Sponsored by:

Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
To all the garage queen owners out there: let me spare you the mystery of what happens after you die and your relatives inherit your 993. I can absolutely assure you that they wont hold it in the reverence that you do, so they will either drive it or cash it in.

The only cars that should be garage queens are those of great historical significance whose appreciation is evident year after year. Not only is this important from an investment perspective, but also for its preservation, so future generations can learn about these cars. While the 993 is hands down the coolest 911, it is not a collectible. 65,000 were made.

Look guys, dont be afraid of getting flaws in your flawless garage queens. You'll be surprised what a liberating feeling it is to accept you car as a partner on the road without worrying if the rain is going to hit it, letting the patina form on its metal and the character it gets with every new crease in its leather.

You cant take it with you my friends, so if you don't accept and use the gifts the 993 was built for, I can absolutely assure you, without question, that the next owner will.
Originally Posted by Franklin229
I hear your point. At the same time-its not going to matter what happens to my 993 after I take the dirt nap. While I am around though, the joy of driving my car in conditions I appreciate gives me the experience I desire from my car. This would be cancelled by the uneasy feelings I would have if I drove in snow, salt and rain. To further, use as a DD for me would diminish the novelty of the car itself. Like a fine suit one might have to be appreciated on special occasions but not everyday. Just my take on the whole thing.
i have to admit both Leon and Franklin has an interesting point of view but i'm somehow between the two gentlemen:

i really enjoy the 993 feeling and i don't want to miss it for a single day. However i'm crazy about a shiny, spotless car inside and outside. I care a lot about the paint, polish, interior, leather etc. Is there a word for a daily driver queen?
But if you use your car day by day you can not avoid little damages. As a friend of mine said: "only the first scratch on the paint hurt you really, the second onevmeets you much relaxed" It is true and don't forget: the car is for you, not you for the car. You can make most of the scratches dissapier with detailing and it gives you a kind of statisfaction.

i have winter tyres for my 993 and it makes fun to drive in the winter time. Of course i don't use it during the worst conditions (ice and salt) but with a little preparation you can make it winter proof.

i would say: enjoy your 993 while you can!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Beretta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course I drive my 993 as much as I can, every day.

I even installed a child seat in the back for my 2½ year doughter.

Life is to short not enjoying it every day.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-02-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 PM
thealphabeta
Track Day

Every day driver for me...154k
Old 06-01-2012, 05:52 PM
tian647
Instructor

Might as well start with this thread for my first post here...just bought a 1995 C2 to use as my daily. I had a 901 previously but wanted something a bit more modern, like my faithful E30

I looked at garage queens for a while but then bought an honest driver with 120k miles already on her so I don't kill the residual value too badly while I rack up the next 100k miles.

After a couple weeks and my first thousand miles I'm very pleased. Now to sort relacements for tired stock suspension and a few personal preference additions to make her my car - turbo s brake ducts, mebbe RS splitters and a ducktail one of these days.

But mostly I just like driving her...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the moment i use my 993 as my DD. When in the USA i used my 77 930 as a DD but it had a 993 motor swap so i was almost driving a 993 every day. Being able to drive a 911 every day is like therapy. Can turn around the worst mood. Couldn't bear to think of my cars (the ones that arent in many pieces all over the workshop) not getting driven like they were intended, however i certainly don't say this to jab at the garage queen crew, i just dont happen to own any that are in a state, either mileage or rare model, that mean i am destroying residuals by driving.. Everytime i look at a sub 40k mile car i worry that i'll be too scared to put too many miles on it!

Quick Reply: Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD?