Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

:: ECS Tuning :: Dread Taking Your Rotor Screws Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default :: ECS Tuning :: Dread Taking Your Rotor Screws Out ?

These "NEW" stainless steel screws, only offered exclusively through ECS will make your future brake jobs a cinch. Rotor screws can easily be damaged during the removal or from the heat the brakes make. When you need to replace your rotors, do it right, and always use ECS Stainless Steel Rotor Set Screws.

CLICK HERE for more information.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Are these stainless steel screws stronger, weaker or the same strength as the stock ones? I find the issue has less to do with removal, provided anti-seize has been put on the threads, and more to do with shearing.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Are these stainless steel screws stronger, weaker or the same strength as the stock ones?
Generally, stainless steel fasteners (A2-70) are weaker.

I find the issue has less to do with removal, provided anti-seize has been put on the threads, and more to do with shearing.
A quality impact driver with a proper fitting quality bit will always get them out.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Generally, stainless steel fasteners (A2-70) are weaker.
That's what I thought, but I don't want to assume anything about the screws in question.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found that the shearing and stripping attributed to factory screws has less to do with the strength of the material, and more to do with its corrosion properties. A corroded screw is much weaker, as well as much more difficult to remove.

Our stainless screws will not corrode, and with a dab of anti-seize for good measure, will easily last the life of the car.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quality impact driver with a proper fitting quality bit will always get them out.
Ya. The impact screwdriver (you just whack it with a hammer for those that don't know) is one of the most surprisingly useful tool purchases I have made. I think mine was like $8 at HFT, no issues after years of hard use.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Do these screws have a purpose other than to keep the rotor from rattling around when the wheel is off?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoggel
Do these screws have a purpose other than to keep the rotor from rattling around when the wheel is off?
Nope, which means they don't have to be tightened to a kazillion Nm.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
I have found that the shearing and stripping attributed to factory screws has less to do with the strength of the material, and more to do with its corrosion properties. A corroded screw is much weaker, as well as much more difficult to remove.

Our stainless screws will not corrode, and with a dab of anti-seize for good measure, will easily last the life of the car.
Cool, thanks! Cheap enough to try them out. Will place an order soon.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't trust ECS and would never install a non-OEM part from ECS.

Obviously a rotor screw is not a critical component, but ECS is famous for selling poor quality made-in-China brake and suspension parts to the Audi/VW community.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
I don't trust ECS and would never install a non-OEM part from ECS.

Obviously a rotor screw is not a critical component, but ECS is famous for selling poor quality made-in-China brake and suspension parts to the Audi/VW community.
Thanks. I also received a PM from another member regarding the screws.

FWIW, a quick Google search revealed this: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...ro_Car_Service
Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
The OE rotors have a two extra threaded holes that, if the rotor is sticking (because of corrosion) to the wheel hub, you can screw these into which will push the rotor off the wheel hub.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I also received a PM from another member regarding the screws.

FWIW, a quick Google search revealed this: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...ro_Car_Service
Found another one that contradicts the first link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ustomer-Review

The 964 guys determined that shipping for four screws is over $11.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...crews-out.html
Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Default Stainless Steel

Stainless steel fasteners have their place, but they can also be a real headache.

I have a large selection of stainless steel fasteners but I'm very careful as to where they get used.

I myself never use a SS fastener into an aluminium casting (valve cover fasteners, for example), even if an anti-seize is used. You can takes your chances if you wish.

I do not mind using stainless steel fasteners in a bolt-nut configuration where if they seize/gall, I can snap them and reinstall another. Try using a SS nylock nut and a SS bolt without an anti-seize; half the time they locked solid.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using a SS nylock nut and a SS bolt without an anti-seize; half the time they locked solid.
Uhh, yeah. Not knowing what I should look out for, I've avoided stainless fasteners at all costs other than small, low-stress fasteners after having a nut/bolt gall and essentially fuse together at a very inopportune time (without the tools to cut).

That being said, in areas where I'd really like to use stainless fasteners, what should one look for? Specific grades? Manufactured in certain locations?