993 Forum 1995-1998

Notes from a Pedal Assembly Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
How long does it take you to pull out the pedal box now?

Great to know on the parts, this is on my list for the 95.
Not long at all. I guess that if you did this for a living you would pick up some speed. Once you learn all the gotchas you'd be ok. I think I made most of the mistakes you can make the first time through. Hopefully it will be another 50k miles before I have to revisit it again.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM
bruce7
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
Nice Work! A couple of comments:

1 - Bypassing the clutch switch will disable the cruise control, correct? (not that many of use do that anyways).

4 - i also do not remove the vent tubes if I bleed the clutch - not sure why these would be in the way. Mind you, I bleed on a lift so that might make some difference. I have a system with a jug hung on the cross member, and a long clear plastic tube from the bleed nipple. I then use pressure to bleed the clutch, but slowly since you do not lose much fluid in the reservoir before you will start to push some air.
Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike,

The cruise control is actually handled by another micro switch. So on the one hand this enables you to defeat the clutch interlock independently from the cruise control. But since both functions depend on the clutch pedal position, you would have thought they would use a single switch. I think they added the clutch interlock switch as an afterthought when US safety regulations required it. By the way, one of the side-effects of my first install with the defective clutch lever was that cruise control stopped working. That was because the pedal was not returning back far enough to engage the switch. In fact I had to remove the wooden floorboard to get enough pedal travel to disengage the clutch. I drove it like that for awhile while I figured out what was wrong.

I wish I did have a lift. I can only safely raise the car up to just get under it and do all the work on my back. This makes for some difficult wrenching positions. In fact I think I tore something in my shoulder when bleeding the clutch reaching up to the bleed nipple. Not my favorite maintenance item.

-bruce
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-31-2023)
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce7
The cruise control is actually handled by another micro switch.
Bruce, are you sure about that?

There is only one "clutch" switch that can be found on the wiring schematic diagram that has the cruise control and starter on it.

If the switch at the clutch pedal isn't the interlock switch or cruise control switch, where would you find the other switch?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 PM
bruce7
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Bruce, are you sure about that?

There is only one "clutch" switch that can be found on the wiring schematic diagram that has the cruise control and starter on it.

If the switch at the clutch pedal isn't the interlock switch or cruise control switch, where would you find the other switch?
IXLR8,

In the photo below you can see both switches. The cruise control switch is under the master cylinder plunger. The clutch interlock switch is on the side wall to the left of the master cylinder. The clutch interlock switch didn't appear on 95 models from photos I've seen.

-bruce
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (10-31-2023)
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

IXLR8,

In the photo below you can see both switches. The cruise control switch is under the master cylinder plunger. The clutch interlock switch is on the side wall to the left of the master cylinder. The clutch interlock switch didn't appear on 95 models from photos I've seen.

-bruce

Perfectly clear now. I do not have the grey colored switch pictured in your photo and sure enough, my 993 is a 1995.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IXLR8,

The clutch interlock switch didn't appear on 95 models.

-bruce
exactly... the need to depress the clutch pedal to start the car began in MY96

and very nice summary/write up!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM
PITBULL964
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here I have the same problem as you. I got the defective new kinematic lever. Bad luck for me but at least I know what the problem is. I as getting crazy. I never though the lever I bought from Porsche could be defective but it is.... Thanks a loot. You have help me a lot
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Other than the upgraded bronze bushings, is there a list of parts needed for this rebuild, or do you have to wait till yer in there to examine everything?

Do you always have to replace the kinematic lever?

Please pardon my ignorance, as I have never pulled the pedal box before,,,But I'm sensing there is going to be a first time...
Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default CLUTCH

A Friend said Just Lube the thing

Well I figure while I am in there, and its been an Issue for awhile I purchased a few bits
Just figure get it done once. I was told it takes a few pairs of hands = so I will do it all at once.

These are my accumulated Parts - see pics - Also bought the spring - no idea why?
Hope these are right?

Lets see what those who have completed this DIY have to say?
TJ

Originally Posted by nine9six
Other than the upgraded bronze bushings, is there a list of parts needed for this rebuild, or do you have to wait till yer in there to examine everything?

Please pardon my ignorance, as I have never pulled the pedal box before,,,But I'm sensing there is going to be a first time...
Attached Images       
Attached Images
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM
bruce7
Racer

Default Parts List

Originally Posted by nine9six

In reviewing the DIY and the PET I would say to get these items:

From Illustration 702-00: 5, 9, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 22.

From Illustration 702-08: 1, 2, 3, 4.

Also, grease 000-043-209-03 which replaces 000-043-203-37 or equivalent.

I would plan on refreshing the pedal cluster at each clutch replacement.
The incremental cost is not so great and it will ensure the entire clutch
subsystem is brought to like-new condition.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very timely post as I have to do this soon. All I was going to do is replace the bushings. Do the metal parts all wear?

Also, I looked and did not find bronze bushings available for the 993. Has someone found a source?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
bruce7
Racer

Originally Posted by vincer77
Very timely post as I have to do this soon. All I was going to do is replace the bushings. Do the metal parts all wear?

Also, I looked and did not find bronze bushings available for the 993. Has someone found a source?
If you have the time to wait for parts you can tear the pedal cluster down to
inspect what is worn and then just order what you need. Otherwise, I would
assume that any parts that move are worn. The metal parts in the lever
linkage do wear, I think mainly due to misalignment.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for all your timely replies and Bruce for your most inclusive PET pages!

TJ993, I would not go through the trouble of rebuilding my pedal box with the OEM bushings.
EDIT:
TJ993, my apologies for the above reply, and thank you for posting pics of parts and p/n bags! After further thought, I realized how stupid my comment was considering the life span of the OEM bushings @ 20 yrs

Vince n TJ, here is a link for the bronze (oilite) bushing kit from autoatlanta
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-9...-Kit-srch.html

Last edited by nine9six; 04-28-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I spent a lot more getting the plastic OE bushings!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 PM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having put this off for 3 years, this thread has convinced me to finally do it, especially because it has gotten worse.

Anyone know if I can buy the master cylinder rubber boot? It doesn't appear on the parts diagram. Mine is cut and I suspect dirt gets in.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Notes from a Pedal Assembly Rebuild