Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine's not a DD, but I do drive it any chance I can get!! That's why I bought it!!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ehanauer
It's a car. Cars, especially Porsches, we're made to drive. You are missing out on the essence of the marque by letting it rot in a garage.
Sorry, I don't see DD use being the essence of the marque. Good spirited - but safe - highway drives, autocrossing, and most of all, track days seems to me to be the way to get the most out of ownership.

Of course, any trip in a 911 is fun, even if it means sitting in stop-n-go. But really driving them involves apexes and g forces.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD here as I take the registration off of the winter beater for summer. It usually gets driven as soon as the snow melts and the road get cleaned and goes back to storage at the first snowfall.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
I was under the possibly mistaken impression that the purpose of owning a car is to drive it. So, I do. To work, to drop off or pick up the kids -- yes, even to the liquor store. Short drives. Long drives. It is my one and only car (the wife has her one and only car, too).

I liked the threads where folks say we shouldn't take our cars on short drives, as it is bad for the car. Well, I expect my car to be subject to wear and tear and if it is slightly more accelerated because of it's status as a daily driver, so be it. Will the motor last only 175k instead of 200k? Seriously, I change my oil so frequently short drives don't mean more wear. They mean more fun.
Yep, one and only car, driven daily 365 days a year. It's not a frigging museum piece. If you just want to look at something, buy a painting.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Back to the daily thing, and life getting in the way. Absent me hitching up a vending delivery trailer to mine, would be hard to roll out now with ~1.5K in product to fill in some gaps my drivers can't make today.

But I do have that hitch I picked up a couple of years ago and never used. Have a spare dead truck with a Hackney aluminum box, so maybe I should get working on that project? Dare anyone to top that use of a 911, any 911..........
Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
Back to the daily thing, and life getting in the way. Absent me hitching up a vending delivery trailer to mine, would be hard to roll out now with ~1.5K in product to fill in some gaps my drivers can't make today.

But I do have that hitch I picked up a couple of years ago and never used. Have a spare dead truck with a Hackney aluminum box, so maybe I should get working on that project? Dare anyone to top that use of a 911, any 911..........
Ken

That would be pretty unique.

However, your clients may think you're making too much money off them and their location, if the company delivery van is a 911!

I always thought those Polizei Porsches were interesting daily work vehicles...
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Zeichen 282
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 1996 C4 with the intention of using the car as a DD year-round. After the purchase I remembered that in the winter the problem is not so much the weather (I've driven 964s through all kinds of weather) but most drivers here in NJ that don't have the first clue how to drive, especially not in the wet or snow and ice.

Therefore I drive my 993 whenever it's dry, no matter the temperature.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got one of each.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aribop
Yep, one and only car, driven daily 365 days a year. It's not a frigging museum piece. If you just want to look at something, buy a painting.
I see you're in the Atlanta area... Have you run "the Monster" at Road Atlanta?

One of my favorite tracks. The first time down the hill... YOWZA!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
rutz36
Advanced

Since I am no longer a productive member of society and there are six Saturdays and one Sunday in my week I try to take the car out every day. In my case, I may have only a few more years to enjoy the car so just looking at it doesn't make sense. Oh yes, I have those moments when I consider the merits of being conservative with the mileage and wear and tear and then reality smacks me and I wonder who I am saving the car for. Then, I climb in and haul ***!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:27 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

I have my 993 and a 2010 F250 Powerstroke. I take turns driving them during the week. So I wouldn't call my 993 my DD, but it's close. I drive the truck more as I don't like putting Black in parking lots where idoits can ding it.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Generally so. Makes going to work more enjoyable!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rutz36
Since I am no longer a productive member of society and there are six Saturdays and one Sunday in my week I try to take the car out every day. In my case, I may have only a few more years to enjoy the car so just looking at it doesn't make sense. Oh yes, I have those moments when I consider the merits of being conservative with the mileage and wear and tear and then reality smacks me and I wonder who I am saving the car for. Then, I climb in and haul ***!
I love this reply! I ask myself that question too. I used to baby the hell out of my cars. Seat protectors. Rubber mats. Bug deflectors. Etc. I finally realized all I was doing was keeping the car nice for someone else. From that point forward, I started getting the goody out of my cars myself.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 566 Likes on 297 Posts

Our 95 cab was a daily driver for 9 years, and 198,000 miles, until we sold it to a great couple up in Canada. Drive it everywhere - that's what cars are for.

We sold it for a 04 GT3, which became our next daily driver. Have owned it 1 year and not quite 2 months now, and put 23k miles on it.

We buy Porsche's to enjoy them. They are a wonderful car to drive. If you just want to look at them all nice and pretty in your garage, take a picture, put it on the wall, and sell it to someone that will enjoy it.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Ken

That would be pretty unique.

However, your clients may think you're making too much money off them and their location, if the company delivery van is a 911!

I always thought those Polizei Porsches were interesting daily work vehicles...
Nah. I've dismissed pretty much every snide comment with some/all of the following over the past 30+ years:

It's XX years old. (I've hardly ever owned a single-digits years old 911.)

It's worth $XXXX. (A fifth X now with inflation, and I've moved to 964s and 993s.)

I own/owned Porsche shops, costs less to keep one of these running than some "Honda".

Near-zero depreciation. (Ever watch someone's head explode when you try to explain how much a generic economy car depreciates monthly?)

And finally, I can bore them with technical details about the cars so that they give up and just think I'm weird.

Quick Reply: Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD?