Sponsored by:

Just one of 337

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
One of 29 US Sport models, different from the small handful of ROW Sport models in having a rollcage (leather padded), power windows (the cage would block the manual window winders of the ROW Sport), cutouts for the 4-point harness in the sport seats, and fixed height suspension with regular shocks (ROW Sports were also fixed height but retained the adjustable shocks of the Comfort model). Porsche tried to import them as "race cars" in 1988 and failed. Cars were returned to Europe and sold. There was a story in Autoweek at the time that featured several pictures of the batch of 29 in a fenced compound Stateside.
I know of one 959S (sport) that lives in Carmel. It's guardian is a personal friend of Canepa's. This guy figured it out on his own how to get it imported.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I know of one 959S (sport) that lives in Carmel. It's guardian is a personal friend of Canepa's. This guy figured it out on his own how to get it imported.
Otis Chandler's? I believe his was the first legal car in the US (show & display).
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM
FastCarNut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmat
Here's a car that I saw at a C&C in Lake Mills, WI in 2011. It was gone before I had a chance to talk to the owner but apparently he had it for a while in Germany and had recently brought it over.

Very cool. That is a picture of my car. Here is something I posted on the Pelicanparts forum back in the summer of 2011 about importing it into the US:

It is well over a year ago that I first read an article about the fact that the 959 is now over 21 years old and no longer subject to EPA regulations (Coming to America in the Porsche 959). It was this story that inspired me to start looking for a 959 in Europe to import into the US. I wanted to buy a car that was completely original, not just when it comes to engine, gearbox and paint, but also steering wheel, radio, upholstery and –nearly- everything else. Most of the 959s in the US have been modified in varying ways and so my focus was across ‘the pond’.

After a little research I learned that there are basically two sets of rules that govern the importation of any car into the US; the EPA rules and DOT rules. The EPA rules are null and void for the 959s build in 1987 and 1988 that are now over 21 years old. The DOT rules are in full effect until a car reaches 25 years of age but, for a woefully small number of cars (see list (Pdf)), can be nullified via the “Show or Display” law. A car that is imported under the “Show or Display” law can only be driven 2500 miles per year on American roads (How To Import A Motor Vehicle For Show Or Display).

I further learned that the one in charge of the importation of “Motor Scooters and Unconventional Vehicles” at the “Import and Certification Division” of the “National Highway Traffic Safety Administration” is a gentleman by the name of Dick Merritt ((202) 366-5300, dick.merritt@dot.gov). It was difficult but not impossible to get him on the phone. Mr. Merritt turned out to be a real car nut who has been around for a long time. I talked to him a few times and after I told him about my plan to buy and import a 959 -and convinced him that I was serious about it- he had a quite few interesting stories about efforts Porsche as well as privateers have made over the years to get 959s into the US.

From the point of view of an American 959 buyer there is a bit of a ‘chicken-and-egg’ type question. It is not possible to apply for a ‘Show or Display’ exception without a signed and dated bill of sale but to sign such a document without the exception in hand is a bit of a gamble. My desire to live through Gates’ experience of having a 959 sitting in a government warehouse somewhere was extremely limited. I was told that a ‘Show or Display’ exception would not be a problem as long as the car in question was ‘original’, i.e. had an unmodified drive train.

All parts for these cars, if they are available (a big if), are eye-wateringly expensive and an advanced engineering degree is required to be able to do anything more involved than filling up the tank. A thorough, meticulous and comprehensive pre-purchase inspection is of key importance. It was not practical for me to fly over to Europe to look at 959s for sale as my colleagues more or less expect me to show up for work. I also do not have the expertise or experience to be able to tell a good one from a lesser one so it was important to find someone who could go and inspect 959s for sale on my behalf. I would be more than happy to share my experiences and contacts with anybody who is interested.

