Sponsored by:

Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I didn't get to go but it was special year since we sponsored the TRG car. We should do it again.
Hey Finn

Actually it was two different years. (And a while ago, which is why it's probably a little foggy for your memory)

Here's how it all happened.

John D and Kevin Buckler had become good friends as a result of Rennlist.

In 2003 Kevin put a Rennlist logo on the nose of The Racers Group entry at Le Mans. I believe Kevin and his team drove this car to the GT victory that year.

In 2004, less than a week before the race, Kevin called John D and said he had space for a decal on the rear wing of his RSR entry that year. At this time, HWFMR was at the height of it's lunacy on Rennlist. Instead of using Rennlist again, John generously offered it to HWFMR, providing we could make a minimum payment to Kevin for the space (in order to be fair to his other sponsors).

I personally guaranteed a minimum to Kevin, and said whatever we raised would be his. We posted to our HWFMR teammates as well as anyone else who wanted a chance to sponsor a Le Mans car. The response was incredible. We actually raised almost four times what I guaranteed Kevin. Caused quite a buzz on RL, and there were a number of HWFM sponsor parties around the country and overseas. The story was picked up by Radio Le Mans. Only issue was the wing was set for high speed on the Mulsanne, so our logo was only visible from certain angles (which of course is very HWFM in itself ). The car did not podium, fittingly

We did hold back enough funds to produce a poster (below), patch and stickers for anyone who contributed to the sponsorship fund.

All in all, big fun. And all thanks to John D.

It was such a good time that we did a group trip to the Sarthe the following year in 2005, even though HWFMR wasn't sponsoring anything, except a good time As I recall we had something like 28 Rennlisters and significant others on the trip.

Somewhere I have pics from the trip, but can't find them . Probably a good thing since some of the culprits... errr individuals... are now responsible members of society. (If anyone has some pics, please post)

Great memories for all of us who made the trip.

Le Mans is an incredible experience and a bucket list item for any Porsche or Endurance Racing Fan.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for refreshing the memory, it was indeed awesome and that poster is a nice "trophy" for our efforts.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scott watkins

10 years ago wife fed 6 hour VHS tapes into the VCR for the entire race.
How technology has advanced!

Can't wait to see Porsche and Audi go at!
Now technology delivers this super slo-mo video to your computer, in hig def!

Porsche and Audi footage begins @ ~0:45; just Click below Ferrari:

Quick Reply: Le Mans