Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Key Fob Programming made Easy Revised!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
My local dealership gave me a code that wasn't the code on the card which allowed me to program my spare key.

Not sure if the same system is in place in Europe as the US but maybe call another dealership?

You obviously need proof of ownership but otherwise it was easy to get them to give me the code.

G
I have a list of codes provided by my delivering dealer. Examples: radio code, alarm code, etc. Which specific code is used to program our fobs?
Also, does any member know if an OEM Porsche fob from outside the United States can be programmed in the United States and operate a U.S. Porsche?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally with a bit of "persuasion" I got those 4 digits! But I think the guy at the dealership is convinced I'll come back as he's persuaded that I'll to connect the car with their server
I'll prrogram my key fobs tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and have a great week-end!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

I have two (2) key fobs, both of which are original to my car. Both work perfectly as designed, identified as fobs #1 and #2. I am purchasing two (2) additional new fobs, identified as fobs #3 and #4. Can I simply program the additional new fobs #3 and #4 the same as #1 and #2 and have all of the fobs function the same?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

You can program 4 fobs but if you’re just adding two, you have to do all 4 in the last step of the procedure.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:11 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I will be adding two (2) new fobs in addition to the original fobs. Can I program the additional fobs to my cars code and have all four work identically or is there an additional step to be taken for the four to work identically?
Old 08-25-2019, 01:19 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I reread the key fob set up procedure 11-2.pdf and it appears even if I have two (2) operating fobs then I must follow the final step for each fob, including the additional fobs, in order for the entire group to work identically.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
My local dealership gave me a code that wasn't the code on the card which allowed me to program my spare key.

Not sure if the same system is in place in Europe as the US but maybe call another dealership?

You obviously need proof of ownership but otherwise it was easy to get them to give me the code.

G
Should be the same system, the dealer may have given you the radio unlock code or a key code related to the cut ignition key instead. Be aware I have seen some earlier cars sold into the European market seem to use a different remote, or one that was possibly added as a dealer-installed item, and so may also use a different procedure. I am reasonably confident the process should work with the 1996 and beyond Varioram cars, Not as confident that it works with 1995 cars sold in the USA market or the 1993-1995 cars sold outside the USA(ROW).
Others here may be able to provide validation that it works on their pre-1996 USA or ROW vehicle.
Andy
Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Jay777
Pro

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Thank you. I reread the key fob set up procedure 11-2.pdf and it appears even if I have two (2) operating fobs then I must follow the final step for each fob, including the additional fobs, in order for the entire group to work identically.
That's correct. The entire batch has to be programmed even though you have 2 working ones.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 PM
virtualcef
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the group, apologize if this has been asked and answered. Been trying to add 2 additional Fobs for a while. Followed the procedure, but can never get the immobilizer light to get to program mode (blinking). I have 1Fob that is working and it seems that all the prerequisites are good as well. Any thoughts before I head to Porsche to have them do it?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Jay777
Pro

There are a set of contacts that close when the key is inserted in the ignition. They're wired to the immobilizer and are important for programming. If they're bad (like mine are) you won't be able to program the FOBS. Nothing wrong with the immobilizer or the FOBS, the immo just isn't getting a signal it needs to enter program mode. ECU Docs did mine for me, likely using a fixture to simulate the needed signals.

The schematics suggest that the "gong" should sound when the door is open with the key in the ignition (mine doesn't). If yours doesn't sound you probably have the same problem.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualcef
New to the group, apologize if this has been asked and answered. Been trying to add 2 additional Fobs for a while. Followed the procedure, but can never get the immobilizer light to get to program mode (blinking). I have 1Fob that is working and it seems that all the prerequisites are good as well. Any thoughts before I head to Porsche to have them do it?
A common problem occurs from the ignition switch contacts bouncing when cycling the ignition switch off/on. This results in an incorrect entry of the four digit code.
If the immobilizer light functions, e.g. turns off after 10-15 seconds when the key is initially cycled, then the buzzer input (12V to pin 7) to the immobilizer is OK.

Read here; http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
Under; Porsche, Immobilizer 993

Last edited by Lorenfb; 10-15-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kosarn
Really this simple? Which one or where is serial number of the immobilizer?

I didn't get the PIN for immobilizer with my Targa and would need to code a new fob.
Didn't see a reply to this... any idea? Like many, I don't have the code card but need to program a FOB.

TIA
Old 11-13-2019, 01:48 AM
Huss
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Andy,
Does this procedure applies to the earlier version of 993's? I mean the 1995 and earlier.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:30 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Sagres74
Didn't see a reply to this... any idea? Like many, I don't have the code card but need to program a FOB.

TIA
I'd also like to know, as I didn't receive any code with my 993 from the previous owner. Also, is the code used to program the remotes the same code that is used to "emergency start" the vehicle if your remote is dead and you use the key to enter the vehicle? That process is described in the owner's manual but I'm not sure if it would be the same code.

Also curious about the code matching the last 4 of the immo serial.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
I'd also like to know, as I didn't receive any code with my 993 from the previous owner. Also, is the code used to program the remotes the same code that is used to "emergency start" the vehicle if your remote is dead and you use the key to enter the vehicle? That process is described in the owner's manual but I'm not sure if it would be the same code.

Also curious about the code matching the last 4 of the immo serial.
I got the code from the local dealership. I just brought my cars title into the shop and they printed out a sheet detailing everything I needed to know.

Quick Reply: Remote Key Fob Programming made Easy Revised!