993 Forum 1995-1998

Max Jax arrived!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost
Hmmm, just can't get a visual on placing the Esco jack stands 'under the arm lift points'...I have Esco jack stands and they only extend to about 2'?

When the MJ is fully raised how does having a 2' jack stand sitting on the floor under the 'arm lift points' help in the event of a column tipping inwards and allowing the car to come off the 'lift points'...??

What am I missing here, besides possibly a brain, hahaha

Jim
You are correct, if you lift it too high the jack stands do nothing so I use them with lifted a couple feet. For lifting higher I plan on getting something like below for added safety.

Originally Posted by firesm
Jim, What you need is something like this:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...n-Tripod-Stand

It's a little too tall, as it's meant for a full size lift, but it would be easy to cut down to maxjax size.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm, just can't get a visual on placing the Esco jack stands 'under the arm lift points'...I have Esco jack stands and they only extend to about 2'?

When the MJ is fully raised how does having a 2' jack stand sitting on the floor under the 'arm lift points' help in the event of a column tipping inwards and allowing the car to come off the 'lift points'...??

What am I missing here, besides possibly a brain, hahaha

Jim
No, I rarely lift it the full height anymore, since I'm 6'3" and have to sit pretty low to get under the car I prefer to lay on the creeper and roll around under the car, hence it doesn't need to be up as high. This also allows me to access the engine compartment if I need to without lowering/raising the car. Each to their own, you'll decide what works best for you.

Jim, What you need is something like this:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...n-Tripod-Stand

It's a little too tall, as it's meant for a full size lift, but it would be easy to cut down to maxjax size.
They actually make a version of those that will fit under the MJ (it's shorter). Last time I saw one was on ASEDeals.com but I don't see it there now. I suspect it's still made just sold elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
wunderbar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice setup !! whats the price on the lift ??
Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 AM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
They actually make a version of those that will fit under the MJ (it's shorter). Last time I saw one was on ASEDeals.com but I don't see it there now. I suspect it's still made just sold elsewhere.
I had seen those before as well - similar to this one at Greg Smith Equipment:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-...od-Stand-SHORT

I just suggested the Princess Auto jackstand because the store is local to us, so he could just walk in and buy it. But the one at Greg Smith certainly seems more versatile.
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That be it, thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Hmmm, just can't get a visual on placing the Esco jack stands 'under the arm lift points'.
If the jacks stands are going under the lift points, then it sort of defeats the advantage of the MJ which is the open air concept that one gets when using a 2-post lift.

Periodic inspections would rule out lift failure. I'm more worried about the lift anchor points in the concrete floors of residential garages.

Also, MJ could have put put more safety-bar holes in their lift for various heights.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by IXLR8
If the jacks stands are going under the lift points, then it sort of defeats the advantage of the MJ which is the open air concept that one gets when using a 2-post lift.
The mechanics that I know use these types of jacks on their full size two post lifts whenever they will be doing something that requires a lot of leverage or the removal of something heavy, to prevent any rocking of the vehicle on the lift - on our cars one would go under the engine where people usually jack the car up from, on a normal vehicle they would put one in the engine area and the differential.

Also, MJ could have put put more safety-bar holes in their lift for various heights.
People on the Garage Journal forum have been putting their own holes in them - I find the locations for the two holes Danmar put in are fine for my purposes.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

The mechanics that I know use these types of jacks on their full size two post lifts whenever they will be doing something that requires a lot of leverage or the removal of something heavy, to prevent any rocking of the vehicle on the lift.
In that case Steve, its for another reason than for the actual lift failing.

On the center column lifts from years ago, I know they placed a tall jack stand next to the large column after one of the lifts failed in the garage I worked in. Those lifts do not have a mechanical fail-safe as far as I know...if the valve leaked, the lift would slowly come down in time.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
firesm
Pro

In that case Steve, its for another reason than for the actual lift failing.
In my experience, the people who have been crushed to death by cars falling on them probably didn't care why it happened, but would have liked to have a safety device that would have prevented it from happening - of course that's just a theory. In any event, the aforementioned jack stands seem like they'd be useful.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Gotta got to Ottawa tomorrow...Princess Auto is on the list of places to visit!

Thanks Steve,

Jim
Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, the people who have been crushed to death by cars falling on them probably didn't care why it happened, but would have liked to have a safety device that would have prevented it from happening - of course that's just a theory. In any event, the aforementioned jack stands seem like they'd be useful.
+1
These are extremely useful for a variety of jobs.
A little "insurance" is one obvious use
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 AM
NewShockerGuy
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

When you used the epoxy anchors did you put them flush with the concrete or did you push them 1/8" below the concrete? I am asking because two of my 5 anchors on each side did NOT bite into the concrete and the wejit wedge anchors say to get them 1/8" below the surface, but was wondering about the epoxy.. best to keep flush or can I also set them below a little bit?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Quick Reply: Max Jax arrived!!