Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hood dilemma

After getting my car cut polished I noticed there are a couple of crease-like bumps on the hood. The local body shop says it looks like someone has pressed on the centre of the hood and bent it in slightly. Can this be "pulled" out or a dent repair to "tap" the high spots down? Has anyone else had this due to pressure on the hood? I really don't want to buy or repair the whole hood.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Some of the paintless guys are really good, so maybe. I don't think anyone here can say anything definitive just with your description. Pics don't really tell the story either.

You don't say where the damage is. Ive never bent a hood pushing on the crest, but I'm careful. Usually good damage like this is caused by shutting on something or getting hung up on something and the person closing not noticing,
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
After getting my car cut polished I noticed there are a couple of crease-like bumps on the hood.
Zack, has the paint been broken?

Ask clubs/dealers in your area for references for paintless dent repair technicians. These masters are a joy to watch at work. I had two very small dimples removed from the driver's door and cannot find them now; not even under the best light. Anything to avoid a repaint, if possible.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

I would pay these guys a visit and see what they say, I used them like honestly 10 years ago (not on a p-car) but the job was amazing! They removed a door and rear quarter panel dent.

http://www.dentsunlimited.com/index.html
Old 03-31-2012, 03:35 AM
doberdog

Thanks for the feedback. I've known Randy from Dents Unlimited for a long time.
Since the hood was either pushed in the centre or it was closed on something, it looks like two long, very subtle raised creases, one just above the crest and the other just half way up the hood. The good news is the paint has not been damaged and until the car was cut polished, I never noticed. You have confirmed what I thought and a painless dent remover is the best try...
Old 03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Zack - Randy often does onsite jobs at places like Burrard Autostrasse, so you might be able to hook up with them in Vancouver.
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

A PDR guys should be able to fix it. If you come down to the states, I know a couple that do awesome work, but I'm sure there are good guys around you as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

My hood was dented once when an amazon woman thought it would be sexy to plant her amazon sized *** on it one drunken night.

Took it several places over the course of 6 months all of whom said I needed a new hood and paint.

I was distraught as I did not want to corrupt the originality of my TT.

I eventually found a PDR guy who was such a 993 fan (he claims he has a cab owned since new with 50 miles on it) that he was wiling to tackle the job.

Came out perfect.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a ding removed in my engine lid a few weeks ago by a PDR guy. He cold not get his long tool in there like in a door but used some **** type things he glued on. Lots of pounding. I couldn't bear to watch. When he was done it was absolutely perfect, and I have black paint which shows anything. Some of Hesse guys are very good. I called my local Porsche dealership and asked him who they recommended
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM
doberdog

Thanks again guys, I'll give Randy a call he has come by my house before, great guy. I'll let you know how it turns out.
The image of the amazon woman sitting on the hood is perfect-- kind of what I thought happened to my car. Too funny.

Quick Reply: Hood dilemma