Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drama = software issues? Dunno.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Obviously we're not privy to PM's but based on a long history here I find it hard to believe in his sincerity.
I've always found that assuming one knows somebody else's motivations to be a sucker's game.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

You callin' me a sucker? Huh? Lol. No... really...if you are, it's fine. I's just a word. So if so, why? I rarely go for games - this guy seems like he really does want to come around.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I would like to make a sincere apology to Bonni Parker, JoAnne + Robert Trinkle and all of the other members I may have offended. I am truly sorry.....................
Respectfully
Michael Paul
Just got home from work and its been a very very long day. I see I've miss out and am late to the party (again).

Thank you Michael. Apology accepted.

No need for me or you to say anymore about it as I think that takes care of us mending 'our' fence this time.

As for the doubters, I'd like to think he meant it and I do feel he was sincere..... I may be wrong, and only time will tell, but I feel that Bonne and I are both right this time. I don't think he'll be apologizing to us again.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bonster
You callin' me a sucker? Huh? Lol. No... really...if you are, it's fine. I's just a word. So if so, why? I rarely go for games - this guy seems like he really does want to come around.
Ha! Good point. But I was really pointing that more at CorrdoBrit. Anyway, no skin of my rear either way.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 350 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Ha! Good point. But I was really pointing that more at CorrdoBrit. Anyway, no skin of my rear either way.

OUCH! Skin off the rear. I think would really hurt....

Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Skin off my rear won't hurt much. I have plenty to go around.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Skin off my rear won't hurt much. I have plenty to go around.
And I'd want to know that because....????!!!

Dayem - I'm going to my garage and hanging out with my 993, Jen's 964 and our '68 911L because....

Just because I can....

John
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Lol, John. I should go chase the AC problem in my car, actually, since you mentioned car repair. And yuck - radiator hoses (!) in the truck. And the Miata is probably due for an oil change. If you get bored, come on down and help.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

The May issue of GTPorsche has a nice article compairing the 993 C2S and C4S. Nothing earth shattering but it always nice to read current articles about the cars we love and drive.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 AM
James_J
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmab
The May issue of GTPorsche has a nice article compairing the 993 C2S and C4S. Nothing earth shattering but it always nice to read current articles about the cars we love and drive.
You may be interested in this from a Porsche Club Great Britain member who really seems to know the detail and who doesn't seem to be too impressed with the accuracy of the GT Porsche article; (maybe US-spec cars are different though) here's the quote: There is a new article discussing the relative merits of the two models in this month’s edition of GT Purely Porsche (May 2012). But the accuracy of the specification of the two models leaves something to be desired with bold statements such as "the 4S has suspension and the brakes of the turbo model". Actually the C4S has the dampers from the M033 package (lowered chassis) and the springs are also M033 on the front and an exclusive refinement of the M033 rear springs with a rate of 36 N/mm. The anti-roll bars (20mm F / 18mm R) are standard C4 fodder, which practically means a thinner front anti-roll bar (compared to a std Carrera 2) to promote turn in and reduce under-steer. There is nothing about the suspension that compares with a turbo model. The article goes on the say how the handling and ride are much better than the standard suspension equipped Carrera S model. Wrong again, the Carrera S does not have the std suspension of the Carrera coupe, but again has largely the same components as the C4S and an ordinary model (c2/targa/cabriolet/c4 coupe/cabriolet) that was ordered with the factory M033 (lowered chassis) option which Porsche state clearly lowers the ride height by 20mm rear and 10mm front for a visual enhancement and does not increase the harshness of the ride at all, hence no increase in spring rate or damper rate, indeed the dampers are only part of the package to stop the short springs from dislocating on full droop by way of a reduced piston rod length. The anti-roll bars of the Carrera S model (21mm F / 18mm R) are the same as all other 2 wheel drive standard variants.
To achieve turbo like suspension on either model requires the optional M030 (sport chassis) to be fitted and even then you don't get the rear springs or rear anti-roll bar of a turbo model.

The brakes of the C4S are not lifted directly from the turbo model but rather follow the form of the four wheel-drive models with their hydraulic brake servo system as opposed to the 2 wheel drive models Vacuum servo. The discs and callipers / pads are taken from the turbo model, the rest is C4 with a further reduction in rear switch-over pressure from the C4's 45 bar to 40 bar for the C4S, the turbo is 55 bar and oddly enough the standard 2 wheel-drive models are 40 bar all with a reduction factor of .46 . The brakes feel more powerful because the pedal pressure is multiplied by a factor of 4.8:1 on all four wheel-drive variants and only 3.15:1 on two wheel-drive ones.
The RS model shares the C4 hydraulic system but with a reduction in pressure multiplication to a figure of 3.6:1, so evidently the development driver found the four wheel drive settings to be "over servoed".
I believe the "more planted" "less floaty" feel of the C4S model is directly attributed to the extra weight of the car and its extras and four wheel-drive hardware balancing the weight out more evenly between front and rear. I am sure all owners would agree a full tank of fuel and tyres with a generous tread depth soften the ride of our cars noticeably.

To say that the Carrera S interior is "bog standard" is not quite true. The dashboard and door panels are not covered in plastic, but in a mixture of “leatherette” and real leather with a brushed effect only found on the S model.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see the technical accuracy in the above. But this isn't 1997. In 2012 (hell, 2002), all but the museum piece cars have been altered. Some for the better, many not..........

As far as the brakes go, in the 35 years I've been paying attention to cars, conventional wisdom over here pretty much considers same-for-same on the hardware. And 99+% of the time that will mean calipers and rotors. Sometimes differences in the master cylinder. With a (US delivered) RWD v. AWD 993, you do have the complication of vacuum v. hydraulic assist to compare/contrast. But when you start getting into pressure limiters, I think you lose most everyone.

And I must be the outlier, as I've never noticed differences in fuel level or tread depth, and hardly even weight until you get to GVW maximum, as making a difference in ride quality. At least here on the third world goat trails we call roads in Northern California. Then again,Ilately 'm finding a solid bushing, large torsion bar, race shell equipped Targa on 17" wheels surprisingly passable comfort-wise.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. There was a little drama there.

Who did I steal this picture from?
I need to thank you for helping me choose a C4S!
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Boy that NB looks skinny.....

Quick Reply: Truth about 2S