backed out of his driveway and stolen basically in front of him while he ran out into the yard realizing what was happening trying to stop it and watched his car drive out of sight.

Discussing some of this stuff is not bad either, but one layer of security to keep in mind, particularly in an open public forum. Is the less you share about your methods the more secure they are.

Part of my job entails network security. We have potential clients that attempt to drill us on our security policies and when they put in a request for proposal to us that asks us about our network security policies and how our network is secured, the only answer they get back is that we do not discuss our security policies outside the company.

Like poker... never show your hand...

Nick
Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Blue993TurboStolen
6th Gear

My advice - should have taken it myself, have one in my truck - install a hidden GPS pinger. $200, with two-way pinging - secure radius exceeded, send a ping every X minutes, or you can ping it and have it ping back its location. Very unlikely the thieves will be looking for it.

Lojack has done nothing so far
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I own a large automotive only locksmith company and all I can say is that security doesn't exist. If you think that any vehicle is unstealable, its time to wake up... We make keys to literally thousands of vehicles weekly and very few of them throw us for a loop. Transponder/ immobiliser technology has advanced greatly since our cars were built but even the newest innovations are routinely cracked... The luxury manufacturers are a bit more difficult, but you'd be blown away at the software that's out there and available for sale.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue993TurboStolen
Was your Turbo equipped with Lojack?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Blue993TurboStolen
6th Gear

Default Yes it had Lojack, no good so far

My advice - should have taken it myself, have one in my truck - install a hidden GPS pinger. $200, with two-way pinging - secure radius exceeded, send a ping every X minutes, or you can ping it and have it ping back its location. Very unlikely the thieves will be looking for it.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:50 AM
travanx
Pro

I was the one who heard mine being taken out of my driveway from Glendale. Possible leads were given to Detective, he couldn't be bothered. Detective continued to eat donuts. The car is gone forever. Made me realize the only way to get caught stealing a car is if you crash a stolen car into a police station, and then you might get the car found.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:51 AM
travanx
Pro

Oddly enough that car looks like its on the same lot as where I bought my car from in Newport Beach. hmmm

Originally Posted by Blue993TurboStolen
Hi - 993TT taken from curbside Tuesday night 12/22/09. Alarm set, don't know how they got through the immobilizer or it was towed.

Chrome wheels, otherwise stock

Any tips please call Newport Beach police or email me

Chris
Old 12-25-2009, 05:20 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
Oddly enough that car looks like its on the same lot as where I bought my car from in Newport Beach. hmmm
Wow. Now that is extremely interesting. You could be on to a major clue here for a car thief ring. Makes total sense. Car lot has keys to all the cars in their inventory. Inside person swipes one of the keys while car is in inventory. Then looks up buyers address on sales paperwork.

Did both of you receive all the cars keys?

Have you checked with P dealer on replacement key history? Has anyone had duplicates made for your cars?

How long did you each own car before it's theft?

Were cars stolen from your homes?

I'm probably just buggin' out?

Phil
Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 AM
travanx
Pro

I bought my car May '08, taken July '09. There were 2 sets of keys. Car was taken from registered address at time of sale.

Can I go to any Porsche dealer and find out the key history?

Out of more curiosity who was your mechanic?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:58 AM
TTKan
Pro

I am very, very sorry to hear about your loss. I say empty your clip into these thieving bastards and reduce the likelihood that they will procreate!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:10 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you outside of SoCal, Newport Beach is one of the most exclusive, expensive ("nicest") areas in the entire U.S. However, it is very popular and touristy with a lot of visitor traffic, including thieves.

So a key takeaway here is that a "nice" area offers you zero protection. In fact, if you're a thief with a long list of steal-to-order luxury cars, heading straight to a "nice" area makes perfect sense and is an efficient use of time. I a weird way, you're probably safest in a more random middle class area, where no one is expecting a nice car.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 PM
simpateko
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone check Nicolas Cage's garage?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, this sucks big time. Sorry to hear that.

I can almost guarantee you that whoever took the car must have had it towed or had the remote/key for it. With the immobilizer, there is no way the car will start with just the key. You can't get by the Immobilizer. The ECU is disabled and the car would just not start. If Travanx heard his car being driven away, the thief had the key and the remote with the right code. These cars can't be hardwired.

Travanx car coming from the same dealer may be a coincidence, or not. I would really look into the dealer that sold the car as a possible connection. This may be going on without them knowing, it just takes one crook working on the inside. Shops making duplicate keys/remote to later break into cars is nothing new. It happened to me many years ago. The shop got greedy and eventually the police made the connection and caught the guy. There were hundreds of cars broken into and contents stolen without any signs of breaking in.

Good luck on getting it back!

Quick Reply: 1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach