Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/697219-poll-who-uses-their-993-as-a-dd.html)

3healey 05-17-2012 11:54 PM

Poll: Who uses their 993 as a DD?

I drive my car every day...grocery store, post office, liquor store (sometimes twice a day :). Who else uses their 993 as a daily driver/grocery getter/school bus/etc, etc?
Just curious....

race911 05-18-2012 12:01 AM

I have off and on. But life now dictates using the truck nearly all the time.

Academictech 05-18-2012 12:05 AM

+993 for DD, I just can't use any of the other vehicles in our garage if the 993 is sitting there!

rome 05-18-2012 12:10 AM

Garage Queen

matt777 05-18-2012 01:06 AM

I drive it to work a few days a year. Garage queen I guess.

sander97C2 05-18-2012 01:06 AM

Yup dd for me. Runs great, often other commuters like to give the official thumbs up:cool:

Gt3 Racer RS 05-18-2012 01:07 AM

Garage Queen, hasn't moved for a while!

Flying Finn 05-18-2012 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by race911 (Post 9540082)
I have off and on. But life now dictates using the truck nearly all the time.

+1
I'm in a same situation, some day it's the 993 (I've found out, more I drive it, more I like it), some day it's my Buell and some day it's my truck although my daily truck is hardly your conventional luxury truck of today...

mgianzero 05-18-2012 01:16 AM

Wait ... so you drive your 993 to the liquor store twice a day? That's a lot of boozing, no?

Flying Finn 05-18-2012 01:20 AM

One point more, just because I've kinda changed my thinking after I've gotten older...

Unless you have 50 cars, don't keep any of them as garage queens...
Absolutely don't do it.

All you accomplish is that you don't enjoy your car much at all and it just sits away and goes bad. I'm not saying you should drive every day, in every condition but these things don't like to sit.

And when yu get older and look back, would you rather tell your grand kids that: "oh man, that old 993 sat in the garage most of the time and. Ow looks real clean" or " oh man, thy old 993 and I have shared 100K+ miles and have gone everywhere and went there fast! It has some stone chips from that trip to west coast, that sent in the rear fender from our trip to Maine and that creasedt on the left when Iostbit a bit at Sebring!"
Etc. etc. etc.

Don't know about you guys but I much rather tell "war stories" with my 993 than explain how nice the paint is because I sat that poor car in the garage forthe past 30 Yeats.

Not to mention what I've personally experienced with it when using it rather than looking at it.

I don't blame you guys who think of it as a piece of art and only want to look at it but seriously, you're life's going by and you really only get one run at it...

Life's WAY too short, enjoy it!

Gt3 Racer RS 05-18-2012 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Flying Finn (Post 9540294)
One point more, just because I've kinda changed my thinking after I've gotten older...

Absolutely don't do it.

All you accomplish is that you don't enjoy your car much at all and it just sits away and goes bad. I'm not saying you should drive every day, in every condition but these things don't like to sit.

And when yu get older and look back, would you rather tell your grand kids that: "oh man, that old 993 sat in the garage most of the time and. Ow looks real clean" or " oh man, thy old 993 and I have shared 100K+ miles and have gone everywhere and went there fast! It has some stone chips from that trip to west coast, that sent in the rear fender from our trip to Maine and that creasedt on the left when Iostbit a bit at Sebring!"
Etc. etc. etc.

Don't know about you guys but I much rather tell "war stories" with my 993 than explain how nice the paint is because I sat that poor car in the garage forthe past 30 Yeats.

Not to mention what I've personally experienced with it when using it rather than looking at it.

+1 He has a point! (even though all my cars are Garage Queens)

FisterD 05-18-2012 01:31 AM

Everyday to the shop and back (unless I need my truck for something special.)

Harry L 05-18-2012 01:36 AM

DD - it will be 6 years in August - because life is way too short to not enjoy it every day.

Although, I live in California, and have had a covered, reserved far-righthand-side parking spot at work the entire time; not that I worry about those kinds of things...

Mike J 05-18-2012 03:24 AM

I use my Turbo as a DD, but if the weather is really sucky, then use the truck. Its not like the Turbo can't take the weather, its that I am too lazy to wash it again....

DJF1 05-18-2012 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Flying Finn (Post 9540294)

Absolutely don't do it.

Etc. etc. etc.

I don't blame you guys who think of it as a piece of art and only want to look at it but seriously, you're life's going by and you really only get one run at it...

Life's WAY too short, enjoy it!

Right on Petu. I had the same thoughts before I sold my cabrio where I was forced to use it as a daily driver. Pretty awesome, although I must say that I have some incredible road trips and memories with that car. That experience alone led me to make a final decision and get another Porsche to drive daily and since getting my 928 which fits the bill in all accounts (personal+ family), I'm enjoying the experience daily.
From time to time I'm also taking the coupe out for a spin if the weather is good as its pretty stiff and the race setup not very road friendly.
Indeed DRIVE them!!!