In April/May/June of 2010 I had 4 different 959s inspected; all 4 were rejected on various grounds. Number 5 was different; it had a history of service at the factory in Stuttgart, was all original, came through the PPI unscathed and was in my favorite color combo of black-on-black, Darth Vader style. I interpreted some low for the Euro vs. the dollar as a sign and bought the car.

Dick Merritt made good on his promise to get me the Show or Display exception after I emailed him a scan of the Bill of Sale and the foreign registration documents for the car. I my case this was a British ‘V5’ document. It is very important to make sure that the name on the foreign registration document and the name of the seller on the Bill of Sale is one and the same. Cars are sometimes sold on ‘Bill of Sale’ only in Europe, to avoid onerous taxation. This practice and the resulting mismatched paperwork, will make it difficult to register the car in the US.

When shipping a car from Europe to the US I highly recommend using a company specialized in these matters. There are quite a few different government agencies involved and they all come with their own set of forms and documents that need to be signed, stamped and processed in some seemingly random and yet very particular order. Anyone like me, unable to be able to deal with stupid paperwork, should go with a professional importer. I like Jeff Lunk at Fast Forwarding USA. Jeff imported cars for me before and knows the system inside out. I tend to go a little batty with a car in transit and Jeff has the patience necessary to deal with my irrational behavior.

The only snag in the importation proceedings came when the Department of Homeland Security wanted proof that the car was indeed ‘original’. I am not sure why Homeland Security requested this proof but it seems clear that they read up on the Show or Display law that has language limiting the exception under the law to ‘original’ cars only. Fortunately, I ordered the ‘Certificate of Authenticity’ from Porsche as soon as the deal to buy the car was struck and I had this document in hand by the time the government asked for their proof.

At the end of summer 2010, about four months after buying the car, in Jeff’s warehouse, I took delivery of my very own 959. The car fired right up and I decided to drive it home, against my better judgment, fully insured but without the benefit of a license plate. I came up behind a police cruiser on my way. Never in the history of mankind has a 959 been driven as slowly and as methodically as I drove it behind that cruiser. It was not the happiest motoring experience I ever had.

Next step in the process was to obtain proper registration and plates in Illinois, my home state. With all documents, including the “Show or Display” exception in hand, I optimistically went to my local DMV and was basically told to “leave and not come back” by one of the many people there. I carefully made copies and then put all my documents in an envelope, including a letter detailing the significance of the “Show or Display” exception certificate and send this package off to Springfield, Illinois’ capital. After a little over 6 weeks I received a copy of a copy of a copy of a form letter. In this form letter it was explained to me that I had to take my car to an unspecified location and/or facility where the vehicle had to be tested for EPA and DOT compliance. I decided to take a day off from work, take all documents and a print of the complete text of the “Show or Display” law and drive up to Springfield myself. My plan was to wander the halls of the appropriate government building until I would find someone who would give me registration and plates. The plan worked.

At this point, spring 2011 was not far off and I wanted the 959 to be ready to hit the roads as soon as the salt, snow and ice would disappear. I had the car flat bedded to my local Porsche dealership where I hoped that a trusted, seasoned, old-style 911 mechanic with the complete eBay-sourced English language workshop manual in hand, would be able to service the car. I needed a relay for the ABS system that died in the process of charging the battery (so I believe) and a seal for a leaky clutch master cylinder. The parts were located (with some problems), I had a new carpet made for the luggage area under the hood and had a wavy front bumper cover straightened. New tires were bought (Tire Rack) and the brake pads and rotors were replaced.

I was by now driving the car, the engine is very strong and the pickup of speed is truly amazing. In corners I found the handling somewhat sub par due to something that can best be described as “bounciness” in the suspension. After a little research the decision was made to replace the Accumulators. The importance and function of these parts were discussed here before. 959 accumulators are available from Porsche, not cheap but I knew that parts are expensive going in. The parts themselves looked brand new, not like NOS parts that are over 20 years old but like something manufactured recently. There are some dates on the labels on the –fresh looking- boxes they came in but I am unsure about the significance of these dates. The replaced accumulators totally transformed the handling and enjoyment of the car.

