Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Remote Key Fob Programming made Easy Revised!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 10:06 AM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I have never had the horn alarm go off during the programming steps.
Andy :-)
hey Andy.
I have the alarm going off as soon as I attach battery ground strap.
i have new remote needing programming.
Can u assist me? Help?
TJ
Old 01-26-2022, 12:06 AM
slippytoad
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors
Morning guys,

Yesterday we did a quick video on how to program the Porsche 911 993 keyless entry remotes.

Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/2FXxd27JYgM
Thanks so much for this! It took me 5 tries but I eventually did it properly. This varies slightly from the PDF attached to this thread but it works! I now have a spare key fob
Old 03-20-2022, 01:50 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by slippytoad
Thanks so much for this! It took me 5 tries but I eventually did it properly. This varies slightly from the PDF attached to this thread but it works! I now have a spare key fob
glad to find these instructions my order from ecu doctors didn't come with any

seems from going back in this thread I am going to need a dealer to give me a PIN for the ECU in order to program it. Is that correct?
Old 05-15-2022, 10:55 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay777
There are a set of contacts that close when the key is inserted in the ignition. They're wired to the immobilizer and are important for programming. If they're bad (like mine are) you won't be able to program the FOBS. Nothing wrong with the immobilizer or the FOBS, the immo just isn't getting a signal it needs to enter program mode. ECU Docs did mine for me, likely using a fixture to simulate the needed signals.

The schematics suggest that the "gong" should sound when the door is open with the key in the ignition (mine doesn't). If yours doesn't sound you probably have the same problem.
Never realized I should have a door gong (and I don't)... Did you inspect the gong system before determining it was your key contacts that were toast?
Old 05-16-2022, 04:20 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

OK well quick update, I found a door gong relay & installed: still no immobilizer light in step 4
Tracked down an issue with the clutch wasn't in max out position - still no immobilizer light in step 4
Fuse 11 (engine lid light) turned out to be defective - still no immobilizer light in step 4

Attempted connecting to Alarm Unit with Durametric, and had all sorts of faults. Seemingly cannot clear them because it kept saying "could not connect". Also getting similar connectivity issues with my Airbag module (but not ECU), so I'm thinking it's a Durametric issue not a module issue.

I'm running out of ideas here... remove the front seats and do a visual inspection on my alarm box and immo box connectors?

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-16-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:12 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbed743
OK well quick update, I found a door gong relay & installed: still no immobilizer light in step 4
Tracked down an issue with the clutch wasn't in max out position - still no immobilizer light in step 4
Fuse 11 (engine lid light) turned out to be defective - still no immobilizer light in step 4

Attempted connecting to Alarm Unit with Durametric, and had all sorts of faults. Seemingly cannot clear them because it kept saying "could not connect". Also getting similar connectivity issues with my Airbag module (but not ECU), so I'm thinking it's a Durametric issue not a module issue.

I'm running out of ideas here... remove the front seats and do a visual inspection on my alarm box and immo box connectors?
I had the exact same problem with the immo not entering programming mode and ended up having to send my immo and key FOBS out to be programmed. I always suspected the key/buzzer contacts were flaky, but never bothered following up on until last month. The key contact is supposed to CLOSE when you rotate the key to ON and STAY CLOSED until the key is removed. So if you look at the programming procedure, the immo is expecting to see a constant 12 volts from that switch from the beginning to the end of procedure. In my case, the contacts closed ok when I turned the key on, but they opened when I moved the key just a little CCW. To prove that was causing the procedure to fail, I bypassed that switch by hardwiring 12 volts to the output side. Worked perfectly! You might want to give it a try.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:00 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
I had the exact same problem with the immo not entering programming mode and ended up having to send my immo and key FOBS out to be programmed. I always suspected the key/buzzer contacts were flaky, but never bothered following up on until last month. The key contact is supposed to CLOSE when you rotate the key to ON and STAY CLOSED until the key is removed. So if you look at the programming procedure, the immo is expecting to see a constant 12 volts from that switch from the beginning to the end of procedure. In my case, the contacts closed ok when I turned the key on, but they opened when I moved the key just a little CCW. To prove that was causing the procedure to fail, I bypassed that switch by hardwiring 12 volts to the output side. Worked perfectly! You might want to give it a try.
I think this makes a lot of sense. Presumably it's the only wire going from the key to the immo? Easier to access it at the key side or the Immo side?

