993 Forum 1995-1998

Blow out on the Long Island Expressway

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 657 Likes on 319 Posts

Pictures and the story reminds me of all the miles and hours I did in my life on the LIE. In my youth I used to be responsible for gas stations from Uniondale out to East Hampton on the south fork and Matituck on the north shore. Moved to Florida in the late 80s but still go back to visit and travel that great parking lot the LIE
Rich
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a blowout last Thursday night (technically Friday morning) on I-75N in Atlanta. Dark as pitch where I came to a stop. I actually called the APD to shine their lights on me so I could see what I was doing - first time that I was glad to see flashing blue lights behind my car!

Inflation pressure on the spare is stamped on the tire. I think.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd replace both rears, or all 4 due to age, as noted above. What's to say another won't go?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...the soft ground gives way under the jack...g_murray
Just a few weeks ago, I put an 8 x 8 piece of plywood in the trunk of each of our cars, for jack supports.

Thanks for posting. It's good to know that these doughnuts work.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Wait -you own a ford contour that runs?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TriTom
Yes - But.....to what pressure does one inflate the donut spare? Guess I need to re-read the O-manual!
36 PSI.

Most of the info starts on page #121.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE!

Originally Posted by 177mph
Wait -you own a ford contour that runs?
Hiya fellas,
Update!
Got a new RR installed at MAVIS yesterday ($300). I asked that the guy NOT 'mess up' the rim AND that they put the balance weights INSIDE the wheel area - to which they complied and the techie was duly rewarded ($$$).
I asked to look inside the tire so as to see what caused the flat - they said "sure". On the outside there was a suspicious chunk of glass deep into the thread. When I took a look inside - yep - it had penetrated all the way thru'. It had the properties of 'windshield glass' (no doubt from a previous accident in a galaxy far far away...) -- that happened to have my name on it that sorry morning.
As of yesterday the 'blue bomber' is all back to normal and yep the donut deflated right smack dab back into its original shape. I WILL go about getting an 8X8 piece of wood (for both cars) - thanx for THAT advice.
Hi STIG! --- Speaking of cars... yep, the daily-driver is a 1997, Fraud Contour SE (DOHC V6) with 120,000 miles. Over the last 15 yrs, I've replaced (as well as regular 'tune-up stuff') two front windshields, tires (of course!), an alternator, a fuel-pump, an fan-blower switch and a front CV boot. There's no rust on the thing and I get 23-25 mpg on 'regular'... AND I *don't* have a CEL light on either! The friggin' thing runs like a champ! (Yeah, I know, go figure.) I guess we got a 'Wednesday car'.
Today, as I type this, it's July 4th. -- so happy 4th. of July to y'all !
Gerry
Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
6 years is the recommended shelf life of modern radial tires...I think your going to have to open the old wallet up!

Glad it all worked out OK without any body damage
For some reason I thought it was 7 yrs. Can somone confirm one way or the other?

Originally Posted by TMc993
Yep...There was an article addressing this issue in Excellence or Panorama not long ago.

If I recall correctly, it indicated that Porsche either is no longer or soon will cease providing spares in any of their cars. It seems to be part of a broader trend of manufacturers moving away from putting spares in cars at all.

I think it also addressed a "shelf life" issue with the mini-spares in that there seems to be no real knowledge of how long they can sit in a stored state before they become dangerous to use.
BMW hasn't provided any form of spare for several years, they rely on the "run flats" to actually work. I hate those damn things.

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I had a blowout last Thursday night (technically Friday morning) on I-75N in Atlanta. Dark as pitch where I came to a stop. I actually called the APD to shine their lights on me so I could see what I was doing - first time that I was glad to see flashing blue lights behind my car!

Inflation pressure on the spare is stamped on the tire. I think.
Glad to hear you're safe after that!

Originally Posted by Rinty
Just a few weeks ago, I put an 8 x 8 piece of plywood in the trunk of each of our cars, for jack supports.

Thanks for posting. It's good to know that these doughnuts work.
Great idea, thanks!

Personally I would have put the inflatable on the front and the front on the rear but that's just me.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad to hear you are safe. Call me a sissy, but I NEVER stop on a freeway shoulder unless the car is disabled. With a flat, the tire is ruined anyway, and if a short drive to a place of safety ruins a wheel, so be it. I my previous life I saw too many people who paid a high price for stopping where high-speed traffic was whizzing by. Just saying...now I'll get down off my soap box.

Quick Reply: Blow out on the Long Island Expressway