Sponsored by:

Installed RS Mounts today. Impressions:

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Installed RS Mounts today. Impressions:

Those of you who have been thinking of replacing your motor mounts you should.

I have had these sitting in the garage for about 2 years and finally carved out the time to install them this morning. In total this took about 1.5 hours. It can easily be done in 1 hour if you don't stop and talk to neighbors or constantly have to remind the dog not to play in the street.

First, Driving impressions:
1. Rear end of the car is way more secure. On sweeping turns with varying road surfaces I used to feel the rear end sway and bounce around a lot. No longer with the RS Mounts. The back end is planted now and feels predictable, as it should be.
2. The clutch action is so much better. Improved clutch response from stops and a much better feel in reverse.
3. The 1-->2 Shift was feeling a little crunchy for the past few months before. That crunchy feeling is gone and the gear switch action feels much more positive.

Second, Install Notes:
1. No need to really go through the process. Jackals Raceshop and P-Car really cover the ins and outs of the install with great pictures.
2. The ONLY thing I can add it the need to jack the engine up a little more after removing the Left Hand mount to allow more spacing underneath the AC lines. This also helps with the Right Hand mount getting the mount out of the AC Compressor puzzle. Jackals site has more tips.
3. The Left Hand mount requires a little muscle and wiggling to get it out. The biggest issue with the LH mount for me was the cable 'guide tube' for the engine lid latch release.

Finally, regarding increased vibration or noise into the passenger cabin...I feel that the noise is reduced. In my case maybe my old mounts were too wasted and they were causing more vibration than originally designed to.

Overall the benefit to the shifting action, clutch engagement (so nice!) and the stability of the whole back end is a huge improvement.

Truthfully, after taking the car around and doing some spirited driving I feel like it is brand new again...and I love it.

DO IT...you will not regret it. Wevo or RS I don't think it matters.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great review, I am planning on installing RS mounts this summer when I do my 60K service
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

My guess is new stock mounts would show a significant improvement as well, after xTeen years and x,000 miles.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ed - agreed. I'm sure the stock mounts would be a huge improvement also.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

RS motor mounts and Walrod bushings going in this Friday.....excited!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
RS motor mounts and Walrod bushings going in this Friday.....excited!
Seriously, after all this time I thought you would have had those on already. You will love the improvement, as said by OP.

Great thread.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Seriously, after all this time I thought you would have had those on already. You will love the improvement, as said by OP.

Great thread.
Broken parent, travel, home projects, work, etc....life comes at you fast....all that is done so now fun time!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

^ That sounds just like my list...thankfully all my upgrades are done (I think ???????). Post your impressions when you get your bits on.

Also to the OP and any others, I found that ROW alignment (or slightly more aggressive) and hieght settings bring the RS motormounts to life...seems sharper, more nimble.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have put RS mounts in two of my cars so far, and in both cases, noticed very little impact or difference.

That could be that both sets of mounts I took out were in good shape - no leaks, appeared to be stiff, etc. Or it could be that my butt is not sensitive enough, not sure what it is, but I was disappointed.

its good to see someone found a major difference! How "wasted" were the mounts you took out?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

I think I heard you say that before, as well as others. And for some, they cant say enough good things about it. Hmmmm. For me it yeilded a huge improvement in the overall ride and handling characteristics...mine must have been shot, or maybe it was helped by the RS clutch and flywheel that were installed at the same time?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

What were your old mounts like? Leaking any fluid?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Ahhh I suppose if your motor mounts are leaking then its time to install new ones?

I'll keep these mounts in mind at my next service. Where do you buy them?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only regret that I have with installing RS engine mounts was that I did not go with Wevos...I would have been fine with more stiffness and the lower price is a bonus. Since I would not have needed to reinforce the engine carrier, there was nothing in the "cons" column. That said, I am happy with the RS mounts and think that its a no-brainer mod if you you have to replace leaking factory mounts.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
What were your old mounts like? Leaking any fluid?

They looked fine...I did not see any fluid or anything but bet they were done all the same.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

not sure why people go RS over the wevos, but glad you like them.

Quick Reply: Installed RS Mounts today. Impressions: