Sponsored by:

Buying a Canadian car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Wow a 3% tax, if only it could work like that US --> Canada.
I know. I was a little shocked it wasn't more considering what I paid to get my own car back into the U.S. from 9m ...
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
fsm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is also a 6% import tax in Canada since manufactured outside North America (including when Canadians bring a Porsche from the US to Canada) so that explains part of the premium (as well as past fx rate).
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993

Canadian cars have baby seat hooks in the rear deck, you can see the 2 plastic covers, covering the hooks, KPH speedo, & day time running lights. Can be salt rusted out.
Hmmm - I think ANY 993 can have rust - especially those from the east side of the US - so get them checked out!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The metric to U.S. speedometer conversion is not a big deal. North Hollywood will change it over for about $300, the last time I checked. Or one of the Canadian Rennlisters with a U.S. car might want to swap their dual speedometer for a metric unit.

The problem with the U.S. dual speedos is that you can't read the inner metric scale with polarized sunglasses. So when I'm touring in Canada I usually use my Garmin as the speedo.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

I tried to buy this car...so I know a bit about it. Solid history - sold new in Montreal - owner has a fleet of cars. Not seen it live but spoke to the Porsche rep who had it in his showroom last summer. They want a lot of dough for it....mid $ 80's I was told. The tires were still original at the time - so needs rubber unless they changed them...but it is clean clean clean...
Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmmm - I think ANY 993 can have rust - especially those from the east side of the US - so get them checked out!
Yea, any car can have rust, but any car in the snow belt has a much higher chance of rust. East Coast winters trash cars, above & below the border.

Originally Posted by Rinty
The metric to U.S. speedometer conversion is not a big deal. North Hollywood will change it over for about $300, the last time I checked. Or one of the Canadian Rennlisters with a U.S. car might want to swap their dual speedometer for a metric unit.

The problem with the U.S. dual speedos is that you can't read the inner metric scale with polarized sunglasses. So when I'm touring in Canada I usually use my Garmin as the speedo.
My problem is most people just swap in a new speedo. So you have a car with 20kmi, that is switched to 0k. If there is not documentation of the swap, then the car has to be sold as "true miles unknown" & that lowers the price quite a bit.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Rinty
Drifting

If there is not documentation of the swap...Stealth993
I would just take a date marked picture of the speedo/odo before it was removed and have the shop certify the mileage/kilometrage on the work order.

I have to think that there is a protocol in the service community.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
I would just take a date marked picture of the speedo/odo before it was removed and have the shop certify the mileage/kilometrage on the work order.

I have to think that there is a protocol in the service community.
You would think, but there isn't. I've seen quite a few converted cars, some have a receipt with the old miles & new miles, some just have a new odo with no documentation. I see them for sale all the time as TMU (true miles unknown), the title is branded as such.

My friend has a Canadian C2 with the swap, & he just has a receipt with the old Clicks, & the new ODO that was used, so to get his miles, he needs to add the click covered to miles, then subtract the difference form when the OD was installed. What a PITA, & he paid less due to that. I think he has a TMU title even though he has the documentation.

I owned a Canadian Audi S4, I paid about 20% less for it.

My point is it adds a question to the car, regardless of the documentation.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...it adds a question...Stealth 993
Well this is good to know. When I bought my car a few years ago, I got a quote from North Hollywood to convert the speedo to metric, but ultimately decided to leave it alone.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Spidey 993

I called on the car today. I would like a Guards Red or Speed Yellow 993TT.

He wants $85k min.

Then add import fees...I see a Orange or Green GT3RS before this one in the garage.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
jnoble79
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the process of buying a Canadian 993 and importing it into the states. I went through the same consideration and ended up pulling the trigger on a 1996 C4S in Montreal last summer (2011).

I got some info from a helpful rennlister (asofine) about his experience importing in Cali, but hadnt seen all the info in one place, hence my intention to summarize my experience and post the links/info i do have. This is my first full length post, so bear with me. . . .

My main concerns prior to buying the car have been specifically highlighted in the above posts, but primarily came down to speedo conversion, possible rust, and daylight running lamps (which i decided i could live with or disconnect)

1. Changing the speedo from kmh to mph. This made me uncomfortable, as after hours of researching the process, there is no set protocol or certification of conversion (Mike S makes this point well) that I would be able to provide to a future purchaser if i was ever forced to sell for reasons I cant bear to contemplate!!. In the end I settled on having a bill of sale from the dealer I purchased the car from which was dated and stated the kilometers (and mile equivalent as per my request). Next I took pictures of the speedo coming out showing 84,633km, then a picture with the speedo coming back from Hollywood with 52,588 (converted at .6213 miles/km), and the km to conversion numbers printed on the Hollywood invoice. Obviously the car was not driven while the speedo was out, but i guess you cant really prove that! Lastly, after the conversion was all done, I had the required NY state inspection performed, and they post the miles to carfax I believe. All of this occurred in a 2 week period. Again, the lack of protocol or certification made me hesitate, and I though i would come out of the process with some documentation, but not 100%. Hopefully the car will speak for herself

2. Rust. I had the car thoroughly inspected for any signs of rust. This was specifically requested when the PPI was performed at the Porsche dealer in Montreal. The previous 2 owners had this car out only 6 months a year, and last driver said it never intentionally saw rain, but who knows. Anyway, no rush to speak of.

3. Getting to the border and not having all the necessary documentation when attempting to import the car at the customs office while driving it home from Montreal to NY. Ha! (But seriously, this kept me up nights thinking about sleeping at motel on the Canadian side while waiting for someone to fax me necessary paperwork, all the while sitting staring at my new to me 993!!)

In the end it was a beautiful car at a price i could live with and still afford the import duty and NY sales tax on the car. I think the sport seats really sealed the deal for me.

Importing process --
I drove the car from Montreal to New York and completed the import process at the US Customs and Border Protection office in Champlain, NY. Import duty is .025% of purchase price or book value, whichever is higher. Must have the vehicle insured if you are going to be driving it across the border at the same time you are going through the import process.

All the information and forms are online and can be completed to arriving at the Customs office. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

The below list may be incomplete, so definitely check the above link and do you homework, but from what I have in folder i gave to the customs officer,

1. Shippers or carriers original bill of landing
2. Foreign registration (which i think is the Ce4tificat D'Immatriculation)
3. EPA form 3520-1 (Need a letter from Porsche stating that the car is in compliance with the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards FMVSS)
4. DOT form HS-7 (Just need to fill this out, as the EPA has a list of Canadian vehicles considered by EPA to conform with US Emissions Requirements http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/canadian.htm)

It was a research intensive process, but worth every second, as the end result was my very first 993 in polar silver over black.

-Jon N
Attached Images  

Last edited by jnoble79; 03-19-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Smaller Picture
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Rinty
Drifting

That's even more work than bringing a U.S. car into Canada!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Spidey 993

Uncle...if was considering buying it, I'm not now. That's crazy, and upside down.

Quick Reply: Buying a Canadian car?