Sponsored by:

SPA FRANCORCHAMPS VIDEO - 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA FRANCORCHAMPS VIDEO - 993 C4S

Finally was able to upload a video from last month in Spa during the Porsche Days.

find it here : http://youtu.be/cH9m6gua_Ls

Running on the magical circuit of Spa Francorchamps during the PF Days 2012.
Think my stock C4S on Michelin PS semi-slicks held up pretty well against the 997's, GT3's etc.
First lap coming out of pitlane, followed by two "fast laps" , to me that is

Fastest lap 3.09 while being cheered on by an enthousiastic passenger... Lacking some power or shorter gears however, still much to be gained but hey, it's an amazing track and I had a great time !
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

NIce video! That track looks like a lot of fun! You have good use of the track and apexs....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
JGB
Instructor

Thanks for the link.

That is so on my bucket list to do.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great video. And great sound!

You take a perfect line and make good use of the full width of the track. Good job :-)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Comment pouvez-vous dire "YEE-HAR" en wallon?

What a track. Love to drive it someday.

Is it scary going through Eau Rouge?

By the way, that 968 should have let you go at the first -- you were clearly faster.

Thanks for posting
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Love it!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 57 Posts

Spa is an absolutely beautiful track, thanks for the vid!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:17 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice video. It is always interesing to see "underutilized" GT3s. The drivers should better invest in instruction than equipment ...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Is it scary going through Eau Rouge?
Well it certainly is in a high hp car. It requires ALL your attention.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Eau rouge, hardest part of the track...trying to take it faster but when going too fast... Your off and in a bad way. So each time it's, pressing your bud together and try to hold it as well as you can. It's the main reason why I want a stiffer suspension set up. Right now you can feel the car tensioning and twisting due to the g forces in combination with the height differences. Plus when coming up, I' too high in 4th to come back down, but too low and waiting for the hp to come... Shorter gears and LWF should be able to fix that.

Catching or keeping up (in the non power related parts of the track) gives the best kick, although deep inside you know that the driver just isn't getting all the potential out of his car, I guess.

Still feels good nevertheless
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pvdw
Catching or keeping up (in the non power related parts of the track) gives the best kick, although deep inside you know that the driver just isn't getting all the potential out of his car, I guess.

Still feels good nevertheless
You are correct!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK...............so that was the most worthwhile 12 minutes I've spent today!

Some observations:

1. I'm embarrassed that I have to post videos from Thunderhill most of the time. While everyone is Nurburgring this-and-that, I'd spend my bucks on some time in the Radical here no question.

2. This definitely isn't DE American Style. Even on our open sessions, we're pretty laid back on passing under hard braking and in corners. HOWEVER, given the culture seems to be that you have to earn your way past (the 968's chop, and that last white 997 drag racing you out of the Bus Stop) AND running windows up, you're really all just out there fighting for real estate. Right?

3. Loved the pace of the air cooleds. Any ideas on the blue 993? I saw he pitted the lap after he passed, so maybe he was not on a flyer most of that lap. And the white 964 in the first lap. Sad to see him dead stick at La Source right at the end of the clip.

4. Is it all in the perspective, or are the turns really that much slower than you think they are? I've driven it enough in sims; and I'd like to think if I were there belted in at pit out tomorrow in one of my cars I'd be up to speed fairly quickly. Just seems like the whole downhill from Les Combes to Stavelot is a lot slower that you think it would be.

5. Wow, is what formerly was the Bus Stop chicane tedious now.

6. Finally, how did you guys manage a dry track, let alone sun!

And a couple of specific questions--what are the terminal speeds going into Les Combes and the Chicane?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

OP - many thanks for the video link. It will be great to study when thrown up on the plasma looping, and with sunny Belgium skies no less. Your initial Eau Rouge run had me holding my breath... What a track! What an afternoon you must have had in the 993... That's live' in....

Here's a couple still pictures of Spa for little people......That's "karts",,, and not Leona Helmsley style "little people".

During the same weekend the kart's shared the track with the local Ferrari Club having their driver's education.
Attached Images    

Last edited by M. Schneider; 06-07-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 AM
pvdw
Instructor

Had another passenger with me that does some DE events on solder and he shared the same feelings, guess Spa brings out the racing DNA in all of us...
There are three groups running in seperate sessions: FUN, SPORT and RACING.
only in racing you can run on full slicks, however you can register in all three groups if you like. Blue 993 and white 964 were fully race prepped cars running in sport as well as racing.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 AM
pvdw
Instructor

Don't have Harry's lap timer (yet) so no speed data overlay available..
Here are my observed speed and data:
Eau rouge coming down from fifth to fourth, 180 entering, 165 coming out, top speed on the strait 215 to 220.
Doubble left in fourth, full throttle, max rpm coming out. Blanchimont full throttle in fifth, 195 to 200 in part one, releasing gas just a little or short braking for part two.
Seems slower on video then real life !
Did some laps with new 991S, faster but just not my cup of thea. In the 993 your working to get the most out of it, breaking a sweat. The 991, definetely GT3 fast but too steril and I don't like the PDK gear, you seem less in charge...
On Friday we had two rain sessions, running on normal PS tyres but I hadn't thought about fixing my iPhone yet...
For me, greatest weekend of the year, about a 1000 Porsches present although a lot of visitors, not all run on track, and Porsche heaven is temporarily in Belgium for a few days...

Quick Reply: SPA FRANCORCHAMPS VIDEO - 993 C4S