993 Forum 1995-1998

Ques on engine mount replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Jamesh38
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ques on engine mount replacement

So, I just bought my first 993 ('94 model, tip) and loving it - pics to follow soon...

Meanwhile, hoping for a bit of advice - took it for its first service and the mechanic (Techart here in Hong Kong) said I needed the engine mounts replaced. This cost me around $US 900 for the parts (left and right) + $130 for the labour. I was wondering;

1) How important is it to get fixed (ie: what happens if you didn't)?

2) Is this replacement common on 993s?

3) Seems expensive - does it sound right?

4) After the replacement, a sqeaking noise comes from the engine when going over bumps so I assume to do with the replacement - any ideas what could cause this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Would not thnk that you would have any major issues from not replacing them beyond poor handling and maybe hard shifting.
2. Yes, it is common for the cars of this age. Did you replace with original C2 mounts?
3. Parts seem very expensive - but not sure of the costs associated living in Hong Kong. My quote a year ago for C2 mounts (the most expensive option) was $258/ea from Sunset Porsche. Some opt for the less expensive C4 mount, or the stiffer RS mounts and Wevo mounts.
4. Maybe the mounting bolts are not tight.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Porsche ownership in Hong Kong, where unfortunately sourcing parts from Jebsen will run you 30-80% more than it would in the U.S. In the past when I've needed a fair number of parts, I've purchased from Sunset in Oregon or Gert in Belgium as even with shipping to HK the all-in costs were much less.

The stock motor mounts fail with age and as they fail, the engine sags and if you drive aggressively you can feel it "pendulum" as you drive around corners. I replaced the mounts in my ex 1994 993 cab about 3-4 years ago with the motor mounts pulled from my turbo as I had installed RS mounts and frankly I didn't want to pay the ridiculous Jebsen price for factory C2 mounts when my Turbo mounts were still usable.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

as with any worn part on a car.. replacing it sooner = enjoy it longer.. and you want to avoid any damage\stress\danger it can add to other components. Having the engine loose impacts the balance of the car and could stress some of the other drivetrain components. I would get is fixed.. I went with the RS mounts as the ones on my 97nb were bottomed out, now the engine is one with the chassis vs it floating around before.

phil.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wevos are excellent and not very expensive relative to the factory mounts. They will last a lifetime.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Wevos are excellent and not very expensive relative to the factory mounts. They will last a lifetime.
+2. Get the ones with black pillows if you are more on the comfortable side. Labor sounds about right.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 PM
camlob
Pro

Thats too expensive. Get wevo's as others have said. I got blue pillows.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamesh38
4) After the replacement, a sqeaking noise comes from the engine when going over bumps so I assume to do with the replacement - any ideas what could cause this?
I'd probably take it back to the shop and have them check the bolts are still properly torqued. However, its possible you just have a new squeak that is unrelated to this... Has your suspension ever been upgraded? How many miles/km on her?

ps. For those offering suggestions of Wevos or otherwise....sounds like he's already swapped for factory mounts since he says "4) After the replacement, a sqeaking noise....".
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Jamesh38
Track Day

Many thanks all for the great advice - much appreciated and very useful. I feel better knowing, although expensive, it was something that should have been done...

Vincer77 - yep, original c2 mounts and thanks, will check the mounting bolts

David - good to meet another honkie here and appreciate the tip on importing some parts. Good to know!

element - thanks, makes sense..

caoscreature - thanks, will check out the wevos (if there's a next time!)

kjr914 - thanks - hopefully the new mounts. Will get em checked out!

Quick Reply: Ques on engine mount replacement