Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Spotted in Downtown Anchorage, anyone here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spotted in Downtown Anchorage, anyone here?

Walking to dinner to night, I spotted this in a parking lot in Downtown Anchorage and was curious if it belongs to anyone here. The lowered stance and out-of-place split grill on a C4S has me wondering if it an enthusiast and maybe hanging out here on the forum.

As a side bar: There is just something so "Right" about seeing a car like this with snow tires and covered in road grime! It brought a smile to my face, so whoever you are, thank you!
Attached Images    
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Halcyon
Racer

i was just in fairbanks a week ago and brrr its brutally cold up there in alaska ( at least to a southern californian xD ) ! Props to that guy bringing out the 993 in that weather.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

A black C4S driven in Alaska - in the Winter (ok, Spring).

It doesn't get much more dedicated than that.

Harry
Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry L
It doesn't get much more dedicated than that.
At least he has a heater. I've seen motorcyclists out in weather colder and worse than that. Now that is dedication.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen that car around town. I live about 9 miles from downtown Anchorage.

Here is a picture of my C4 taken last week:
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It must fun driving a snow tire'd C4 on snow and ice. I believe salt is useless at around -15° and below so they probably use non of that up there?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Originally Posted by jo-hans
It must fun driving a snow tire'd C4 on snow and ice. I believe salt is useless at around -15° and below so they probably use non of that up there?
No salt is used here. I grew up in NJ and salt took its toll on more than one car.

I went through my entire car this winter. The only rust I found was on the horn bracket, and various speed nuts, screws, and bolts. Not a single spot of rust on any part of the body.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
993 770
Pro

whats the white stuff on the roads?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Originally Posted by 993 770
whats the white stuff on the roads?
It is called Alaska snow, which is frozen moisture that falls from the pure air. Pure air is what people were breathing in LA over 100 years ago.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by Halcyon
i was just in fairbanks a week ago and brrr its brutally cold up there in alaska ( at least to a southern californian xD ) ! Props to that guy bringing out the 993 in that weather.
I live at 8000' above Sea Level in Colorado, so it's a little on the "brisk" side, but nothing more.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
No salt is used here. I grew up in NJ and salt took its toll on more than one car.

I went through my entire car this winter. The only rust I found was on the horn bracket, and various speed nuts, screws, and bolts. Not a single spot of rust on any part of the body.
Seems like I am seeing some sort of cinder on the roads for traction though. Is that what it is?

Colorado uses sand which takes it's toll on the paint work on the nose of the car and windshields, but I'll take a clear bra and glass coverage on my insurance over a rusty car ANY DAY!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by IXLR8
At least he has a heater. I've seen motorcyclists out in weather colder and worse than that. Now that is dedication.
Forget the motorcycle, you should see the nut jobs up here with studded tires on thier bicycles!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
Seems like I am seeing some sort of cinder on the roads for traction though. Is that what it is?

Colorado uses sand which takes it's toll on the paint work on the nose of the car and windshields, but I'll take a clear bra and glass coverage on my insurance over a rusty car ANY DAY!
It depends on the type of road. A de-icing chemical is used on main roads and highways. Crushed stone is used on secondary roads and at intersections. Clear bra is a necessity IMO.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
Forget the motorcycle, you should see the nut jobs up here with studded tires on thier bicycles!!!
whoa dude, that hit close to my heart there...NUTin wrong with studded tires, full fenders, and lots of insulated cycling gear for winter riding.

I destroyed a complete drivetrain on my winter bike this season, chain, cassette, and chain rings. Even though we had pathetic snowfall levels, the roads are still covered with sand, stone dust, and salt...depending on County, town, or city cycled thru.

Winter cycling presents spectacular vistas, just make sure you have red rear, and white front flashers. Oh and, if you HEAR a plow coming...get off the road now.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
whoa dude, that hit close to my heart there...NUTin wrong with studded tires, full fenders, and lots of insulated cycling gear for winter riding.

I destroyed a complete drivetrain on my winter bike this season, chain, cassette, and chain rings. Even though we had pathetic snowfall levels, the roads are still covered with sand, stone dust, and salt...depending on County, town, or city cycled thru.

Winter cycling presents spectacular vistas, just make sure you have red rear, and white front flashers. Oh and, if you HEAR a plow coming...get off the road now.
Ohhhh boy do I disagree! There is A LOT "wrong" with it!

I love getting on my bike as much as the next guy, but I have so little trust in people in thier cars, that I want NOTHING to do with riding my bike around them in the absolute BEST conditions. Now, make all intersections and corners blind with snow banks, all the road surfaces slippery with snow and ice and make the air temp 0 (or less) before the wind chill????? Yep, you are going to get a "nut job" label from me!!!!

Quick Reply: Spotted in Downtown Anchorage, anyone here?