993 Forum 1995-1998

Truth about 2S

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by element
+1 NBs!! we might be uglier, but we are faster, more aerodynamic, lighter & better on gas
Sounds like something one would say about a 996.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Sounds like something one would say about a 996.
I think it only applies to stock looks. I happen to like the aero look on 996s more than 993s. 993 stock looks much nicer than 996 stock.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I have three 993's. If I wanted an "S" version it would be in my collection. My Turbo is more than sufficient to scratch my wide-boy itch.
I did read your signature. I read that you don't have one. After reading your post about the "truth" about wide body NA cars being that they basically are the worst of the lot, I figured you were probably pretty happy about not having one. Am I wrong?

While your turbo must be super awesome, there are many people who prefer an NA wide body (DC from Cape Cod, where are you?), regardless of the inferior performance numbers. You'll find there are many different kinds of RL 993'ers the more you hang out here. There's no "right" car for everyone.

Also, I don't know if I'd ever apply the word "truth" to any form of journalism, especially automotive.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that's why they put the 993 turbo in a NB, Oh ****,"wrong', the Porsche engineers got it all wrong according to these "knowledgable authors", it sounds like the writers were British, who could never quite figure out Porsches. Let it fly!

Bert
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The point is.....

Originally Posted by SEATRA
So again, what's you're point? What hype? What makes this the time to remember what so-called expert writers supposedly said about the Carrera S. If you love all the variants so much then why are you calling one out? Make you feel better somehow?
Sean,
What do I need to feel better about?I feel great!
It has been very dull on the site for a week other than the "Big Power" post.IMO. I thought I would start a heated discussion to amuse myself and others.OK!
As always if anyone would like to have copies of the articles I quoted from just PM me with your email address and I will forward them to you.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm.... not convinced.... I'll keep the 'S'.....
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

you got a fat *** :P
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Why argue about this? The market has long since spoken on this subject: S cars command a premium over their fine narrow-bodied brethren.

If you think paying extra for a wide-body doesn't make sense, don't buy one. But the market says they are more desirable, and therefore, cost more.

Simple as that
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=77'3.6vram;9515770]Sean,
It has been very dull on the site for a week other than the "Big Power" post.IMO. I thought I would start a heated discussion to amuse myself and others.OK!
QUOTE]

They have a word for that - "Trolling".
Generally frowned upon by most.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default Trolling it is then

[quote=PNogC2S;9515834]
Sean,
QUOTE]

They have a word for that - "Trolling".
Generally frowned upon by most.
Whatever you want to call it. I don't care.I thought it would be interesting to bring another aspect to the discussion on the 2S. I am just posting quotes from well respected writers in the Porsche community. I agree with there assessment of the 2S. I believe educating Porsche enthusiasts is what the community is primarily about.I am not looking to make new friends or go on outings.We are here to talk and learn about the 993. All aspects.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 189 Posts

I love all variants of the 993. I think it is time to remember what the seasoned professional Porsche writers/testers and owners had to say about the 2S before all the hype started.
All of the quotes are taken from GT Purely Porsche 2002 to 2005.

August 2004 issue:
"First,back in September 2002, we lambasted the S for it's hyper-active road manners,calling it the perfect King's Road 911."
"In February of this year we ran a 993 2S and 4S buyers guide.The author of that feature announced that the wide-bodied cars are not as good to drive as a standard Carrera 2. On the track or perfectly smooth blacktop you wouldn't complain, but when it came to driving the car every day on the UK's pitiful highways, it was certainly not handling as fluently as it should. He went on to say: Many owners found they couldn't live with the S on a day-to-day basis and quickly sold them. Our Pure Data section in the magazine, meanwhile , describes the 2S as a 'best avoided. The wide-boy 993 is, it would appear , is something of a dichotomy- a flawed genius."
December 2005 issue:
"....in execution the Carrera S ,with it's two-wheel drive running gear, 17-inch wheels and standard brakes proved to be a bit of a disappointment. Admittedly it looked fantastic, those wide hips and a drop in ride height giving the S a menacing, ground-hugging appearance, but there was none of the finesse of the standard Carrera 2 about the car. Where the Carrera 2 glided over surface imperfections, the C2S crashed and thumped, hunting cambers and demanding frequent corrections. As an overall package this was the most compromised of the 993 range."

There are numerous other negative opinions given about the 2S. The 30 extra kilos reduced its performance and make it a difficult machine to drive. There was and is justification for GT Purley Porsche to have ,for seven years, given it a "Best Avoided" rating in there Pure Data section.

Well, as my daily act of charity, and with keeping the above referenced professional opinion regarding C2S in mind...I will offer to personally buy these automotive afronts to dignity and purity, these posers of a handbuilt from metal sort, these pathetic tram lining impercise objects of so much missguided desire.

In other words, sell me your now worthless, now unwanted, downtrodded rear wheel drive normally aspirated wide body buckets. I would imagine the more peculiar colors would have immediately depreciated even more. Then if they are worth nothing, than what exactly is half of nothing?

So, I now see it as my civic duty, my act of random kindness...to buy as many of these as possible from the current unlucky owners.

My finances are not unlimited, so I will start with the less desirable colors of these undesireables.

So, send me your Rivera Blue C2S, your Turquoise, your Vesuvio, your Blood Orange, yes...even those pathetic paint to sample colors.

I know, I know...I'm too kind. Hey, just paying it forward-it's the rennlist way.

PM me and I'll come and get that junk right away.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

[quote=77'3.6vram;9515923]
Originally Posted by PNogC2S

Whatever you want to call it. I don't care. Apparently.

I thought it would be interesting to bring another aspect to the discussion on the 2S. It's not that interesting, to be honest.

I am just posting quotes from well respected writers in the Porsche community. I agree with there assessment of the 2S. You can agree with their assessments, but that doesn't make them correct.

I believe educating Porsche enthusiasts is what the community is primarily about. Education is only as good as the source from which you are receiving the education.

I am not looking to make new friends or go on outings. You're doing a good job, in that case.

We are here to talk and learn about the 993. All aspects. How about sticking to aspects that are mostly true and not just inflammatory just to create controversy, for controversy's sake?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I thought I would never see a day that the 2S was chosen over a 4S. It is a Rennlist culture I do not see in other Porsche circles.

I spent mint TT money on my last 4S because the torque curve of a TT was not compatible with my driving style. (I have had consistent seat time in all forms of 993's on a daily basis for years)

However, I have a TT Cayenne that is very well suited for boost as balance and load are no concern.

Over all I believe a light weight narrow body coupe to be the drivers 993.

I think to get everything out of the 993 experience, it must be done with more than one car.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I like BIG BUTTS and I cannot LIE
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are hardwired to want beautiful things, be they cars, boats, flowers, woman etc. If we all agreed on everything we would be fighting over the same woman. I believe most Porsche lovers consider the C2S to be a gorgeous car. The fact that its performance might be a tick better or worse than a NB is a distinction without a difference for most drivers. Either car has limits so high that getting anywhere near those limits on public roads would be irresponsible and foolish. My favorite car of all time is a 1961 Ferrari 250 California roadster. Long hood, front engine V12, 6 webers, Boranni wires.....As a teen I spent nearly as many hours looking at pictures of that car as the Playboy centerfolds, and looking at the car could be done in polite company and didn't require any Kleenex! This car goes zero to sixty is seven long seconds and doesn't handle all that well...I'd bet a well set up Neon could beat it around most road courses. One just sold at auction for $10,960,000. Now that is the market speaking. 993's....I love them all.....Cheers

Quick Reply: Truth about 2S