Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
OK I get the"once a year" idea and like that.

But I don't get the "prior to oil change" idea. Where and when do these two systems interact, and how does flushing crud out of your fuel system suggest then changing your oil??

What am I missing here?
I think the point is that the crud you flushed our of your fuel system is now mixed in with your oil and it's good to get it out of followed by an oil change.
chuck
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

But I don't get the "prior to oil change" idea. Where and when do these two systems interact, and how does flushing crud out of your fuel system suggest then changing your oil??

What am I missing here?
The "crud" will add some level of contamination to the oil. Your going through your fuel system into the combustion chamber.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What am I missing here?
Dan, good question, and this one always comes up when talking about fuel system cleaners. I do it prior to an oil change, mainly for these reasons:

1) Smart people like Steve Weiner tells us to do it this way (search his old posts)

2) Smart people like Charles Navarro makes the same recommendation.

3) I am only going to use it once per year, might as well be prior to getting my oil changed.

I know very little about these cars (compared to others) but I do "know" a lot of very smart people. I just repeat what they tell me (us). We don't need to know everything, just people who do!
The following users liked this post:
carguy999 (10-07-2023)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csertich
I think the point is that the crud you flushed our of your fuel system is now mixed in with your oil and it's good to get it out of followed by an oil change.
chuck
OK so this presumes that the two systems are not isolated from each other and that the crud gets in the oil because the rings are not doing the job, or the stuff even gets past good rings? Do I have that right?

If that's the way is works, so be it. Otherwise, please explain further. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
I think the point is that the crud you flushed out of your fuel system is now mixed in with your oil and it's good to get it out of followed by an oil change.
chuck
Chuck, what "crud in our fuel system" are we talking about?

Crud in our fuel lines...injectors...intake tract? If so, that amount of crud is so negligible compared to the crud in our everyday combustion process. And if its the crud from the intake valves and combustion chamber, most of that crud will go out the exhaust tract. A before and after oil analysis would clear up that question.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

As noted above, enough of the knowledgable engine guys recommend the oil change after running the cleaner through. Whether that is particulates, unburnt cleaner, or what- where is the harm in timing it thus?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have a direct injection(DI) engine of some sort in your vehicle( many of the newer engines) then your oil will not be be uncontaminated from a fuel service product. The active ingredients would not survive the heat of the combustion chamber and any residue left over will pass through your exhaust as Alex suggested. You can change your oil as needed before or after. I work in this field and it has been tested.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run my car on pure Techron. No gasoline deposits in my engine.
The following users liked this post:
phatz (12-04-2022)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I run my car on pure Techron. No gasoline deposits in my engine.
I like to believe Techron works, but I do not actually know, it's more on faith and perhaps advertising - on my previous 993 I had some partial blockages in my injectors, but always used Chevon fuel, BUT I did not know what the previous owners used.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike I think you stated this once before using the analagy that its like cleaning your teeth daily and having them professionally cleaned by the dentist. I think it was you that said someting like that??
No fuel product will keep your injectors entirely clean. Much depends on your fuel quality, ethanol usage and many other factors. The quality of your fuel additive is also important as most of them just increase your octane and give you a short boost of feel good. Little or no cleaning power. Additives that are actually effective are quite expensive.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmyth
Hi Mike I think you stated this once before using the analagy that its like cleaning your teeth daily and having them professionally cleaned by the dentist. I think it was you that said someting like that??
No fuel product will keep your injectors entirely clean. Much depends on your fuel quality, ethanol usage and many other factors. The quality of your fuel additive is also important as most of them just increase your octane and give you a short boost of feel good. Little or no cleaning power. Additives that are actually effective are quite expensive.
Yeah, that was me (I think....).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
As noted above, enough of the knowledgable engine guys recommend the oil change after running the cleaner through. Whether that is particulates, unburnt cleaner, or what- where is the harm in timing it thus?
OK final try. Again I have no problem with the frequency, and actually believe it's a good idea, but I tend not to swallow things whole.

What are the facts that the "knowledgable (sic) people" can cite that indicate there is a contamination of the oil system resulting from use of these products and therefore the need for an oil change following their use???
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

i think the whole thing is overrated, but I do it once a year regardless.

My 16 year old TT injectors were sent out for cleaning. They were basically perfect, and I use all different types of gas and do nothing else special
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

FWIW oReilly Auto Parts has Techron 2 for 1 now. I picked up 2 bottles on Saturday.

I also use it, more on faith than anything else, once a year before oil changes.

I also put Chevron gas in nearly exclusively.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I used a can of BG44K in my 993 and thought it was great. It really did clean the combustion chambers and I have no problems with my (still original) injectors.

Berni

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaners - yes or no?