993 Forum 1995-1998

Blow out on the Long Island Expressway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blow out on the Long Island Expressway

So, last Saturday morning, I’m skootching along the LIE, eastbound, on my way to Brookhaven. Traffic was ‘moderate’ but moving along at a reasonable clip (70+). I spotted several State troopers and Suffolk Co. PD “smokies” ummm, busy nailing SUV’s zipping along in the HOV lane – on this the last day of the month – ummm, <flame suit on>filling their quotas?<flame suit off>.

As I’m motoring along, radio off, windows and sunroof open (it was a glorious morning!), I felt the car develop a sudden albeit slight pull to the left. I corrected but there again she ‘wanted’ to go left. Did I hit anything? - not that I could see. I looked in my rear-view and …hmmmm, was that smoke?

At the same time, some guy in a white Camry pulled alongside and motioned to my rear right and drew his finger across his throat.

“Aaaaaaw, geeez!” The penny dropped! (And, by now the smell of burning rubber was starting to make its presence known in the cabin.)

I waved/thanked him then slowly pulled over on the left side of the highway and got out.

Yup, the rear right tire was toast! (rim was OK, though.)

I removed the inflatable donut, set about inflating it (with air-pump plugged into the cigarette-lighter socket (and yes, I kept the engine running so as not to kill the battery)) and made some phone-calls. (Janet first! (of course!), apologies to Reza and heads-up to Chris).

As I contemplated using my scissors-jack to prop her up and do the ‘wheel switcheroo’ – I bent down and felt the blacktop. Hmmmm! …because of the sun beating down on it all morning -- it was quite ‘soft’.

I said to myself, “What’s the chance of me successfully lifting the car and in the act of doing the switch – the soft ‘ground’ gives way under the jack and I end up doing some undercarriage damage (or losing a finger or two!)…” (Not to mention having some dufus ‘drifting’ in his lane and taking me out!)

Hmmmmm!

So I bagged THAT idea (no matter how tempting!) – (remember, we’re guys and we tend to have a ‘I can rely on myself and I can DO this’ attitude!) – and got on the phone, instead, to AAA. Credentials and location ‘information’, having been conveyed, I waited for ‘assistance’.

Heck! …whilst I’m here – let’s take a few pix! (See attached).

Not long after a (local) truck showed up (with a nice big 3 ton hydraulic jack) and in no time, donut on right-rear, I did a U-turn and headed the 50 odd miles back home.

As you might imagine, a Michelin Pilot Sport N2 255/40/17 low profile tire isn’t held in ‘general stock’ at MAVIS, so I knew my weekend was a gonner and all I could do was place an order for one.

Back home safe, p-car tucked back into the garage, new tire on order …what to do?

Janet took out the honey-do list! Several braches needed to be snipped and when THAT was done – hmmm, let’s take the opportunity to bleed the brakes on the Ford Contour.

As I dragged out my own Sears jack, out the garage, I looked down at it, grinned then muttered: “I could have used YOU a while ago!”

:-O

G.
Attached Images     
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad that you got yourself and your car home safely. In seeing the pics, I would have backed up a bit and gotten off the shoulder onto that road that crosses the median. Next time!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the date on that rear tire? Glad you found a safe resolve...
Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow - of all places for this to happen - on the LIE.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
Thanx.
Yeah, when I was waiting I spotted the 'connector' between the eastbound and westbound. I DID think to back up and plonk myself there, but the smokies routinely use such strips to 'pull a U-ey' and as it turned out the tow-truck came from further out west and used it to then come east to me! I didn't want to incur the ire of the smokies seeing as it was the END of the month n'all.
All four tires are only 6 years old - brand new - all 4 changed at the same time. When I bring the junk to MAVIS tomorrow I'll ask the guy to 'investigate' and see if there's something stuck in there that I picked up on the highway. My own examination shows a suspicious chunk of glass - in the thread - but I can't see 'inside' to see if it actually penetrated ALL the way in. As said, will know tomorrow.
G.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I don't think you are supposed to use the donut on the rear. I believe the manual suggests putting the front tire on the rear, and the donut up front.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry but glad it worked out without too much damage or hassle.

I have luckily not had to deal with one in the 993, but it brings up a question that maybe you can answer having driven on it.

The owners manual tells you in the event of a flat rear to use the spare on the front and move a front to the rear, which makes sense because of the weight distribution etc, but if I didn't need to go far I would proabably not bother. The question is, how did it drive with the donut on the rear? Obviously you made it but just wondering if it was borderline undriveable or not too bad.

see edit line below

Last edited by rsr91128; 07-02-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: EDIT, took forever for post to show up, rennlist is really slooowww, and quad has already pointed out the spare on the front
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Gotta say, the donut 'performed' flawlessly on the rear.

I drove at 55 on the far right so as not to pi$$ off anybody. (I've seen - in my time - many donut-dufus's in the PASSING lane doing 80+!). Really?

At 55, the rear was a little 'twitchy' if I had to change lanes, but so long as I was 'slow and deliberate' there was absolutely no 'malice'.

Translation: I drove like a granny (and it performed flawlessly).
Total distance: 53 miles on the LIE and Jericho Turnpike and local streets.

Having done it ...I'd have NO qualms about doing it again. I've broken my donut-cherry and have nothing bad to report. Others should feel the same, IMHO.

G.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

this has me thinking, is there a point where the donut needs to be replaced due to age?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi,
All four tires are only 6 years old - brand new - all 4 changed at the same time. When I bring the junk to MAVIS tomorrow I'll ask the guy to 'investigate' and see if there's something stuck in there that I picked up on the highway. My own examination shows a suspicious chunk of glass - in the thread - but I can't see 'inside' to see if it actually penetrated ALL the way in. As said, will know tomorrow.
G.
6 years is the recommended shelf life of modern radial tires...I think your going to have to open the old wallet up!

Glad it all worked out OK without any body damage
Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Good point. Do we -- should we -- just think of the donut as a 'use once throw away' type of tire.
Hmmmm.
Must admit, after getting me back home - it still looks fine and dandy.
As long as it deflates back into its original shape ...I'd be inclined to clean it up a bit and put it right back where I got it ...for next time.
It got me out of a bind ...I have 'confidence' in it (now) - having had to use it in REAL-world conditions.
G.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't think you are supposed to use the donut on the rear. I believe the manual suggests putting the front tire on the rear, and the donut up front.
Correct. And max speed is 50 MPH. It will deflate perfectly.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

The donuts are harder to come by now. I think it should be fine to deflate it and put it back (I know I have).

Nice that there wasn't any damage to the rim!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
The donuts are harder to come by now.
Yep...There was an article addressing this issue in Excellence or Panorama not long ago.

If I recall correctly, it indicated that Porsche either is no longer or soon will cease providing spares in any of their cars. It seems to be part of a broader trend of manufacturers moving away from putting spares in cars at all.

I think it also addressed a "shelf life" issue with the mini-spares in that there seems to be no real knowledge of how long they can sit in a stored state before they become dangerous to use.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM
TriTom
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - But.....to what pressure does one inflate the donut spare? And, do just by hand drop down that pressure to the pressure it usually has, quietly waiting in the front 'truck' area for you to ****** her out on a mission? ;-) Guess I need to re-read the O-manual!

Quick Reply: Blow out on the Long Island Expressway