What's your age?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nwong01
Ken (and everyone),

Agreed that a true enthusiast should get one as soon as financially solvent, but how did you guys weigh this (purchase of a 993) against other considerations in life, say flat / marriage / kids etc.? Just wondering how did you guys go through the thinking process and decide to get it and say a 993 should be prioritized?
Who said it is a priority? Seems like a residence takes priority, and a few other things. I was told I could get a GT3 when we paid the house off a few years ago, but I bought a 993. Early retirement is starting to be my priority.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 PM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apologies for the poor choice of words but would u guys think it's a bit premature to buy one ahead of residence? Not saying that I am going to have nowhere to live, renting a place is always an option but would I be a fool to own one ahead of buying a flat? Sorry just going through a mental struggle...
Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nwong01 - I understand where you are coming from particularly as flats aren't cheap in Hong Kong nor are 993's (relatively speaking at US50k+ just for a decent c2 tip). I personally would not be comfortable having a 993 ahead of sorting out a place of my own. That said, if you were going to go out and buy a car anyway why not go the 993 route which has held it's value for the last few years.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed that a true enthusiast should get one as soon as financially solvent, but how did you guys weigh this (purchase of a 993) against other considerations in life, say flat / marriage / kids etc.? Just wondering how did you guys go through the thinking process and decide to get it and say a 993 should be prioritized?

It's a lot harder for your wife to veto a purchase like that if you're not married yet. My older sister's advice to me as I paced around the dealership parking lot contemplating: "Your future wife can't say no if it's already bought and paid for.."

Also, you can always sell it later if you need to for whatever reason (down payment, divorce attorney, et al). If you make a smart buy, and can resist the slippery slope of pouring money in modifications, the losses could/should be lower than you might think. The biggest thing is being patient getting the right car in the first place.

Final words of wisdom: you can live in your car, but you can't drive a house.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:29 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisB
Back in the early 80's, I was hitch-hiking around the Pellopenes area of Greece and met this German guy who was living in a Cave with a black 930 parked out in front ... he looked happy.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a lot harder for your wife to veto a purchase like that if you're not married yet. My older sister's advice to me as I paced around the dealership parking lot contemplating: "Your future wife can't say no if it's already bought and paid for.."

Also, you can always sell it later if you need to for whatever reason (down payment, divorce attorney, et al). If you make a smart buy, and can resist the slippery slope of pouring money in modifications, the losses could/should be lower than you might think. The biggest thing is being patient getting the right car in the first place.

Wise words. Food for thought indeed!

Actually just got engaged wedding scheduled to be held before end of next year. I got her to check out 993s with me together (and also 964s at the initial stage) and hence have made her like 993 flats in hk as said by Alan are considerably expensive and hence we won't rule out the option of renting one. Got a golf GTi already and a 993 will be a dream come true as a car that I will consider keeping on long term basis.

Hence the issue of when is the good age to own a 993 is indeed a mix of various considerations. Sorry to make this sound a bit burdensome and for being off topic if any of u think so. Happy to start a separate thread or feel free to shoot me with PMs.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

If you...can resist the slippery slope of pouring money in modifications, the losses could/should be lower than you might think.
Might as well never step foot into this forum again.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

These days, your 993 might appreciate faster than the real estate market!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Might as well never step foot into this forum again.

Heh..you can say that again.

"Lead me not into temptation; I can find it on my own."
Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The AARP onslaught has started...Rob Yasek
Up here, it's called CARP.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ken (and everyone),

I see this has been discussed since you first posted, but here's my scenario:

First, life is wholly different than 30+ years ago. Seems like a $5K car when you're making $5-6/hr. (more with car work I could hustle) as a teen was more affordable than even a $25K 993 now when a typical entry-level professional is making $50-60K. (Those of you blessed to be into six-figures in your 20's, well you should appreciate it.)

Second, though I became enamored with the 911 only about five years earlier with the IROC series, and shortly after that the introduction of the 930, it was a high school teacher of mine who had a 356 T5 Super 90 Roadster that got me up close with Porsches. And mainly in the form of the PCA magazines he brought to class that showed all the track activities going on with Porsches. And that's what I wanted to do. (Just think how my life could have turned out if he was into Corvettes. Though the first guy I worked for when I was about 14 had a 427 4 speed Stingray, so I got to parking lot drive it and had a reference point.)

Once I'd identified a ~$5K 911 as something that would be fast enough on track, I found probably the best car imaginable relative to the beyond POS crap I'd soon be working on for customers. Oh, except the engine was literally mystery parts. So it broke. I didn't necessary want to be into rebuilding a 911 engine as my first one, but I did. Then that got me a job as a mechanic when I was going to college. And since I was being paid an hourly equivalent (but on pure commission) of over $20/hr., the $$$$ added up fast. Especially when you're living at home. That's how that first car morphed into a 2.7RS engined, IROC/RSR/930 widebody. That's why I say I did my undergrad in 911 while I was doing my college undergrad. And honestly, I probably could have blown the wad on a '73RS circa 1982. I almost bought a 246 Dino, but knew it would just be a "neat" car and not something I could use on track.

So I guess I could have saved it all, or put it down on a house when I was 21. But I never had a girlfriend until after I got out of college. (I'm flat out amazed how many women my age CLAIM to have always been interested in cars when they were younger, yet I never met any. In any case, I pretty much spent every weekend at the track working or crewing, and finally driving.) Just me and cars/track, and while I regret not pushing for more time in open wheelers when I had a sniff of an opportunity, it's all worked out pretty well.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 PM
rutz36
Advanced

76! Still hauling ***!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 436 Posts

I'm 18. Bought my first Porsche, the blue 95 I still own, 6 years ago. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rutz36
76! Still hauling ***!
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

I'm 50, I'll be 51 in December. Bought my '85 when was 38. I was into water and air cooled VW's before that. Now it's air cooled Porsche and water cooled Audi. All in the family (kind of).
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

24 and dyslexic!

Quick Reply: What's your age?