993 Forum 1995-1998

Big power 993 engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
How much to do the 3.9 and 4.0 , without shipping to U.K., in US dollars?
Thanks
Geoffery is the 9M US rep located near Albany, NY. I would love to have Geoffrey do a 9M 993 NA engine in the future.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9492230-post73.html
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
My deepest apologies,.....I was simply trying to maintain my objectivity & integrity and one big way to do that is by not selling anything,...

Now,..if you want just one example to look at, here you go. Call me for details.
Just found my new screensaver....
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the process of my final build list for my engine because of some nasty findings a couple of months back... To make HP reliably there are alot of little things (and big) that need to be done to the engine to make it reliable.

You must remember to make the HP you need to turn the engine more than 7000rpm, with an aim for Big HP (400+) you are going to be turning the engine to 7500 rpm and higher. To do this there are some major systems that need to be improved to ensure the longevity of the engine (Oil Pump, crank or crank modifications, Rods, Light weight pistons, heads or major head work, ECU to support fuel etc) its not for the faint of heart or light of wallet..

Lets start at the bottom end and work out.... (approx prices for discussion points , you may find cheaper or more expensive) You also need to consider that some of these items will require additional machining of the case etc to make them fit, not a lot is off the shelf bolt together stuff.

GT3 Oil pump - ~$1600
GT3 Crank or Modified stock crank - ~ $500 to $2000
Bearings - Modified for Stock Crank ~$800
Rods - ~$1500 to over $2500 (if going GT3 crank custome length rods are needed or custom pistons)
Pistons and Cylinders - So many options here, Custom pistons in stock rebuilt cylinders can start at ~$2000 or go for a full set of 3.9 pistons and cylinders starting at ~$4500 and up.
Heads - RS Head work with valves, springs etc, ~$3000 or billet heads for $10k +
Cams - ~$1000
Mechanical Rockers - ~$500 to $800
Intake - The stock intake doesn't allow you to use cams that will support the RPM needed to, for the bigger HP engines you will ned to go to ITB's these can be found for as low as ~$3000, or up as high as $12k+, middle range systems at around $5000 to $6000 are a good bet.
ECU - This is a must as none of this will work with a stock ECU. Look at ~$3000 t0 $4000 at the bottom end and go up from there. You will also need to factor in custom tuning for $2000 to $3000.

Of course that is all the fun stuff, you will also need a bunch of ancilliary stuff, gaskets, timing chains, etc. Oh and of course the 40+ hours of labor to put this all together.

This is by no means a complete list but should give you an idea of what is needed to make a good reliable higher HP 993 engine....Of course this begs the question what is Trophy doing.

Most of the above will be going into my engine (GT3 crank is going in with Titanium rods) but the full list will be released in a later thread.....

Let the discussion continue..... Above all talk to the experst and there is alot of them in the US.... Steve Weiner, Geoffrey Ring , Geoff Gamroth and many many more....
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
How much to do the 3.9 and 4.0 , without shipping to U.K., in US dollars?
Thanks
Although I have built a few 4.0 litre engines, the additional build cost & risk factor of the 4.0 over the 3.82 litre variant far outweighs the minor torque advantage attained. The cost of building the 3.82 engine with GT3 crank, rods, 9m 103 pistons, 9m billet heads, 9m valve train, etc. is in the order of £30k ($50k) depending on exact specification, onto this you would need to add suitable Motec engine management and exhaust systems.

That said, we also have in development is a complete 9m aircooled power solution, consisting of a 9m 3.82 litre race engine, 9m ITB intake & 9m exhaust system with a custom coded & fully mapped 9m ecu, the first of which is destined to be fitted into the Gulf Blue 9m11RS-R (as documented on the 964 forum). Once this development is complete we will then be in the position to offer an export engine solution that will outperform the 4.0 litre engine above in all departments and cope with all environmental conditions (including fuel choice). More on this when the time is right.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oops forgot headers and exhaust.....
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if they still do 993's but Protomotive/Protosport built my engine. Supposed to be 510 crank HP. I have not dynoed, but it really pulls. Seems to be very reliable. They install Pauter rods, etc. to beef up engine. They guy I bought from paid 32K for the engine. I love it and it sounds amazing.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

