993 Forum 1995-1998

stolen 993 - beware, they are climbing in value

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
given the way the DME and the alarm are tied together, burried under the seat with bolts that have to be cut off to access the wires and stuff, I'm surprised they could start it. Had you modified this system in some way or was my understanding (from the factory manuals) about its security and integrity wrong? Even with a spare computer that was rewired to not require the alarm, you have to get at the wires to the old one and that requires removing the driver's seat.

Can anyone shed light on this? (by the way, I didn't hear my car start, but that doesn't mean they didn't start it)
The only electronic mod would have been the stereo system. A local Porsche only mechanic was the only other person who touched my car after I bought it from a dealer in Newport Beach about a year before it happened.

I was frequently going to Sunset for drinks leading up to this event. And was told by a few different people that my car was being watched closely for this to happen. The police couldn't believe they took the car from a cul-de-sac in the mountain. My old next door neighbors were parking a Ferrari and Veilside NSX on our street for longer periods of time a year or so before this, so I didn't feel so bad not always parking in the garage.

If I was to ever buy another car like this I would have a motion sensing video camera that sent any motion video to my phone. Which when we move I will have our entire property set up like this. Maybe because I am an engineer I might go very over board with this setup. Car thieves can . I have had multiple cars stolen and broken into during college so this wasn't exactly new. But you could imagine the pain when spending money bringing a used car to be like new and putting in over $10k in mods and having it disappear.

Yeah my current car sits on stock wheels, my first car I have owned with stock wheels. =( No stereo system, no real mods, no nothing. And this little Honda is starting to get stolen in SoCal more frequently. =(

If anyone else wants their VIN's posted with what I will do, let me know, as what I post seems to almost hit a google search in the top 1 result within a week. Since a little bird did tell me what a busted chop shop was doing. Just in case my car was found in that bundle of fun. I have to think the car community for looking out for each other in that way.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

993's are climbing in value?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a large thread very recently on agreed value insurance. In case of Flat-6 that seems the _only_ way to go.

William, the 356 story is beyond impressive to me. Seriously. I mostly buy and drive older cars but don;t think I've driven more than 80-100K miles in any one of them over the years.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/pr...by=bestSellers
Cheap, and can be moved from one car to the next as needed.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
There is a large thread very recently on agreed value insurance. In case of Flat-6 that seems the _only_ way to go.

William, the 356 story is beyond impressive to me. Seriously. I mostly buy and drive older cars but don;t think I've driven more than 80-100K miles in any one of them over the years.
if you drive the car every day and use it for family vacations, the miles add up. I bought the 356 in 72 and drove it until 85, frequently doing 150 mile round trips daily for much of a decade, and then 90 miles daily, I was probably doing 30,000 to 40,000 miles per year for 13 years - maybe that's not REALLY 500K, maybe it is (remember, odometer is broken) "only" 390K miles maybe it's actually more than 500K - it's actually unknowable. But I do know that I would change oil at 100 hours and overhaul the valves once, then at next valve job, rebuild engine.

On the 944, I drove it from 85 to 2000 (15 years) and the odometer went to just below 250K and I bought the 993 and gave it to my brother. it now needs ball joints. (anyone need a high mileage 944?)

So, these Porsche cars are actually pretty good at that longevity thing....
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

RE those trackport things - if a LoJack jammer blocks LoJack, an equivalent simple jammer will also block GPS signals, I don't see how they could work.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 AM
porschemania1974
1st Gear

Hi guys,
I'm desperate to find help with my 1996 993 C2 Tiptronic... When the engine is reaching 90 degrees huge amount of oil is spilled back all over the engine through the rubber filling hose. Literally huge amount of oil!. It's like I'm on fire back there and I must stop immediately... What could trigger that? The oil pump next to oil tank? One of the other oil pumps if there are others? Please help!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porschemania1974
Hi guys,
I'm desperate to find help with my 1996 993 C2 Tiptronic... When the engine is reaching 90 degrees huge amount of oil is spilled back all over the engine through the rubber filling hose. Literally huge amount of oil!. It's like I'm on fire back there and I must stop immediately... What could trigger that? The oil pump next to oil tank? One of the other oil pumps if there are others? Please help!
the rubber filling hose for the engine oil? if yes, did you overfill it? that would be my first guess.

The other possibility is that the thermostat is not working correctly - I never had that problem - see the shop manual for information - I just got rid of my maual set now that I don't have the car.

Last edited by william_b_noble; 09-07-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
993's are climbing in value?
Absolutely.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemania1974
Hi guys,
Why not use your first post as an introduction and dedicated to your question, instead of asking it on a stolen car thread? But, welcome to RL.

Quick Reply: stolen 993 - beware, they are climbing in value