Also, two questions about your Immo block before I pull the trigger: 1. How does your Immo block impact the original keyfob pairing procedure posted here, and 2. do I need my system to be functioning correctly (IE be able to get the light in the clock to lightup) for the Immo block to work?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-16-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:16 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Double Post

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-16-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:42 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

I think this makes a lot of sense. Presumably it's the only wire going from the key to the immo? Easier to access it at the key side or the Immo side?

Also, two questions about your Immo block before I pull the trigger: 1. How does your Immo block impact the original keyfob pairing procedure posted here, and 2. do I need my system to be functioning correctly (IE be able to get the light in the clock to lightup) for the Immo block to work?

Thanks!
No, there's also the #15 power from the ignition switch, which gets cycled on/off to enter the digits.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 05-16-2022, 10:43 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Originally Posted by systemsc
No, there's also the #15 power from the ignition switch, which gets cycled on/off to enter the digits.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge, but now I'm confused.

According to this: (https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...mobilizer2.htm), it's saying the "buzzer contact signal" (pin 12 in the underseat connector) is what's used to program the sequence in. Is this red/black X4/1 connector wire fed from the "15" 2nd ignition switch position hot wire?

For my purposes (to determine whether my ignition switch is the reason my immobilizer clock light won't come on), I'm looking to add +12V to the the "X" 1st ignition switch position wire, yes?

EDIT:

Researching this more I see there is not only the 3 position ignition switch, but also something called a "buzzer contact ignition lock" that could be the problem.
Is there supposed to be a buzzer noise in addition to the gong noise? Because I definitely do not have that. My gong only activates when the key is in position 2.

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-17-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:17 AM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, but now I'm confused.

According to this: (https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...mobilizer2.htm), it's saying the "buzzer contact signal" (pin 12 in the underseat connector) is what's used to program the sequence in. Is this red/black X4/1 connector wire fed from the "15" 2nd ignition switch position hot wire?

For my purposes (to determine whether my ignition switch is the reason my immobilizer clock light won't come on), I'm looking to add +12V to the the "X" 1st ignition switch position wire, yes?

EDIT:

Researching this more I see there is not only the 3 position ignition switch, but also something called a "buzzer contact ignition lock" that could be the problem.
Is there supposed to be a buzzer noise in addition to the gong noise? Because I definitely do not have that. My gong only activates when the key is in position 2.
It's pin 6 (red/blk) that's the #15 (key on) from the ignition switch to the immobilizer.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:12 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks!
To answer your questions:
1) The key programing/emergency start procedure in your owners manual is unaffected by IMMO BLOCK. Not true of ECU-type defeats which cause the warning light to flash continuously.
2) IMMO BLOCK doesn't care if the warning light in the clock is working - take it right out if you want.

Give it a try. The 30-day money-back warrantee makes it risk free..
-Jay

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 05-17-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:18 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, it's a little confusing. US market cars only have GONGs. RoW cars only have buzzers. The buzzer/key switch that activates both of them is separate from the main contact assembly (see pic).
The input to that switch (red) is constant power (terminal 30) thru fuse 11. The output of the switch (red/blk wire) goes to your gong relay, term 85 (behind the fuel gauge) and immobilizer pin 7(under the driver's seat).
When I did my temporary bypass to program FOBs, I found it easier to access that signal at the gong than at the immobilizer. If you try it, pull the gong relay, wrap a wire around its terminal 85 and plug it back in. It'll also work by wiring 12 volt to the socket and leaving the relay out.

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 05-17-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:22 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

... For my purposes (to determine whether my ignition switch is the reason my immobilizer clock light won't come on), I'm looking to add +12V to the the "X" 1st ignition switch position wire, yes?
No. You want to add 12 volts to Gong relay terminal 85 (or immo 7), and keep it there during the entire programming procedure. That'll simulate the key being in.
Maybe this will help understand how things are connected:

Old 05-17-2022, 10:03 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Originally Posted by jay@EZimmoblock.com
No. You want to add 12 volts to Gong relay terminal 85 (or immo 7), and keep it there during the entire programming procedure. That'll simulate the key being in.
Maybe this will help understand how things are connected:

Sure enough, sending +12V from the battery to gong relay pin 85 made my immobilizer light come on! Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this one

Probably makes sense to replace both the 3-position Ignition Switch (964 613 012 00) - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...on-switch.html
AND
the "buzzer contact ignition lock" (911 613 125 00) - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ct-switch.html
while I'm in there, yes?

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-17-2022 at 10:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jay@EZimmoblock.com (05-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Remote Key Fob Programming made Easy Revised!