I have driven my 959 about 1000 kilometers now and every single one of these kilometers was a joy, even the ones behind the cruiser. I drove it to a small cars and coffee gathering up in Wisconsin a few weeks ago. The trip is a little over 100 miles each way. I am alway careful to avoid highways. When it comes to driving pleasure, I will put some of these Wisconsin back roads up against anything you find elsewhere. A 959 just about triples the fun.

I hope to put many, many more miles (kilometers) on the odometer in the future. There is a tremendous sense of occasion every time I turn the key. The styling is of the ‘love-it-or-hate-it’ variety. I am squarely in the ‘love-it’ camp. The 959 is also one of those cars that look much better in real life than in pictures. I am a terrible photographer but I will post some pictures anyway.

That was back in 2011, I am still enjoying the 959 in fact, I had it out last weekend (in December! in Illinois!). Wonderful car. To quote Ferris: "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up"
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
FastCarNut
Advanced

My attachments didn't make it. Let's try again.
Attached Images      
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM
cmat
Racer

That's an amazing story and car. Thanks for filling us in on the details of your journey. Was Jurgen from 2Shores involved?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. FastCarNut...

^that^ is likely the coolest car-forum post I've yet read on the intarwebz - thanks for sharing your story / experience

damn, just damn

good for you for doing it, sharing it, and ENJOYING IT - not just parking it, museumlike

oh and - Bruce Canepa "estimates he has done 100,000 miles in various examples of the 959"???

um er uhhhhhhhh - wow - incredular.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Mr FastCarNut

I'd elevate this as one the most interesting posts i've read this year !!!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCarNut
I wanted to buy a car that was completely original, not just when it comes to engine, gearbox and paint, but also steering wheel, radio, upholstery and –nearly- everything else. Most of the 959s in the US have been modified in varying ways and so my focus was across ‘the pond’.
I can appreciate that. I don't care much for the 930S steering wheel conversions I've seen. They just look out of place.
Great avatar too!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
They do have shaved rain gutters. i love the silver with black wheels.
How are you going to open your doors without rain gutters? Oh yes I forgot when you drive one of these it never actually rains on your car, kinda' like Doris Day in the Hertz Rent-A-Car scene in the movie "Good Neighbor Sam" (1964)!!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts

FastCarNut, you have truly wonderful taste in cars. 959, 964 Turbo 3.6, 997 GT2RS, M1, 356........WOW!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this one last month at my local dealer on my way up to visit the P's. I know who the car belongs to. For privacy's sake let's call the owner Michael J. No wait that's too obvious, let's call him M. Jordan. (simpsons play) That makes at least two in the Chicago suburbs.
Attached Images    
Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 PM
993 770
Pro

North Carolina plates? In Chicago? Not sure who your referring to!

Beautiful car!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 PM
993C4RS
Instructor

Our guide told us those yellow 'tabs' you see on either side of the engine are the 'dipsticks' for measuring engine oil and suspension oil levels ....
[/quote]

Nah, the yellow tab on the left is a lever to open the left side filler door, which is for the ride height control. The right side opens the filler door for the oil tank. The round one on the (aluminum) bonnet is for fuel and the lever is in the same location as the 911. The 959S did not have the ride height adjustment, so no yellow lever. So I guess it's kinda right though, but the dipsticks are in the filler doors.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Quite a difference in ride heights between the silver and black one.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4RS
Nah, the yellow tab on the left is a lever to open the left side filler door, which is for the ride height control. The right side opens the filler door for the oil tank. So I guess it's kinda right though, but the dipsticks are in the filler doors.
I'm not surprised I didn't remember it correctly .. we were both fairly stunned to be given permission to just open doors and lids and poke around .. I'm surprised I heard him say anything!

Quick Reply: Just one of 337