Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?

Wife's 07 Corvette (garage queen with 15K miles) was hesitating on start. Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (added to gas) solved the prolem. Actually, she noticed the car runs alot better now.

Similar product for Porsches?

My car runs fine, but is 16 years old.

I am hesitant to use such a product becuase of concerns regarding:

- creating a problem that isn't there right now
- dislodging settled debris and clogging an injector downstream

Curious, suggestions?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:14 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

a number of folks here use Jectron and / or Ventil Sauber by Liqui Moly

techron is popular as well
Old 05-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Seafoam on other cars with success. But if you don't have a problem, I wouldn't use anything. Driving these car like they were meant to be driven usually prevents problems.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my '75, with CIS, my tech said use BG 44K. Not sure if that applies to Motronic stuff, but it sure made a difference in that car.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner with Techron prior to my yearly oil changes.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
a number of folks here use Jectron and / or Ventil Sauber by Liqui Moly

techron is popular as well
Excellent recommendations. I recommend at least a yearly treatment to control injector & intake valve deposits, both of which cause some running issues.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car definitely runs bettwer after running Techron. I was in a pinch the other day and ran STP Fuel Injection Cleaner, and it seems that it was running better as I pulled out of the gas station. After awhile, she starts to run rough in the morning and has a very slight hesitation during shifts.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
But if you don't have a problem, I wouldn't use anything.
I don't agree-an ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I would pull the injectors every, say 10 years, and have them properly serviced - they will be cleaned, checked for flow, and have new sealing rings.

One the sets that i have done, there is usually one or two partially blocked, or throwing a weird pattern. After ultrasonically cleaning the injectors, they are good to go.

A bit of cleaner added to the fuel is good, but its like going to the dentist. You can brush and floss for daily maintenance, but to get REALLY clean you need to go into the shop.. !

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

I will add this; My uncle has worked for Chevron for almost 25 years. He has a engineering degree, and we almost always "talk fuel" when he is in town. A few points of interest:

Techron is THE additive you want in your premium grade fuel. Not all gasoline is the same. If you want good gas, stick with Chevron/Texaco, or if you must Shell, QT, or Marathon. Sure, you can get gas cheaper at the other stations, but it is the additive package in these brands that really makes their gas superior. Even if you only run a tank full of Chevron every 3rd tank, you would be amazed at how much cleaner the internals of your flat 6 will be after 100k miles.

Big Oil (Chevron) is not happy at all about ethanol laced fuel requirements coming out of Congress. It was not their idea, but it is their problem--and yours too. E85 is a VERY real problem we are going to be dealing with in the near future. Big Oil knows that this stuff is horrible for cars 2001 and older, and they have demonstrated evidence to Congress of this--but it is the environmentalists, Big Ag, and politicians trying to reduce foreign oil consumption that have pushed it through.

You want to here the stupidest part of it all: E10 is around 3% less efficient than regular gas. But E85 is 20-25% less efficient than pure gasoline!

Another interesting tidbit: Gasoline companies make their money on whats called the "trickle down." ie; when crude prices go up, there is no way for them to try and keep the price at the pump tied to what the market is doing (it moves too quickly), so they are just trying to maintain a margin. Then, later, when crude comes back down, gasoline can then be sold at full margin, dictated only by supply and demand (what other stations are selling it for.) Of course this is a way over simplified explanation, but you get the picture. Crude oil by the barrel is not always a good indicator of the direction gas prices are headed--so watching CNBC will only help you guess the price at the pump if you monitor reformulated blendstock inventories.

So, with this threadjack almost complete;
-go check your tire pressure
-go to sams club and get the four pack of Techron fuel system cleaner $24
-go get a fresh tank of premium gas (preferably at Chevron)
-check out pure gas.org
Old 05-12-2012, 12:11 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I run Techron about once a year in the 911 (every 3-4K miles) and every 5K or so miles in the Audi. I can't say I've noticed the cars running any better but I've never had any injector issues either.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
You want to here the stupidest part of it all: E10 is around 3% less efficient than regular gas. But E85 is 20-25% less efficient than pure gasoline!
Yes, they realize it is LESS efficent. That way you will need to buy MORE gas, raising their tax coffers (federal/state gas tax).
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
Big Oil knows that this stuff is horrible for cars 2001 and older, and they have demonstrated evidence to Congress of this--but it is the environmentalists, Big Ag, and politicians trying to reduce foreign oil consumption that have pushed it through.
Good points and here is where you, and everyone who reads these Forums comes in.

Writing one's Congressmen & Senators makes a difference; they keep very careful track of public input on various issues since they all want to be re-elected. Several years ago, Big Banking wanted Congress to relax some rules and the public became incensed enough to write, call, and complain in volume. Ultimately, the banking lobby lost out to the clamoring from the American public.

This issue is in everyone's collective hands. Write your elected representative in Washington DC to express your views about ethanol and its effect on overall fuel consumption as well as how it effects cars that are a few years old.

A sufficient outpouring here from car owners as well as industry gets their attention and that can ameliorate the lobbying by the Ag industry as well as well-intentioned environmentalists and help contain ethanol use to 10% or even less.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I use the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner with Techron prior to my yearly oil changes.
OK I get the"once a year" idea and like that.

But I don't get the "prior to oil change" idea. Where and when do these two systems interact, and how does flushing crud out of your fuel system suggest then changing your oil??

What am I missing here?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I used Techron concentrate it in the TT once and I use it in my 540i before every oil change. I also only run Shell 93 in both. No Chevrons in NY/NJ that I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?