Sponsored by:

The wifes first drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The wifes first drive

She finally drove it. Only took her two and a half months. We went out for breakfast and on our way home she mentioned she was thinking of driving it home. So I found a big parking lot where she could get comfortable before hitting the road. She did great. Even with the seat all the way forward she had to scoot forward on the seat to push the clutch all the way in. She didnt get too far into the throttle I THINK she might have hit 3500rpms. I dont know how she cant want to run it up higher. I cant help it. I LOVE it at high rpms.

She didnt stall it once. She said the clutch was stiff but otherwise it was ok to drive. She is not a car person, she prefers horses that have four legs rather than four wheels.

Anyway, this was a major step for her. The first two weeks she wouldnt acknowledge its prescence. After that, she admitted it was there and pretty but didnt want to be seen driving around in it. Then she was ok driving around in it. Now she has adjusted to taking it out to eat, to the farm etc. and even driving it.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
She finally drove it. Only took her two and a half months. We went out for breakfast and on our way home she mentioned she was thinking of driving it home. So I found a big parking lot where she could get comfortable before hitting the road. She did great. Even with the seat all the way forward she had to scoot forward on the seat to push the clutch all the way in. She didnt get too far into the throttle I THINK she might have hit 3500rpms. I dont know how she cant want to run it up higher. I cant help it. I LOVE it at high rpms.

She didnt stall it once. She said the clutch was stiff but otherwise it was ok to drive. She is not a car person, she prefers horses that have four legs rather than four wheels.

Anyway, this was a major step for her. The first two weeks she wouldnt acknowledge its prescence. After that, she admitted it was there and pretty but didnt want to be seen driving around in it. Then she was ok driving around in it. Now she has adjusted to taking it out to eat, to the farm etc. and even driving it.
Its funny,my wife has been in the car exactly twice since I got it 2 months ago. She doesnt know how to drive a manual,although I said Id teach her. My neighbor is taking delivery of a new Boxster in a month or so and our wives are good friends. She drives stick and Im hoping she inspires the wife to want to learn. I can see me and my neighbor,who both waited years to fulfill our P-car dream,sitting on the porch watching the wives zip by in our news toys!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I 'ambushed' my wife a few times early on. She would ask if I wanted to go somewhere with her. I said sure. We get to the garage and I walk towards the 993. Shes getting used to it. She is very capable of driving a stick, she used to take my Mazda (she liked it because it was zippy) every once in awhile. She did say she was worried I would be upset if she ground the gears in the Porsche. I said not a problem, grind away. I want to re-gear it anyway!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife doesn't drive a stick and has no interest in learning ... she was very interested in a PDK 997, though. I'm quite happy with a 6 speed.

My ex-wife, however, while we were married, learned to drive a stick back in 97. But not very well. In fact, she was a bit terrifying. Not long after she learned, I bought a perfect grand prix white 1988 3.2 Carrera with 23k miles on it. First thing I did was take it to Frank Eibell in Clearwater FL and had him put a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump under the driver's seat. Every so often, I would come home from work and she would say that she was going to take the 911 to the beach that day with her girlfriend, but couldn't get it started. I would always say, "Must be the fuel pump again, I'll have to talk to Frank."

Last edited by vjd3; 06-25-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

my wife drove mine the second day of ownership...I brought it home the Friday of Memorial Day weekend 2010, she drove it that Saturday-we had a family party on Sunday and wanted to drive the car there. I planned on drinking, so she was the DD.

She is a notorious short shifter, drives me nuts. Every vehicle she has ever owned sans one-a 2009 Mazda CX-7 that lasted just over 2 years here, has been a stick. After convincing her to get the revs up, she looked over at me and simply said "yea, we can take this"

After I put the Stage lll's on, she has had little interest in driving it. The few times we have gone places with it, and I've decided to have a drink...she has driven home. She really doesn't like the loud exhaust, doesn't mind the ride really. I do have a long history of making everything I drive loud, low and rough.

She gets her thrills with her 2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4-6 speed. It rides pretty much like the C4S with the performance run flats on it.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Normal behaviour when a spouse sees a rival for your affections...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

We traded the cab for the c4s in part because my wife didn't like the blind spots in the cab and thus would not drive it. Not that I let her have the car that often, since it is my daily driver...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

My ex-wife, however, while we were married, learned to drive a stick back in 97. But not very well. In fact, she was a bit terrifying. Not long after she learned, I bought a perfect grand prix white 1988 3.2 Carrera with 23k miles on it. First thing I did was take it to Frank Eibell in Clearwater FL and had him put a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump under the driver's seat. Every so often, I would come home from work and she would say that she was going to take the 911 to the beach that day with her girlfriend, but couldn't get it started. I would always say, "Must be the fuel pump again, I'll have to talk to Frank."

That is awesome!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

After the first week (when I was constantly under the car) she referred to it as my mistress. I actually got a text one night asking when I was coming to bed. It wasnt even that late! Only like 11:00.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,084 Posts

All any man needs to do is give their Porsche to their significant other and instantly it is no longer the "other woman". Any reservations about driving it are gone!
In fact my wife even appreciates when I engage in car therapy servicing her car. We are on our third Porsche now.
By the way a Porsche is a family car as my experience is that my kids would rather jam themselves into the back seats of a Porsche than ride in a minivan any day of the week and my oldest was 6'2" tall as a teen. Back then his knees functioned as arm rests for the front passenger – a plus!
Never understood those guys who sold their Porshes when their wives get pregnant and the car is sold to get a Minivan (Swagger Wagon):
Andy :-)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my TT just over a year ago. We had just had our first child and it was a little bit (ok a lot) of a gift to myself. My wife drove it about a month later and loved it. I thought ok, worse case ill need a new clutch, but instead i got her pregnant again and she gets nauseous every time she get in the car. Needless to say, we take her car everywhere and I'm not complaining!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I was that kid too. I wasnt 6'2" though!

My parents were shopping for a car, dad was an American muscle car guy and we were looking at Monte Carlo SS and Camaro. The Camaro was a smaller back seat, but I was ok with that. I think I even insisted it was bigger. The Porsche is WAY smaller and I KNOW I would have insisted it was spacious!

I need to get my wife to drive it more. She'll get more confident every time. We just need to remember to bring a pillow for her to sit against!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had mine over 2 years and my wife has yet to drive it. She does know how to drive a manual. She told me she prefers to ride in it. I told her that she will have to drive part of the way on our road trip to the Porsche Parade. I'd prefer her to "learn" at home instead of on the road, but either way, it'll be interesting.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing wrong with a slow warm up.

A former GF referred to my Porsche as the ****. She called Porsche drivers Little PPs (Porsche Posers). I don't miss her.

When people ask me if my wife likes my Porsche I tell them she does but she prefers to drive her own (manual trans Boxster). Or I tell them my wife beat me at an autocross driving my car (and she did).

Just got a child seat that I will put in the Porsche. My wife is only slightly uncomfortable in the passenger seat and my son loves it.
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Wink

When I first got mine 4 years ago, my wife would take it everywhere. I started going down the slope and her usage slowed down considerably. She did not like getting in and out of the Recaros, getting a little too loud, not as smooth as it used to be, etc, etc. The final time she drove it was just after I had the lightweight flywheel installed. Pulled out of the driveway after stalling a few times, turned it right around and put it back and said "what the hell did you do to your car, its impossible to drive!" Fortunately she still likes to go on rides with me but refuses to drive it. I am ok with that, I guess....

Quick Reply: The wifes first drive