I would be happy with a solid 300-320 at the wheels and a regear. Wonder what that would cost me??
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I would be happy with a solid 300-320 at the wheels and a regear. Wonder what that would cost me??
Perfect 3.6 with cams & Motec should achieve this. Cost £10k ($16k) or thereabouts on a good engine, double on a bad one.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Too many variables to fasten down a hard number, but if you call me, I can ask some questions and shoot you some ballpark figures.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Too many variables to fasten down a hard number, but if you call me, I can ask some questions and shoot you some ballpark figures.
Hey Steve, just as an FYI...that beautiful engine pic you posted? Umm, my birthday is January 9th
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks for the offer but this is a dream for me at this point. When it is no longer a dream you will be the first phonecall.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All I can add now is that the "package" of the driveline Steve built into the yellow car for Kim is certainly all I require for my level of enjoyment. What's the extra 50-70 HP get you, outside of a timed competition? 3-5 MPH trap speed at most tracks. Oh, and you'll be braking a car length sooner, so what's your point-to-point gain? I know what I've got in that driveline alone probably approaches really, really, really nice "S" WHOLE CAR territory, but I'm comfortable in knowing what I don't have in pure power I've got in reliability.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
I am in the process of my final build list for my engine because of some nasty findings a couple of months back... To make HP reliably there are alot of little things (and big) that need to be done to the engine to make it reliable.

You must remember to make the HP you need to turn the engine more than 7000rpm, with an aim for Big HP (400+) you are going to be turning the engine to 7500 rpm and higher. To do this there are some major systems that need to be improved to ensure the longevity of the engine (Oil Pump, crank or crank modifications, Rods, Light weight pistons, heads or major head work, ECU to support fuel etc) its not for the faint of heart or light of wallet..

Lets start at the bottom end and work out.... (approx prices for discussion points , you may find cheaper or more expensive) You also need to consider that some of these items will require additional machining of the case etc to make them fit, not a lot is off the shelf bolt together stuff.

GT3 Oil pump - ~$1600
GT3 Crank or Modified stock crank - ~ $500 to $2000
Bearings - Modified for Stock Crank ~$800
Rods - ~$1500 to over $2500 (if going GT3 crank custome length rods are needed or custom pistons)
Pistons and Cylinders - So many options here, Custom pistons in stock rebuilt cylinders can start at ~$2000 or go for a full set of 3.9 pistons and cylinders starting at ~$4500 and up.
Heads - RS Head work with valves, springs etc, ~$3000 or billet heads for $10k +
Cams - ~$1000
Mechanical Rockers - ~$500 to $800
Intake - The stock intake doesn't allow you to use cams that will support the RPM needed to, for the bigger HP engines you will ned to go to ITB's these can be found for as low as ~$3000, or up as high as $12k+, middle range systems at around $5000 to $6000 are a good bet.
ECU - This is a must as none of this will work with a stock ECU. Look at ~$3000 t0 $4000 at the bottom end and go up from there. You will also need to factor in custom tuning for $2000 to $3000.

Of course that is all the fun stuff, you will also need a bunch of ancilliary stuff, gaskets, timing chains, etc. Oh and of course the 40+ hours of labor to put this all together.

This is by no means a complete list but should give you an idea of what is needed to make a good reliable higher HP 993 engine....Of course this begs the question what is Trophy doing.

Most of the above will be going into my engine (GT3 crank is going in with Titanium rods) but the full list will be released in a later thread.....

Let the discussion continue..... Above all talk to the experst and there is alot of them in the US.... Steve Weiner, Geoffrey Ring , Geoff Gamroth and many many more....
Steven, looks like you have done your homework. Everything looks right. Good luck with your engine. Believe me, when you are done, you will have a big smile I am even not close to that.

Paul
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more...at least this is a dream with some small potential for realization some day, even if I build it myself.

Everything else is just pure fantasy

Jim

Quick Reply: Big power 993 engines